Partition Horrors Remembrance Day

HamHindustani

19 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Jairam the Congress stooge trying rewrite history. SP Mookerjee saved what’s left of WB otherwise it would be part of BD today. Great rebuttal of the whole thread

Partition was particularly brutal on Bengal.  Kolkata got flooded with highest number of poor & unskilled population from East Bengal which it still hasn't recovered from.  Out of all cities Kolkata has has highest rich-poor gap. 

Perhaps someone should have negotiated for Chittagong tract to have better connectivity with North East. I read somewhere it had majority Hindu populace.  Divison of Bengal was done very weirdly. 

Edited by Lone Wolf

On 8/14/2022 at 5:52 AM, HamHindustani said:

14 Aug is partition Horrors Remembrance day. So many lost lives. Division of motherland because a religious group wanted to stay away from others. May such things never happen again 

In the long run it was for the best, but so badly organised. It was originally meant to take a year to carry out but was rushed into 2 months. It would also have been better if more of a population exchange took place to be honest, better for communal harmony. Jammu &  Kashmir should also have been partitioned along religious lines, this would allow both countries to focus on development instead of war. 

Most of the violence actually took place in the months after partition when the final boundaries were announced and the people caught on the wrong side were forced out or brutally murdered. 

I will say though that the muslims started the violence with Direct Action day in Kolkata and then carried out the Noakhali and Rawalpindi massacres. Sikhs and Hindus just retaliated. 

23 minutes ago, Ranvir said:

In the long run it was for the best, but so badly organised. It was originally meant to take a year to carry out but was rushed into 2 months. It would also have been better if more of a population exchange took place to be honest, better for communal harmony. Jammu &  Kashmir should also have been partitioned along religious lines, this would allow both countries to focus on development instead of war. 

Most of the violence actually took place in the months after partition when the final boundaries were announced and the people caught on the wrong side were forced out or brutally murdered. 

I will say though that the muslims started the violence with Direct Action day in Kolkata and then carried out the Noakhali and Rawalpindi massacres. Sikhs and Hindus just retaliated. 

Had J&K been under British India...  It probably would have gone to Pakistan except for Jammu who would have been added to Punjab...  And Ladakh to HP.  

It would have given massive advantage Pak WRT to Water sources & defense wise. 

Vice versa had Indians had got whole of J&K including PoK I would have created existential threat for Pak wrt to water & Islamabad surrounded & Indians overlooking them from heights. 

Accidentally both sides ended up creating Buffer zones for each other with India with an advantage of having water sources in its grasp...  No enemy country wants that.  Primary reason Pak badly wanted Kashmir. 

28 minutes ago, Ranvir said:

Why would you call it the best. Should countries be separated based on religion. The principle is flawed and divisive 

15 minutes ago, HamHindustani said:

Why would you call it the best. Should countries be separated based on religion. The principle is flawed and divisive 

But what makes a country? In Europe for example, nearly all countries have just one language and culture and that is what unites them. A person from Jammu and Tamil Nadu have about as much in common as a Norwegian and Greek, probably even less so. But you are happy for Jammu and Tamil Nadu to be part of the same country yes? Europe had their partition with Greece and Turkey and also the Balkans. The French and Dutch speaking people of Belgium hate each other. 

Jinnah was correct in seeing that there will be issues between Hindus and Muslims and we have seen it in the last 75 years. For peace partition was better. Oh but what about all the sentimental stories about how Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs got on before independence, it's a totally different matter living under a dictator king or British Empire compared to a democracy in which numbers matter. I wouldn't want me or my family to live in Muslim majority Punjab,  being forced to speak and write Urdu. 

In reality you are only the same people if you are OK with your sons and daughters marrying each other. A Pakistani/Indian Muslim would rather have their child marry a Muslim Chechen than a Hindu and likewise a Hindu would rather have their child marry a Hindu from Bali than a local Muslim. 

2 hours ago, MultiB48 said:

Yeah but people move to the west to live as minorities, someone like you have embraced English as your mother tongue willingly.People have lowered their guard about the west ,it's a fatal embrace,a 100 years from now it's going to be mixed up beyond recognition.

I think India is the best when it comes to sustaining minorities,it may not be the best in terms of material wealth or human rights but in a way that helps since it neither fully embraces minorities like the modern west nor fully eliminates them like more authoritarian states , it's like a sweet spot which allows minorities to thrive .

