South Africa A vs India A : Nov/Dec 2021 (3 Un official test at Bloemfontein)

Negi95

16 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Porel is still raw.

He has height in his favor, but hasn't demonstrated the consistency or pace that marks out the top prospects.  

If he stays injury free and keeps developing, he'll play for India no doubt.

He is consistent but lacks pace. He reminds of McGrath. 

If we are looking at a free flowing batsman, Prithvi Shaw is not bad in that slot either.

The point is how many Openers do we take in the squad.

Rohit/KL/Gill/Mayank...Is there a case for Shaw? Tough one...

I know from a Purist point of view, Gill looks more organised but has his own flaws.

I personally feel, Shaw is more of an impact player ...a La Sehwag mode

But he needs some serious backing, doesnt he?

53 minutes ago, afan said:

If we are looking at a free flowing batsman, Prithvi Shaw is not bad in that slot either.

The point is how many Openers do we take in the squad.

Rohit/KL/Gill/Mayank...Is there a case for Shaw? Tough one...

I know from a Purist point of view, Gill looks more organised but has his own flaws.

I personally feel, Shaw is more of an impact player ...a La Sehwag mode

But he needs some serious backing, doesnt he?

Shaw was hard-done if you look at it objectively.

His 'cough syrup' situation was perfectly timed to allow Rohit Sharma to become test opener.  And then Gill was able to play that Gabba innings that bought him a longer rope than Shaw's domestic test success. 

Shaw's batting style is badly needed in India's white ball setup.  I am waiting to see how Dravid handles him.  Not just as a player after he gets selected - but how he goes about getting him in there - and how quickly.

If he persists with keeping Shaw out of Indian white ball squads, I will be slightly surprised; and deeply disappointed.

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

His 'cough syrup' situation was perfectly timed to allow Rohit Sharma to become test opener.  And then Gill was able to play that Gabba innings that bought him a longer rope than Shaw's domestic test success. 

Shaw's batting style is badly needed in India's white ball setup.  I am waiting to see how Dravid handles him.  Not just as a player after he gets selected - but how he goes about getting him in there - and how quickly.

If he persists with keeping Shaw out of Indian white ball squads, I will be slightly surprised; and deeply disappointed.

Wow

25 minutes ago, Lord said:

Sarfaraz needs to be given a chance soon

Irrespective of how well Shaw and Sarfaraz do well with the bat, they need to be told to get in shape whole playing in domestics or A team cricket else not be picked at all for the national side.

With their shockingly poor fitness, they'll anyways not be able to build a good international career.

1 minute ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Irrespective of how well Shaw and Sarfaraz do well with the bat, they need to be told to get in shape whole playing in domestics or A team cricket else not be picked at all for the national side.

With their shockingly poor fitness, they'll anyways not be able to build a good international career.

if Pant and Rohit can play in Test team without being in shape,why make the rules for only youngsters

Sarfaraz looks leaner than before

FFndjZuVQAYAfFz?format=jpg&name=large

2 hours ago, putrevus said:

Mcgrath when he was young had enough pace.He always could get bounce with his height.

McGrath was way more accurate. 

Tall guys will always have more chances of being effective as pace bowlers - even a 'not great' length can become threatening to the batsman simply because of trajectory and bounce.

9 hours ago, sandeep said:

Iyer?? For SA?

Because he scored a  couple of good innings on a slow low track in Kanpur?

Waah.

I agree. However, does he deserve a chance to prove us wrong? His struggles are in odi where you are forced to play bouncers. Remember starc and hazelwood bombarding him with bouncer barrage lol. 

I am hoping he can sort of fend it off in tests as he can duck, take it on or shoulder it like the Dracula. I don't have much hopes for him though in bouncy wickets. Just praying he can sort of survive and tire out bowlers. 

5 hours ago, Lord said:

if Pant and Rohit can play in Test team without being in shape,why make the rules for only youngsters

Believe it or not both pant and rohit easily pass the fitness tests. They have good endurance. Shocking yes I know. They actually can run all day with that frame. Imagine them actually getting more lean and toned. Would be even better. 

7 hours ago, Lord said:

Rohit is a senior pro aged 34.
He was never/rarely that fat in his 20s.

So, you want to compare 22 year old Shaw with 34 year old Rohit Sharma and say if the latter can play, why not the former.

6 hours ago, putrevus said:

Some conspiracy theory you have got there.

I'm not saying it was a 'conspiracy'.  Just that timing worked out poorly for shaw. 

And that if you look at it, he was 3 times unlucky - first when on his first aus tour, he got injured right before it.  Then the cough syrup robbed him of chances to solidify his test opener slot, then on 2nd aus tour, he gets dropped off of one single test match.  That too the pink ball one.  When the whole team got out for 36.  And then Gill bats so well.   

That's quite a streak of bad luck for him.  And Gill hasn't exactly set it on fire since then either - I don't know if I 100% believe his calf strain story for opting out of the England tour.  I mean, we don't have facts, but it was a touch too convenient.

8 hours ago, Lord said:

Rohit wasn't this fat when he was 22-23. Pant gets a bit of leeway because of what he did with the bat earlier this year (when he was a lot more fitter). If he continues to be fat, he will lose his place as well.

12 hours ago, sandeep said:

His cough syrup thing is his own doing. If not Rohit Sharma, other youngsters such as Gill would have been tried in that series against SA. There is no dearth of openers in Indian domestic circuit. You cannot blame anyone but himself for what he did and missing that series.

Gill grabbed his opportunity with both hands and played that amazing GABBA innings and got a deserving long rope. So, is that performance from Gill also is conspired to keep Shaw away.

Shaw had done well in his first test series (a two test series vs WI at home) and now we are calling him unlucky to miss out on other chances (as if there is no other youngster capable). So many batsmen played for India in test cricket for only few opportunities and still kept away due to whatever reasons in the past and Prithvi is still in the scheme of things for team India.

If you say that Karun Nair is kept away due to politics, that makes sense since the middle order has been perennially bad for a long time and Karun did not do much wrong to loose his spot for the middle order veterans. 

Prithvi Shaw is still very young and has a long time to build good impactful career in tests as well ODI cricket. Let WC 2023 be over, and lot of spots be opened for the next batch of youngsters. Lets not look everything from a conspiracy angle.