Is Arshdeep overrated?

Texan

2 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

He has skills. But how to use them effectively, is something he has to learn. Right now he has serious execution problems.

I beg to differ, but I don't think he has the skills. If it was Umran Mallik, I would say that he does have the "skills" but needs execution. With Arshdeep, the only ball in his repertoire is the ball that floats and full. He doesn't really hit the deck or bowl a good short ball or a stinging yorker (like say Natarajan did when he was in form). Also, the penchant for no balls is a nuisance. Yes, every bowler occasionally bowls no balls, but with Arshdeep, it is a habit. It is hard to understand why because he isn't even trying to bowl express pace.

16 minutes ago, Texan said:

I beg to differ, but I don't think he has the skills. If it was Umran Mallik, I would say that he does have the "skills" but needs execution. With Arshdeep, the only ball in his repertoire is the ball that floats and full. He doesn't really hit the deck or bowl a good short ball or a stinging yorker (like say Natarajan did when he was in form). Also, the penchant for no balls is a nuisance. Yes, every bowler occasionally bowls no balls, but with Arshdeep, it is a habit. It is hard to understand why because he isn't even trying to bowl express pace.

He has a decent bouncer. He can swing both ways. Even today after the pummelling in the first balls landed better. Due to his natural height he gets bounce.  But due to his lack of batting skills he has to be far more reliable.  IPL will give an idea.  

Good:

Potency in conditions where the new ball swings.

When a track has some pace and bounce to support his surprise bouncer.

Not so good/Needs work:

Tendency to overstep regularly

Reverse swing

Fielding

I wouldn't say overrated though, if anything Arshdeep has been consistently inconsistent.

Chuckte Raho

TC

For the last 45 years, the Indian cricket fraternity have had a strong preference for floaty pacers who look good when the new ball swings for a few overs and look very innocuous when the swing dies down.( that is most of the time )

Arshdeep is the latest addition to this brigade.

None of these pacers had become top international pacers. 

We need to promote multi-dimensional pacers like Bumrah, Shami and Siraj ... and not floaty one dimensional pacers.

He was never rated as some sort of exceptional talent. A utility bowler in T20s who can swing the first 2 overs and bowl last 2 overs relatively cheaply.

At this age even that is a good skillset for t20s.

He needs to improve consistency and needs to get over this no ball problem. I don't think even an odd no ball is a problem but you need to be able to put it behind yourself and bowl rest of the overs better.

Calls by Bakwaskar to have him in tests are lolworthy. :cantstop:

Edited by Number
28 minutes ago, express bowling said:

For the last 45 years, the Indian cricket fraternity have had a strong preference for floaty pacers who look good when the new ball swings for a few overs and look very innocuous when the swing dies down.( that is most of the time )

We need to promote multi-dimensional pacers like Bumrah, Shami and Siraj ... and not floaty one dimensional pacers.

I can see him slowing down his pace as well to address his no ball and wide issues as well.

48 minutes ago, speedracer said:

No way arsh trundler is better than umran

Umran is raw pace at the moment, nothing else.

An economy of 11.5 after 7 games.

I am a fan of pace and he needs to be backed just like Pakistan has done with Haris Rauf.
Rauf started similar to Umran and was super expensive but Pakistan didn't give up. 

3 hours ago, express bowling said:

How many matches does it take Siraj to be multi dimensional ? . On the opposite side , india need to find captain like Gangually who produce brigade of good players by backing players for set number of matches before judging them . 

57 minutes ago, deepdynamo said:

Umran is raw pace at the moment, nothing else.

An economy of 11.5 after 7 games.

I am a fan of pace and he needs to be backed just like Pakistan has done with Haris Rauf.
Rauf started similar to Umran and was super expensive but Pakistan didn't give up. 

Never ever give up on him. Never. 

He is an unreal talent. A gem. 

Arshdeep ceiling is no where near umran.

18 minutes ago, spiritb2 said:

Indian T20 team needs Natarajan. His pace is higher than arshdeep more consistent, control & experienced bowler at death overs. 

Oooh good one. Nattu was on fire in Australia. I think we had a very good chance to reach finals had nattu played for us in t20 2021 wc. He was our best bowler in that last series down under. 

4 hours ago, Arvind32 said:

How many matches does it take Siraj to be multi dimensional ? . On the opposite side , india need to find captain like Gangually who produce brigade of good players by backing players for set number of matches before judging them . 

Siraj, even before he debuted for India, was a multi-dimensionsl bowler.

He could hit the deck hard in the good length area and get bounce and seam movement when the ball stopped swinging after a few overs.

He could bowl stump directed skiddy quick deliveries too at will.  

1 minute ago, vvvslaxman said:

He had a critical injury. Not the same since. Landing issues.  Honest trier. He is also over 30.  Moshin and Arshdeep are the two left arm options we have. Dhayal, khaleel are other 2 options.

yes. hitting yorker consistently is very tough anyways.

Khaleel is a good option but seems poor in death. Mohsin is best but seems injured all the time. He can also bat