How did Congress manage to win 2009 election just few months after 26/11 attacks?

Austin 3:!6

Short answer: it's the economy, stupid. Decent growth like the rest of the world in that time, handouts like farm loan waiver, govt salary increases, shielding people from petrol price increase by kicking the can down the road etc. 

U can build awesome infra like golden quadrilateral and increase price of kerosene (poor man's fuel), u will lose like NDA 1.0

Why did the supposed economic reformer like Modi give out 500 a month to crores of farmers in his first term ? Coz there's no winning multiple elections without such actions, kulcha & mandir only get u so far. 

7 minutes ago, EnterTheVoid said:

Ours was such a weak and pathetic response. 

We had the voice recordings of the bloody handlers sitting in Pakistan, giving orders.

All we ended up doing was writing Pakistan some angry letters. Which they promptly binned.

We banned cricket too.

That was the biggest counter punch by congress...you attack us and we wont play you :two_thumbs_up:

Unfortunately Advani started the EVM tampering issue after 2009 polls which haunt BJP even today...

My guess is there was a combination of factors like strategic voting based on caste instead of religion benefitting congress, very low turnout and TV channels influencing public through soft news.

The advent of social media & media crooks effectively tumbled Sardesais & NDTV  in 2013.

Edited by diga

7 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

I get a feeling that Singhvi ji will sneak into BJP very soon. One has to go through his twitter history and he has become bit nationalist in past few months. 

I’ve same feeling about Manish Tiwari… but the way Modi going on “Sabka Vishwaas & Sabka Prayaas” BS, I don’t think NDA govt will last long…

Edited by asterix

The same way Modi will lose election once Congress gets rid of the moron Gandhi and the opposition puts forth a leader with vision and governance track record. Until then Jai Modi Jai Bharat..dont see happening in 10 years or so bcos of Gandhi. But the Modi government has been such a disappointment but no alternative. He is what we got.

Coz BJP didn't had good enough leaders to challenge Congis..  MMS did had a decent enough 1st run.

I am not sure war was an option...  Parliament attack 2001 under NDA proved that which was an act of war...  Although the UPA govt.  foolishly expected some big actions from foreign powers that didn't happen. 

Modi himself acted beyond foolishly after Pathankot attack in 2014 on our freakin air base.. Invited ISI on our land to investigate..  Nothing came out of it except repeat of 2008 dossiers after dossiers. 

BJP didn't lose any major state elections after that debacle too.  Opposition failed to cash on it just like BJP in 2009.

8 hours ago, speed_thrills said:

Modi is as coward as MMS, narrative building aside he developed cold feet over one PoW afte Pakistan tried to attack our military installations in Feb 2019. 

That's a fact...  Indian air force after that skirmish realized the lack of Awacs in the region to monitor possible Pak air force incursions.  We have ordered few from Israel last I heard. 

If not for Abhinandan & the other unknown pilot's bravery...  Pak air force was looking to target Rajouri military base of India.   Abhi & co intercepted them in Indian territory & pushed them back.  That's how far they were willing to go. 

Air strike prior to that did kill some hundereds terrorists on launch pads but I didn't understand the hesitation to attack Pak Army bases instead...  We should have razed them to the ground.  Target at least 50-100 Pak army men.  Pakistan didn't hesitated the day later. 

Edited by Lone Wolf