Avatar 2: The most overhyped movie of Hollywood?

kepler37b

4 minutes ago, kepler37b said:

The trailer looks ok. 

Avatar 1 was a one-time watch and forget for me.

Anyone looking forward to this?

Not really.  Didn't really like Avatar 1.  Watched it because the kids wanted to go; it was borrrrrringgg.  Av2 can't be any better.  And I am done marveling at how realistic animations are ... it's so commonplace now.  Moreover, I am tired of the environmental nagging ... "live in nature, live with nature, nature knows best" ... whatever ... I wouldn't last 5 min before "mother" nature consumes me.

14 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Not really.  Didn't really like Avatar 1.  Watched it because the kids wanted to go; it was borrrrrringgg.  Av2 can't be any better.  And I am done marveling at how realistic animations are ... it's so commonplace now.  Moreover, I am tired of the environmental nagging ... "live in nature, live with nature, nature knows best" ... whatever ... I wouldn't last 5 min before "mother" nature consumes me.

If it is the same Evil Humans vs Pacifist Aliens trope I will absolutely detest it.

If it is some thing like Civil war among aliens, i will give it a try.

For how much money the first film made it left very little cultural impact apart from popularising 3D for a few years. It was just a rehash of Dances With Wolves (which was also ripped off by The Last Samurai). 

At nearly 40 years old I have no desire to see these silly looking blue creatures. 

James Cameron also appears to be going senile recently saying that testosterone is a toxin that needs to be removed from men. This is the same man who made the violent Terminator and Aliens movies. 

3 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Man you were cranky when you watched it huh.

I mean, its a basic story - underdog types, designed to tap into the white guilt over the genocide unleashed in the western hemisphere.  In reality everyone knows what happened to the 'brave natives at one with nature'.  They got shot down thanks to superior weapons tech and that was that.   

The one thing I enjoyed about it - the idea of 'bonding' with an animal via nerve endings - that was kinda cool - coupled with the good graphics execution.  And that chick is hot AF, that helps too.  

I mean, at the end of the day, its a movie, thoda popcorn khao, timepass karo, ghar jaao.

4 hours ago, Ranvir said:

For how much money the first film made it left very little cultural impact apart from popularising 3D for a few years. It was just a rehash of Dances With Wolves (which was also ripped off by The Last Samurai). 

At nearly 40 years old I have no desire to see these silly looking blue creatures. 

James Cameron also appears to be going senile recently saying that testosterone is a toxin that needs to be removed from men. This is the same man who made the violent Terminator and Aliens movies. 

Every movie should be rated on Story: Spectacle Ratio. Avatar's ratio is too low. The story was bordering between being trope and routine.

Haven’t watched it yet but from what I hearing, the positives include its visuals, which many say are among the best they have seen in a film ... I guess, if watched in IMAX or on an extra large screen, it could create a bigger impact.

As for negatives, some folks have found it long. Some talked about plot holes or a lack of a story or Avatar being rehashed. 

This is a $300M family drama. Overall, I would expect the experience to be positive esp. since most would like the last hour of the film!

Edited by zen

On 12/14/2022 at 10:00 PM, Vijy said:

not looking forward to it. cameron IMO was genuinely a force to be reckoned with in 80s, but I find most of his 21st cen output to be bland and generic

He's only made Avatar this century. 

His 90s work was great, Terminator 2 and Titanic are all time classics. 

True Lies was a bit bland despite the big budget. 

He's capable of so much more but has become ultra woke lately. 

1 hour ago, Ranvir said:

He's only made Avatar this century. 

His 90s work was great, Terminator 2 and Titanic are all time classics. 

True Lies was a bit bland despite the big budget. 

He's capable of so much more but has become ultra woke lately. 

I should have written 80s and 90s, yes.

The 2 avatar movies I don't care for much