Light at the end of the CoViD 19 tunnel? The end of the pandemic may be near.

BacktoCricaddict

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(22)00100-3/fulltext

Hope this guy is right

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use the term pandemic to refer to the extraordinary societal efforts over the past 2 years to respond to a new pathogen that have changed how individuals live their lives and how policy responses have developed in governments around the world. These efforts have saved countless lives globally. New SARS-CoV-2 variants will surely emerge and some may be more severe than omicron. Immunity, whether infection or vaccination derived, will wane, creating opportunities for continued SARS-CoV-2 transmission. Given seasonality, countries should expect increased potential transmission in winter months.

The impacts of future SARS-CoV-2 transmission on health, however, will be less because of broad previous exposure to the virus, regularly adapted vaccines to new antigens or variants, the advent of antivirals, and the knowledge that the vulnerable can protect themselves during future waves when needed by using high-quality masks and physical distancing.

COVID-19 will become another recurrent disease that health systems and societies will have to manage. For example, the death toll from omicron seems to be similar in most countries to the level of a bad influenza season in northern hemisphere countries. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated the worse influenza season during the past decade in 2017–18 caused about 52 000 influenza deaths with a likely peak of more than 1500 deaths per day.

The era of extraordinary measures by government and societies to control SARS-CoV-2 transmission will be over. After the omicron wave, COVID-19 will return but the pandemic will not.

1 hour ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(22)00100-3/fulltext

Hope this guy is right

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use the term pandemic to refer to the extraordinary societal efforts over the past 2 years to respond to a new pathogen that have changed how individuals live their lives and how policy responses have developed in governments around the world. These efforts have saved countless lives globally. New SARS-CoV-2 variants will surely emerge and some may be more severe than omicron. Immunity, whether infection or vaccination derived, will wane, creating opportunities for continued SARS-CoV-2 transmission. Given seasonality, countries should expect increased potential transmission in winter months.

The impacts of future SARS-CoV-2 transmission on health, however, will be less because of broad previous exposure to the virus, regularly adapted vaccines to new antigens or variants, the advent of antivirals, and the knowledge that the vulnerable can protect themselves during future waves when needed by using high-quality masks and physical distancing.

COVID-19 will become another recurrent disease that health systems and societies will have to manage. For example, the death toll from omicron seems to be similar in most countries to the level of a bad influenza season in northern hemisphere countries. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated the worse influenza season during the past decade in 2017–18 caused about 52 000 influenza deaths with a likely peak of more than 1500 deaths per day.

The era of extraordinary measures by government and societies to control SARS-CoV-2 transmission will be over. After the omicron wave, COVID-19 will return but the pandemic will not.

Ignoring ignorant trolls is the way to go.

Back to the subject at hand - intuitively this feels like its the case.  But the big assumption here is that omicron or future variants won't cause more serious symptoms, and that there are no major long-term health consequences of getting infected, post recovery.  If those 2 concerns are addressed with whatever combination of herd immunity, vaccines, boosters etc, than yes, a limp back to a 'new normal' may well already be underway.  

I think mask wearing is here to stay in the medium term, if not longer.

22 minutes ago, kepler37b said:

Covid is NOT a flu. It's a disease that is capable of systematic inflammation.

Millions of  people across the world are suffering from autoimmune diseases Linger after the infection subsides. Called long covid.

I have been free of Covid for a month, but still suffering from after effects. 

Thats terrible.  Hope you recover fully, and soon. 

4 hours ago, sandeep said:

Ignoring ignorant trolls is the way to go.

Mike Tyson said it best - Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face :laugh:

Anti vaxx pests are the same. Talk **** and undermine the medical profession, than, run to them for a "cure" when they contact COVID.

Luckily, such pests are few and far between.

7 hours ago, sandeep said:

Thats terrible.  Hope you recover fully, and soon. 

It has been a very painful phase and do not what surprises that are in hold for me. Off from work for 2 months.   All Doctors are saying is "just wait and watch"

Just chugging along with support from parents.

DO ALL YOU CAN DO TO AVOID COVID. Cannot emphasize it more. 

Edited by kepler37b

2 hours ago, kepler37b said:

It has been a very painful phase and do not what surprises that are in hold for me. Off from work for 2 months.   All Doctors are saying is "just wait and watch"

According to the forum's anti vax pest, COVID isn't real.

