Watching Bumrah on the ground..

vvvslaxman

https://wisden.com/series-stories/england-v-india/jasprit-bumrah-a-bowler-tv-doesnt-do-justice?

I’ve watched Bumrah run into bowl hundreds of times in my life. I’ve seen split screens and slow motions from seven thousand angles that focus on his elbow, his point of release, his windmilling arms and unorthodox run-up. And yet, in person, I’d never seen anything like it. And as a fan, that’s all I could ever want.

The author is right. Watching bowlers bowl on the ground is surreal.  Same way the shots look different when you watch on the ground.  TV just doesn't do justice. It will be awesome to watch him live.

Edited by vvvslaxman

I took this video to capture his short run up but amazing pace…

At start it appears bit long run up but actually initial part is just fast walking steps then the actual generation of pace is through that short run up and the science involved in his bowling action. 

I hope he carry’s on as long as possible but I cannot imagine the amount of stress loading up on his arm-shoulder joint and how long it’ll survive…

Edited by asterix
38 minutes ago, cric_fan said:

Freak bowler. The hyperextension does play a big part in the pace he is able to generate (ala Akhtar). Due to the short runup, he should be able to maintain fitness as there is not much strain on the body.

This is an angle I have thought about too.

Lots of people think that his action is putting a lot of strain on his body. But his action is far better than it looks.

And as Bumrah is not running in much, he is able to stay fresher and sustain speeds much better than many others.

I remember him bowling a 140 kph to 149 kph spell early this year, after bowling 25 overs for the innings in the heat and humidity of Chennai. (  He felt that the wicket had become flatter and he needed to bowl quicker ). The other pacers in the Indian team could not hit their peak speeds at same time. 

This is an interesting angle to his bowling.

7 hours ago, express bowling said:

This is an angle I have thought about too.

Lots of people think that his action is putting a lot of strain on his body. But his action is far better than it looks.

And as Bumrah is not running in much, he is able to stay fresher and sustain speeds much better than many others.

I remember him bowling a 140 kph to 149 kph spell early this year, after bowling 25 overs for the innings in the heat and humidity of Chennai. (  He felt that the wicket had become flatter and he needed to bowl quicker ). The other pacers in the Indian team could not hit their peak speeds at same time. 

This is an interesting angle to his bowling.

Bumrah won't get tired through running but his shoulders and back muscles would break down if not managed properly.

He gets all his pace from his upper body strength while traditional fast bowlers like Lillee and Marshall generated pace from lower body.

Bumrah is like a Jaguar car, luxury vehicle but needs to be used carefully.

21 hours ago, asterix said:

I took this video to capture his short run up but amazing pace…

At start it appears bit long run up but actually initial part is just fast walking steps then the actual generation of pace is through that short run up and the science involved in his bowling action. 

I hope he carry’s on as long as possible but I cannot imagine the amount of stress loading up on his arm-shoulder joint and how long it’ll survive…

TBH I couldn't see anything. I couldn't spot the ball in the entire vid.

Great seat, but that giant screen in front should show a live feed (close up).

Edited by Mariyam

Recent cricinfo poetry on his run-up:

What most makes him none of this is the approach to the crease which, on days we're feeling lazy, we call a run-up. It's not. Nobody is quite sure how many steps he takes in all. It starts with ten steps of walking which, and I'm no expert, doesn't seem to be a great way to build the momentum that you need to bowl in the high 80s mph. 

His left hand, holding the ball, sways out a little before it comes back to give his right hand the ball. He's a little hunched, peering in at the batter, and if you didn't know better, from behind, very briefly this could be Murali. It isn't, as we're about to see.

Then the steps get shorter, but faster. He sets himself with a tiny skip like a child riding a toy horse. How many steps don't ask. Ten, 12, 14, nobody can say. There's a left-arm spinner by the name of Nauman Ali who has a longer run-up. This is less a run-up, more a teen tip-toeing out of the house late at night before realising the parents are up and, oh Lord, better skedaddle out of here sharpish.

Then he's at you.