Hyderabad

Mariyam

Anyone cooks good Biryani here? I tried once but dum biryani is bit tricky and it was barely edible :sad_smile:
My mom cooks awesome Biryani. Proper Hyderabadi dum Biryani. Not those pressure cooker ones.
@Mariyam Unlike the ones you get in restaurants, the one my mom cooks is very mild and flavourful.

I agree some restaurants make Biryani way too spicy. I feel Cafe Bahar has the right balance on flavor and spiciness.

Sent from my SM-M315F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Anyone cooks good Biryani here? I tried once but dum biryani is bit tricky and it was barely edible :sad_smile:

Follow this recipe. I have used it several times with very good results. Making Biryani is actually not that difficult. The only tricky part is taking the rice out on time. It has to be 80% done, similar to al dente in pasta. After 6-7 minutes of boiling, use a ladle or a big spoon to take out some rice - about a teaspoonful and check if it is 80% boiled. If it is, then filter out the water. Else, wait another minute and switch off the stove. Timing is key with the rice - wait too long and your Biryani ends up becoming mushy. But if you do this 2-3 times, you will develop a feel for sensing when the rice is ready.

Edited by nevada

45 minutes ago, nevada said:

Follow this recipe. I have used it several times with very good results. Making Biryani is actually not that difficult. The only tricky part is taking the rice out on time. It has to be 80% done, similar to al dente in pasta. After 6-7 minutes of boiling, use a ladle or a big spoon to take out some rice - about a teaspoonful and check if it is 80% boiled. If it is, then filter out the water. Else, wait another minute and switch off the stove. Timing is key with the rice - wait too long and your Biryani ends up becoming mushy. But if you do this 2-3 times, you will develop a feel for sensing when the rice is ready.

Awesome yummy recipe. But I am bit like Umar Akmal...i tend to put on weight even if I drink water. So Biryani will make me an Azam Khan overnight :giggle:

2 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Awesome yummy recipe. But I am bit like Umar Akmal...i tend to put on weight even if I drink water. So Biryani will make me an Azam Khan overnight :giggle:

One meal won't make you fat. Eat heavy food like Biryani in the afternoon and have a light dinner. 

3 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

I have made this in a pressure cooker.  Key is deep fried onions, and layer it with gravy and rice. Use kewda/rose water and panner . You can do the same with meat. Very important to garnish with desi ghee and cashew. If you like add kishmish if you like Kashmiri style.  The way he savours and eats it is a pleasure to watch. Try this recipe folks!

Edited by coffee_rules

6 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

I have made this in a pressure cooker.  Key is deep fried onions, and layer it with gravy and rice. You can do the same with meat. The way he savours and eats it is a pleasure to watch. Try this recipe folks!

Looks delicious.

Wife and mom make it well. They layer the biriyani as he does - but put it into the oven at a lower temperature for a bit. The onions come out crispy and are really tasty... Usually don't like biriyani - but love dum biriyani 

6 minutes ago, bharathh said:

Looks delicious.

Wife and mom make it well. They layer the biriyani as he does - but put it into the oven at a lower temperature for a bit. The onions come out crispy and are really tasty... Usually don't like biriyani - but love dum biriyani 

Yes Oven or slow cooker gets the best result for dum biryani. Close the lid with a cloth and slow cook on a stove. The masala flavor in the rice gets deep if you use the dum technique 

57 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

I have made this in a pressure cooker.  Key is deep fried onions, and layer it with gravy and rice. Use kewda/rose water and panner . You can do the same with meat. Very important to garnish with desi ghee and cashew. If you like add kishmish if you like Kashmiri style.  The way he savours and eats it is a pleasure to watch. Try this recipe folks!

Looks delicious. :hungry:

10 hours ago, nikred said:

My mom cooks awesome Biryani. Proper Hyderabadi dum Biryani. Not those pressure cooker ones.
@Mariyam Unlike the ones you get in restaurants, the one my mom cooks is very mild and flavourful.

I agree some restaurants make Biryani way too spicy. I feel Cafe Bahar has the right balance on flavor and spiciness.

I always thought you can ask restaurant to make it spicy according to your requirement. 

For take-away, we always ask for double masala and they include more spicy rice than white rice. 

For those who like less spicy, they give more white rice. 

I like biryani at a restaurant - Swadesh in Kondapur. 

But apart from that we order biryani only when we are unable to reach a consensus on food to be ordered within 30 mins on Sunday and no one is in mood to cook. 

One of my favourite Indian city for food travails. Irani Tea, Biriyani, Paaye on Sunday Morning for Brunch in the old town.

Necklace road walk after dinner in the night, lived very near to that place.

Good vibes and being a Punjabi, loved the awesome dance moves in Telugu movies and went to cinema halls with Telugu friends to just whistle and dance. Awesome culture.

10 minutes ago, poyzzplaidwell said:

One of my favourite Indian city for food travails. Irani Tea, Biriyani, Paaye on Sunday Morning for Brunch in the old town.

Necklace road walk after dinner in the night, lived very near to that place.

Good vibes and being a Punjabi, loved the awesome dance moves in Telugu movies and went to cinema halls with Telugu friends to just whistle and dance. Awesome culture.

Well said. 

Mumbaikars won't understand that.

On 8/9/2021 at 9:01 PM, nikred said:

mild is subjective :burnout: