"Slip Of Tongue": Former Pakistan Skipper Disagrees With Rohit Sharma Terming Ravichandran Ashwin An "All-Time Great"

6in08hvg_ravichandran-ashwin-bcci_625x300_09_March_22.jpg?im=FeatureCrop,algorithm=dnn,width=806,height=605
Rohit Sharma had termed Ravichandran Ashwin an "all-time great" after the Mohali Test.

Team India's splendid innings victory against Sri Lanka in the opening Test in Mohali was a complete team effort. On one hand, Ravindra Jadeja displayed a world-class all-round effort that included a knock of 175 not out apart from taking nine wickets in the match. Other major contributions included Rishabh Pant's 96 with the bat. However, one name that may not have been talked about a lot was that of Ravichandran Ashwin. Along with Jadeja, Ashwin was one of the main architects of the win. Not only did he score a half-century, he also claimed six wickets in the match to help his side finish the game early.

In the process, Ashwin also went past Kapil Dev's tally of Test wickets to go second in the all-time list of Indian Test wicket-takers.

Ashwin received immense praise from skipper Rohit, who even termed him an all-time great. After the match, Rohit had said: "He is an all-time great in my eyes. He is playing for so many years and performed for the country. So many match-winning performances, so for me, he is an all-time great. People might have different point of views but from where I see, he is an all-time great for me."

However, former Pakistan skipper Rashid Latif said he disagrees with Rohit.

According to Latif, Ashwin is a "great" bowler, but he is yet to fall in the bracket of an "all-time great" due to his performances overseas.

"Ashwin, no doubt, is a great bowler. He has brought variations to his bowling. If you look at Ashwin in home conditions with SG ball, no doubt he is the best spinner in India. However, in away conditions, I would not agree with his (Rohit's) statement. Kumble was very good, he performed really well. Even Jadeja has performed really well. In the past, Bishan Singh Bedi was brilliant," Latif said on the Caught Behind YouTube channel.

Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com

"If we talk only in India, no doubt he is good. I think it (Rohit's statement) might have been a slip of tongue. It is a way of motivating the players," he added.

The second match is set to begin from March 12 in Bengaluru.

I think Ashwin is already an Indian ATG but not yet in the GOAT category as Anil Kumble is more successful than him.

Utter nonsense , Ashwin is an ATG by any standards. Murali averaged 75 is Australia and 45 in India.Ashwin should have done better in some countries, answer is yes but that applies to all players.

Unlike Murali who did not have anyone else to share wickets, Ashwin like Warne has to fight for his wickets with Jadeja and fast bowlers even in India.

Rashid Latif is a moron if he thinks Ashwin is not an ATG or anyone who thinks Ashwin is not ATG is an idiot.

Edited by putrevus
31 minutes ago, sarcastic said:
6in08hvg_ravichandran-ashwin-bcci_625x300_09_March_22.jpg?im=FeatureCrop,algorithm=dnn,width=806,height=605
Rohit Sharma had termed Ravichandran Ashwin an "all-time great" after the Mohali Test.

I think Ashwin is already an Indian ATG but not yet in the GOAT category as Anil Kumble is more successful than him.

who cares what Latif says... he is not as cringey as some other greenbros though

Just now, Vijy said:

In all places except for SC.

Half information. Pak designed pitches to not help Lillee. Even Pak pace bowlers struggled (much like the recent test versus Pak v Aus which has Cummins, Starc, etc.) in the series that Lillee played in. 

Issue with spinners like Ashwin is that they are mostly good only on rank turners ... Play him in Pak on the R'pindi pitch and he is likely to struggle as well 

And among top teams, on Ind & SL tend to rely on rank turners. While good pace bowlers can do well in SENA, WI, and even in SC at many venues.  

Edited by zen
5 minutes ago, zen said:

Half information. Pak designed pitches to not help Lillee. Even Pak pace bowlers struggled (much like the recent test versus Pak v Aus which has Cummins, Starc, etc.) in the series that Lillee played in. 

could say the same of how sena pitches were designed to nullify ash and jaddy. 

why dont sena design rank turners for india? why give seaming pitches. actually why not give us super bouncy pitches like wanderers 2018?  why not? i will tell you why. cause they are scared of bumrah shami and siraj. they will knock their batsmens heads out like we saw vs aussies twice and in england. works both ways mate. suck **** latif. 

ash is a ATG period. he is not amongst the Goat tier level players but he is definitely an ATG.

2 minutes ago, Lord said:

Is Dennis Lillee an ATG?

See for some morons like Latif it has been ingrained in their minds greatness is only defined by performances in England and Australia. Lillee hardly played in other countries other than England and Australia but is still regarded as not just ATG but best fast bowler ever by many pundits from England and Australia.Not saying Lillee was not great but people have stop judging players only by certain standards.

SC pitches which aid spinners from day one have been termed useless pitches by non SC teams but a green track which aids fast bowlers is considered from ball one is termed as a sporting pitch.

could say the same about aussie bowlers. sure they are great on bouncy wickets. what happens to starc and hazlewood on lesser more docile bouncy wickets ?lmao hazlewood averages 39 in s.africa. 35 in new zealand.

starc 34 32 and 50 in s.afirca, england and india lel