Being a minority in the west is nowhere near as bad as being a minority in a place like Pakistan. It has sharia law which from the get go gives non muslims less rights than Muslims. 

What irks me is that Muslims wanted Pakistan and Bangladesh,  they got them. But still left 1/3rd of their population in India. It's called having your cake and eating it. The number of non muslims in Pakistan is miniscule and the number of Hindus in Bangladesh is a lot smaller than it was 50 years ago. 

Pakistan are a lot more brutal ,the west on the other hand will their inclusive approach will soften your heart and lower your guard .Now it's a matter of time,modernism, secularism and liberalism will slowly dilute your identity.Your descendents will at best  be very nominally Sikh if sikhs at all, maybe they already are like that.

Both have different perspectives and they go about creating it differently but in the long run the end result will be the same.

The funny thing is Muslims got along well with the British under their rule ,they served in large numbers in the British army ,and their leaders like Jinnah were quite anglicized ,I guess they knew who the boss was back then and kept their heads down but didn't want the risk to be ruled by Hindus after independence.

But hindus are also to be blamed,in a way I agree with the article but for different reasons .If they wanted they could have created Hindu India back then after partition but that's too much for our boys.

Hindus had incompetent leadership with Gandhi, Nehru and commie SCB. They had no idea about Islam, Sir Syed, Jinnah or Allama Iqbal. Never did poorvapaksh of Islam like Gokhale, Lala Lajpat or Tilak. We should have followed Aurobindo, Vivekanand and not Gandhi. All Hindu leaders were sidelined.. population exchange was the only final solution in case of a partition. Muslims cannot live with Hindus as one nation.

Pakistan are a lot more brutal ,the west on the other hand will their inclusive approach will soften your heart and lower your guard .Now it's a matter of time,modernism, secularism and liberalism will slowly dilute your identity.Your descendents will at best  be very nominally Sikh if sikhs at all, maybe they already are like that.

Both have different perspectives and they go about creating it differently but in the long run the end result will be the same.

The funny thing is Muslims got along well with the British under their rule ,they served in large numbers in the British army ,and their leaders like Jinnah were quite anglicized ,I guess they knew who the boss was back then and kept their heads down but didn't want the risk to be ruled by Hindus after independence.

But hindus are also to be blamed,in a way I agree with the article but for different reasons .If they wanted they could have created Hindu India back then after partition but that's too much for our boys.

British India was more or less a superpower in Asia.  One has to give credit they knew how to get things done in this country. 

Imperial Japan was absolutely pulverized in SEA by British Indian army.  Talk about acing Jungle warfare.   Even Roosevelt had to convince that racist pig Churchill that India has got to be free for its contribution to the Allies. 

5 hours ago, Clarke said:

I reckon the idea of this "remembrance day" is just to troll padosis on the west. What's done is done, we just got to look for the best way forward. Personally, don't see the point in what ifs other than some alt-history fiction.

More than Padosis, it is to keep the enemy within, in check. We had Intellectuals, Bollywood artists, libtards who went about wishing Padosis Happy Independence Day  on 14th and forget the partition horrors. It will negate historical facts and one day a generation will forget the whole partition ever happened and how the Brits caused millions to die. reconciliation is not by forgetting the truth, but embracing it

Edited by coffee_rules

On 8/15/2022 at 2:52 PM, Lone Wolf said:

Partition was particularly brutal on Bengal.  Kolkata got flooded with highest number of poor & unskilled population from East Bengal which it still hasn't recovered from.  Out of all cities Kolkata has has highest rich-poor gap. 

Perhaps someone should have negotiated for Chittagong tract to have better connectivity with North East. I read somewhere it had majority Hindu populace.  Divison of Bengal was done very weirdly. 

What was strange that Bengali Hindus did not attack and drive muslims out of West Bengal just Sikhs and Hindus did in East Punjab.

8 hours ago, Singh bling said:

What was strange that Bengali Hindus did not attack and drive muslims out of West Bengal just Sikhs and Hindus did in East Punjab.

Yeah but most amount of bloodshed did happen in Punjab & Bengal.  Only difference is retaliation was far more severe in Punjab.  So that's why focus mostly was on Punjab. 

Edited by Lone Wolf

10 hours ago, Singh bling said:

I don't think the muslims drove the Hindus out of Bangladesh either. Hindus were still above 20% of Bangladesh's population until the 1970s.