Players that have impressed or excited you in IPL 2023

MK55

What players are you guys excited about? Doesn’t matter if it’s their debut season or they have been playing the IPL for years but somehow something has clicked this year. 

Personally, it’s the batters that I’m exited about. Not a single bowler has been a breakout star.

Ruturaj, Jaiswal are some talented guys that have played good knocks. Gaikwad has been one of the best timers of the ball at the top. Jaiswal is a good prospect too. Playing alongside Butler is terrific for him.

Tilak has already played some decent knocks especially the one where he single handed got MI to a decent total when wickets were falling at the other end. Rinku has shown good composure at the end. Sharukh has got all the qualities to be a power hitter.

In contrast bowling has been thoroughly disappointing. Not just that, I feel like our standards are lowering. Not a single new express bowler has emerged. It was Umran a couple of seasons back. I thought we’d unearth at least one such new bowler. W need a couple of such guys minimum in the squad. Only bowler that I’ve been hearing a lot is Tyagi. So I’m looking forward to see his progress at some stage. Nor has there been any 6’4 or above guy who bowls upwards of 90 mph.
Even guys that are in national side haven’t set the stage so far. One exception is Siraj. Things finally appear to be changing for him in the IPL. His rhythm and bowling smartness have been impressive.

10 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

The trio of: Ruturaj, Gill, and Jaiswal

As of now, I think Team India needs to pick all three for the national side, with 2 of the three opening for India and the other the backup opener

Gill is almost a mainstay. He opens with Gaikwad.

Jaiswal, Shaw and Tilak to fight it out for the one down position.

6 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

I think Pandya will continue to give Tripathi a continued run at 3 before making any changes there. He hasn't been bad there so far.

19 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Kohli isn't going to move out till 2026-2027...so the others have to place themselves around him.
Jaiswal is a proper opener so if not in T20's then he should atleast debut in Tests. 

49 minutes ago, MK55 said:

What players are you guys excited about? Doesn’t matter if it’s their debut season or they have been playing the IPL for years but somehow something has clicked this year. 

Personally, it’s the batters that I’m exited about. Not a single bowler has been a breakout star.

Ruturaj, Jaiswal are some talented guys that have played good knocks. Gaikwad has been one of the best timers of the ball at the top. Jaiswal is a good prospect too. Playing alongside Butler is terrific for him.

Tilak has already played some decent knocks especially the one where he single handed got MI to a decent total when wickets were falling at the other end. Rinku has shown good composure at the end. Sharukh has got all the qualities to be a power hitter.

In contrast bowling has been thoroughly disappointing. Not just that, I feel like our standards are lowering. Not a single new express bowler has emerged. It was Umran a couple of seasons back. I thought we’d unearth at least one such new bowler. W need a couple of such guys minimum in the squad. Only bowler that I’ve been hearing a lot is Tyagi. So I’m looking forward to see his progress at some stage. Nor has there been any 6’4 or above guy who bowls upwards of 90 mph.
Even guys that are in national side haven’t set the stage so far. One exception is Siraj. Things finally appear to be changing for him in the IPL. His rhythm and bowling smartness have been impressive.

Gurnoor Singh Brar from pbks is 6'3-4 fast bowler who may bowl 140. Looking forward to make him debut.

Harshit Rana from KKR another 6 feet plus guy who bowls 140-145, yet to play this season. 

Yashasvi Jaiswal, big fan of him and he hasn't disappointed yet.
Siraj, has found the self confidence which was lacking all through the years....hope he maintains his steam in internationals and don't loose it.
Ravi Bishnoi, can't say more...no matter how much you try to bring him down, he just marks his presence whenever and wherever he gets.

5 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Gurnoor Singh Brar from pbks is 6'3-4 fast bowler who may bowl 140. Looking forward to make him debut.

Harshit Rana from KKR another 6 feet plus guy who bowls 140-145, yet to play this season. 

Mayank Yadav is another one, just 20 year old but he has that zip in his bowling...

