Is it the time to look at a foreign coach/consultant?

zen

Guys like Kumble, Dravid, VVS, etc. don't cut in unless the goal is to progress by fine tuning the old (or maybe serve old wine in a new bottle). Most of Indian coaches are unlikely to come out with a game changing innovation - Manmohan Desai and Cricket ... At the moment, any breath of fresh air in India cricket comes from swashbuckling players, many of them are later tuitored with the importance of personal milestones

We have folks like Nehra who think differently but are usually initially seen as inadequate (unless they achieve success). To drive change (or even catch up with innovations and thought process of top teams), maybe its time to bring in someone from the outside such as a Nasser Hussain (who made good use out of England's resources of its time and can be "blunt") or a Eion Morgan ... Nehraji can be the assistant coach slotted over to take the reigns of head coach in future. 

Discuss! 

27 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Prima donna captains and star players wont listen to any FOREN Coaches... and Foreign coaches wont stand for this nonsense. Thats why we havent had one since the dark days of Duncan Fletcher

A positive is that many new players are to be drafted in to the team in the coming years (and they are used to working with phoren coaches in the IPL), so the superstar culture can be reduced/limited ... Though guys like Pant were already doing drama in this IPL like calling the team back and trying to boss the local coaches.

18 hours ago, zen said:

Guys like Kumble, Dravid, VVS, etc. don't cut in unless the goal is to progress by fine tuning the old (or maybe serve old wine in a new bottle). Most of Indian coaches are unlikely to come out with a game changing innovation - Manmohan Desai and Cricket ... At the moment, any breath of fresh air in India cricket comes from swashbuckling players, many of them are later tuitored with the importance of personal milestones

We have folks like Nehra who think differently but are usually initially seen as inadequate (unless they achieve success). To drive change (or even catch up with innovations and thought process of top teams), maybe its time to bring in someone from the outside such as a Nasser Hussain (who made good use out of England's resources of its time and can be "blunt") or a Eion Morgan ... Nehraji can be the assistant coach slotted over to take the reigns of head coach in future. 

Discuss! 

I haven't seen anything new or impressive from Dravid so far. If we lost trying something new, I wouldn't mind it but we continue to repeat the same old mistakes. That being said, no coach can do anything when a team is saddled with deadweights. Give full freedom like the type given to Chandrakant Pandit and the results will follow. 

1 hour ago, nevada said:

An underrated coach and the architect of DK's revival as a batsman. Amre is good too, he is in tune with the needs of the modern game and has specifically trained batsmen with six hitting in practice sessions. 

Hasn't DK played more games than Abhishek nayar in Lois. and is nearly the same age as him?

It isn't a bad idea, unless we experiment we won't know if something is good or bad.
A coach like Gillespie brought immense change in the ability of Ishant Sharma, he may or may not be successful with the rest but we need to try.
I think apart from Kohli, no other player in the team will have ego friction with a foreign coach. Rohit isn't as adamant as Kohli.

5 hours ago, nevada said:

I haven't seen anything new or impressive from Dravid so far. If we lost trying something new, I wouldn't mind it but we continue to repeat the same old mistakes. That being said, no coach can do anything when a team is saddled with deadweights. Give full freedom like the type given to Chandrakant Pandit and the results will follow. 

give him some time. Dravid has his own ways. right now its cleaning going on

4 hours ago, A1Singga said:

Hasn't DK played more games than Abhishek nayar in Lois. and is nearly the same age as him?

Abhishek is a few years older than DK. Despite lack of international experience, he seems to be a sharp cricketing mind. This article was published in the aftermath of DK's last ball six against the toygers and talks about the work done by the two of them.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/magazines/panache/meet-abhishek-nayar-the-friend-and-mentor-who-put-dinesh-karthik-back-on-track/articleshow/63533130.cms?from=mdr

Foreign is not white  :laugh1:

I would add Sanga who did good job in English cricket in admin roles and did a great job with RR as well. Look at the way the mix youth and experienced players.

Also Malinga has done a fantastic job with youngsters in MI and RR.

even closer to home Amre, TA Sekhar, A Nayar etc have done great work or even Nehra seems to have a good acumen.

What we need is capable admins with a proven track record and an out of the box approach instead of babus and stars given the role on name value.

2 hours ago, maniac said:

I would add Sanga who did good job in English cricket in admin roles and did a great job with RR as well. Look at the way the mix youth and experienced players.

Also Malinga has done a fantastic job with youngsters in MI and RR.

Sanga is good as a consultant as I am not sure if he would invest his time for a round the year multi year assignment. 

Malinga, Steyn, etc. can be good consultants for bowlers 

Talking about Indian coaches, is there a reason that no top team has gone for any Indian coaches so far? Even in IPL, Nehra became the first Indian coach to win an IPL

3 minutes ago, zen said:

Sanga is good as a consultant as I am not sure if he would invest his time for a round the year multi year assignment. 

Malinga, Steyn, etc. can be good consultants for bowlers 

Talking about Indian coaches, is there a reason that no top team has gone for any Indian coaches so far? Even in IPL, Nehra became the first Indian coach to win an IPL

i like to look at coaches at the ground level. There was a coach forgetting his name (that’s unfortunate) under whom Women’s cricket improved. Similarly Bharat Arun was one of the best coaches we had. Amre-Abhishek Nayar type retired cricketers have helped a lot of international players to find their feet back.

Nehra is good but he seems to be in the Shastri mould, good acumen and a very good man manager but not sure we can judge him on 1 IPL win. Remember he was with RCB as well 2 yrs back when they failed to qualify.