7 hours ago, kepler37b said:

Hope you feel better & recover... can you share some of your symptoms & whats keeping you from going back to work  ?(if shareable publicly) 

16 hours ago, kepler37b said:

Covid is NOT a flu. It's a disease that is capable of systematic inflammation.

Influenza was the same a century back! Covid isn't any different in reality, the only question, for me, is where did it originate (from) because if it's a "human" thing then the *s are responsible for more deaths than any other tragedy post WW2 :hmpf:

On 1/21/2022 at 2:23 PM, diga said:

Hope you feel better & recover... can you share some of your symptoms & whats keeping you from going back to work  ?(if shareable publicly) 

a) Burning in hands if I put any kind of pressure on hand muscles

b) Carpel tunnel like symptoms in right hand. Cannot use keyboard for more than 20 minutes.

c)  Ankle pain with numbness in the left foot.

Consulted a neuro. He said "Wait and watch for three months. These are often post covid symptoms". So I have to endure them.

Consider my situation as a warning. Do everything to avoid Covid.  

On 1/21/2022 at 10:08 AM, EnterTheVoid said:

According to the forum's anti vax pest, COVID isn't real.

Well, the medical community is not helping

• First WHO said it does NOT spread from Human to Human
    • Then they said that it will spread
  • First they said masks are not useful
    • Now they say they are useful.
  • No one expected the severe dip in quality of life due to post covid complications. And now they have recognized it.
    • From some days all these fools called Long Covid as something "inside the head"
    • Now the research has found the cause of Long Covid, but still the cure is not know
  • They failed to recognize the mental impact of the disease. Atleast now it is being recognized. 
  • The treatment protocol for severe COVID keeps on changing.

With all these intellectual somersaults, i can understand if someone looses confidence on medical establishment.

But I still think the vaccinations are our best weapons. 

There is still no evidence that the next variant will be less severe than Omicron or if Omicron will give everlasting immunity. There is a possibility that the next variant may be as severe as Delta and also more transmissible. 

We keep going back to Spanish flu in 1918 but back then Global travel was not this frequent and easy. Spanish flu variants it would have died in the same country without getting a chance to travel. Less spread , less variants. 

I still feel this will be a never ending cycle unless G7 steps up the global vaccination program. Vaccinating everyone equally should be the priority now

5 hours ago, kepler37b said:

Well, the medical community is not helping

• First WHO said it does NOT spread from Human to Human
    • Then they said that it will spread
  • First they said masks are not useful
    • Now they say they are useful.
  • No one expected the severe dip in quality of life due to post covid complications. And now they have recognized it.
    • From some days all these fools called Long Covid as something "inside the head"
    • Now the research has found the cause of Long Covid, but still the cure is not know
  • They failed to recognize the mental impact of the disease. Atleast now it is being recognized. 
  • The treatment protocol for severe COVID keeps on changing.

With all these intellectual somersaults, i can understand if someone looses confidence on medical establishment.

But I still think the vaccinations are our best weapons. 

It's not so much losing confidence in the medical establishment, it's the outright denial of the virus that's the problem.

You have people that think COVID is just the flu. And they'd rather get COVID than take the vaccine.

So many people died from COVID. If you asked these anti vax pests, those people died from other ailments but COVID was ruled as the cause anyway. 

This goes far beyond hesitation about the vaccine. 

2 hours ago, ash said:

There is still no evidence that the next variant will be less severe than Omicron or if Omicron will give everlasting immunity. There is a possibility that the next variant may be as severe as Delta and also more transmissible. 

We keep going back to Spanish flu in 1918 but back then Global travel was not this frequent and easy. Spanish flu variants it would have died in the same country without getting a chance to travel. Less spread , less variants. 

I still feel this will be a never ending cycle unless G7 steps up the global vaccination program. Vaccinating everyone equally should be the priority now

I dreamed about a situation where every human being is locked up inside their houses for an year with state supplying free food and utilities. Only emergency medical operations are allowed. That is the only solution for this fiasco.

But I guess we are descendant of apes and people will go mad with that iron willed discipline. So let us endure this crap for few more years.

9 minutes ago, kepler37b said:

I dreamed about a situation where every human being is locked up inside their houses for an year with state supplying free food and utilities. Only emergency medical operations are allowed

This is literally the plot of a movie - Contagion 

On 1/20/2022 at 8:38 PM, kepler37b said:

v. sorry to hear that - I wish you a safe and smooth recovery! as someone with chronic illness, I imagine it must be very tough dealing with day-to-day life and coping with the manifold ways in which one's body has become fragile