42 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

6 feet 4 bowling 90 mph plus is rare even in world cricket. 6'4 itself is a rare commodity in India then 90 mph bowler another rare commodity and combination of rarest of rare.

Agree on that. Tyagi n Mohsin are close based of google. They can sustain 90 mph too I guess. 

Not gonna extrapolate to other formats but just sticking to T20s.

Fast bowlers 

Not gonna go down that road. Some are overhyped, some are not durable, some have poor actions and some are just brainless. Or it's a combination of the above. I'll start believing in our pacers when I see something for a 3 year period. 

Allrounders 

Axar can almost play as a batting allrounder at this point. His lower order hitting has improved loads

Spinners

Bishnoi's accuracy has been Supreme. Nailing lines and lengths and bowling at good speeds. Quintessential T20 wrist spinner. He wasn't as good last year. 

Batsmen

Iyer and Gaikwad as openers. Sanju in the middle order. SRK in the lower order as well. 

25 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Kartik not getting a game this IPL is a travesty. Even likes of Mohit Sharma are getting games.

He need to move out of SRH...MI needed a good Indian Pacer in absence of Bumrah but they wasted money on trundlers like Arshad Khan and Duan Jansen.
LSG seems to be trying all pacers from their bench, so Tyagi could have given them a replacement for Awaste Khan (given Mohsin isn't gonna play).

Good knock by Samson. He really hasn’t got any technical weaknesses in his game. He just needs to be consistent. He’s that guy who score 60-70 at a good strike rate and then go out for single digit scores in the next 3. 

Ruturaj Gaikwad

Yashasvi Jaiswal

Tilak Verma

Rinku Singh

And perhaps V. Iyer?  I know he was picked for T20Is, and it seems he's been unimpressive, but going back and looking at his stats (33+ avg, 162 SR), he probably deserves another look. Just hasn't had that signature knock in T20Is, but has only played 7 innings. 

When IPL was a kid, it used to excite me about new players (esp. many one-season wonders). Both IPL & I have grown up relatively speaking, in the 16th year now, therefore, a need to look at IPL from a mature perspective. 

IPL is:

• NOT about Team India (though various aspects related to Team India can be its byproducts). IPL is about IPL first. 
  • beyond a one-two-season wonder (experience has taught us that doing well in Indian conditions in a familiar environment does not equate to instant success against strong international teams esp. if playing outside Asia). In IPL, the roles of players can be totally different than if they were playing for a national team or even a different franchise. 
  • more about tracking the form of various players playing or expected to play for India in T20s and to a certain extent ODIs (as if a player does well in T20Is, he can get a slot in ODIs too). 
  • about identifying exceptional talent, which does not come often (a once-in-a-10-year kind of talent). An Umran Makik is a special talent. A Gill is a special talent. These players have to do well over a number of seasons. One inning or one season does not make a player good or bad. 

Based on the above, I like to follow the form of players (from a team India perspective) such as:

• Key regular players: Sir Don Pandya, SKY, Gill, & Bumrah (when fit)
  • Players who are in a position to become more regular: Samson (WK & #3), Umran, etc. 
  • Players who have done well in multiple seasons in IPL and are good enough to play for India: Tewatia, Rituraj, Hooda (esp. if he can bowl a few overs), Tripathi, etc.  
  • Pace bowlers and quality spinners, who have played for India or can make a comeback or can be considered, like Siraj, Bishnoi, Kuldeep, Axar (currently, in a purple patch), Moshin, etc. 

Next year, there will be another IPL and we could have a new set of players doing well in that season. And so on. 

haven't seen anyone that's stood out, but I like the little I saw of the young leggie suyash sarma so far. 19 is very young for a leggie, and he is already looking a decent t20 bet. needs to learn how to rip the leggie more to push for ODIs.

batting - some of the young crowd are doing well, but are inconsistent. jaiswal has short ball problem, in tests, Gill should open on bouncy pitches, while jaiswal opens in SC and swinging pitches.

pace - less said the better. bunch of tripe trundlers like harshal, mohit, etc