BJP completes 9 years in centre - how have they performed?

Austin 3:!6

How was BJPs performance in last 9 years?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How was BJPs performance in last 9 years?

Edited by Austin 3:!6

53 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Better than UPA 2.0 but the bar is way too low.  

15 minutes ago, bharathh said:

Better than any other central govt so far IMO. 

What are the good things they have done compared to UPA 2.0?

How this govt fare as compared to UPA 2.1?

What are they things BJP govt need to improve?

Modis handling of Pak & his personal rapport with several world leaders works well for our economy... His workaholic ethics has rubbed off on several babus improving bureaucratic efficiency and importantly absence of any big scams. Personally I feel there is a increased optimism with respect to Indias future. 

Main grouse is his handling of various protests and media blowing it up beyond Delhi and China's land grabbing.  

2 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

What are the good things they have done compared to UPA 2.0?

How this govt fare as compared to UPA 2.1?

What are they things BJP govt need to improve?

Lots. I am sure there must be a comprehensive list somewhere.. but things that stood out to me:

- Complete electrification of India (It is sad that we couldn't do this in almost 70 years, but one govt was able to complete this in a few years)

- Infrastructure push and modernization of roadways and railways. Our highways have improved in leaps and bounds over the past 10 years. 

- Swacch Bharat increasing sanitation facilities by leaps and bounds. Unfortunately, we are still have a long way to go. Still, the efforts to cleanse the Ganga and overall access to toilets across has seen a big boost across India. At least there is some collective thought towards hygiene and sanitation. Hopefully, regardless of the government our peoples learn to prioritize these.

- Make in India - another mixed bag - but the attempt to make manufacturing key in India is one of the most important initiatives IMO

- Digital Public Goods initiatives - my company does a lot of work in this area for the govt. The farsightedness of the govt across the board to transform India into a digital future will reap huge rewards in the future. Initiatives such as UPI, ONDC, Digiyatra, Cowin, Arogya Setu, Jugalbandi (again something my company spearheaded), UIDAI, etc. have extremely long-term facing initiatives. We have left most of the world in the dust in these areas. 

- Strong emphasis on diplomatic outreach and not a sissy govt under the UPA

- Strengthening of the defence forces and increase in budgets and autonomy of the armed forces to operate and take decisive action

- Removal of 370 and 25A in Kashmir

- Push to reinstate our spiritual centres such as Kashi, Ayodhya to their former glory. The amount of employment and tourism that has been generated cannot be overstated

- Financial inclusion of millions into the banking system and dismantling of the shadow economy

- 0 financial scandals despite the opposition standing on the top of its head trying to make mountains out of molehills

- Push towards a muscular foreign policy that is not aligned either to the US /China

These stick out to me off the top of my head. 

5 hours ago, bharathh said:

Lots. I am sure there must be a comprehensive list somewhere.. but things that stood out to me:

- Complete electrification of India (It is sad that we couldn't do this in almost 70 years, but one govt was able to complete this in a few years)

- Infrastructure push and modernization of roadways and railways. Our highways have improved in leaps and bounds over the past 10 years. 

- Swacch Bharat increasing sanitation facilities by leaps and bounds. Unfortunately, we are still have a long way to go. Still, the efforts to cleanse the Ganga and overall access to toilets across has seen a big boost across India. At least there is some collective thought towards hygiene and sanitation. Hopefully, regardless of the government our peoples learn to prioritize these.

- Make in India - another mixed bag - but the attempt to make manufacturing key in India is one of the most important initiatives IMO

- Digital Public Goods initiatives - my company does a lot of work in this area for the govt. The farsightedness of the govt across the board to transform India into a digital future will reap huge rewards in the future. Initiatives such as UPI, ONDC, Digiyatra, Cowin, Arogya Setu, Jugalbandi (again something my company spearheaded), UIDAI, etc. have extremely long-term facing initiatives. We have left most of the world in the dust in these areas. 

- Strong emphasis on diplomatic outreach and not a sissy govt under the UPA

- Strengthening of the defence forces and increase in budgets and autonomy of the armed forces to operate and take decisive action

- Removal of 370 and 25A in Kashmir

- Push to reinstate our spiritual centres such as Kashi, Ayodhya to their former glory. The amount of employment and tourism that has been generated cannot be overstated

- Financial inclusion of millions into the banking system and dismantling of the shadow economy

- 0 financial scandals despite the opposition standing on the top of its head trying to make mountains out of molehills

- Push towards a muscular foreign policy that is not aligned either to the US /China

These stick out to me off the top of my head. 

In case it’s true, they have the worst PR team, I saw none of these achievements being communicated ahead of the polls in Kar. All local leaders were sitting on their laurels and waiting for Modi to campaign. I hope they do a better job in campaigning ahead of 2024 at least 

3 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

In case it’s true, they have the worst PR team, I saw none of these achievements being communicated ahead of the polls in Kar. All local leaders were sitting on their laurels and waiting for Modi to campaign. I hope they do a better job in campaigning ahead of 2024 at least 

The facts are out there. I haven't made anything up. Karnataka is blessed with terrible politicians. No respite for the general population from any side. Not surprising given the caste politics here. 

Two things:

1. Making cashless payments the norm, eventually it will. Even in the US we still rely on debit/credit cards and cash.

2. Strengthening defence. All those mujahideens cannot simply get away with doing random terror attacks. China too has been warned that this government is not a pushover.

Otherwise nothing has changed.

I am going to be honest as I owe it my friends on ICF.

Start out with a disclaimer. I am the biggest fan of Modi on this board. He is a true leader with vision and genuinely a good person. His team around him, not so much. He is one of the leaders I would enjoy having, lunch, dinner etc. with. Now I will start grading.

Foreign Policy: A+ His dealing with China was excellent. Not starting a war was a smart decision. After IG he is the only leader who knows how to deal with Pakistan.

Economy: B-  Demonetization and subsequent 2K is crap he should have never started. It stunted the growth. COVID was not his fault but the fact Vietnam is out performing India is on him. There is a lot of room for improvement.

His goals of Atamnirbhar bharat and 5T economy is very laudable. At least he has a vision which is commendable.

Over all growth etc. A- There is lot of improvement in infrastructure.

Domestic Policy: B+  Farm Laws was a step in the right direction but something that big he needs everyone to be on board. There was arrogance on BJP's part and that was the problem. This also shows his leadership qualities when he walked back from these laws. Shows he is pragmatic and practical.

Treatment of Minorities: B-  marginalizing a large religious group like Muslims is not a good policy. They have lived in India for centuries and it is their home.

Article 370 removal: A+   Absolutely the best move by him. Shows to the world he is a good and strong leader. 

Leadership: A   He has a vision, a plan and a roadmap. That is extremely laudable. He truly believes India is a superpower and is working towards it. At times some of the decisions are very flaky. He does have some dictatorial tendencies. Arrest and expelling of Gandhi is not good in the long run. He could/should have intervened.

Note to the Opposition: Being anti Modi will only go so far. Need to come with agenda if they have to beat BJP.

Once again I admire him as a person but do not agree with everything.

Mixed bag.

National security and foreign relations have improved 

Economy has been poor. Unemployment is high and the schemes like demonetisation was poorly implemented. In general there were lot of schemes launched but didn't get implemented well. Though atleast intent is great. Tackling Corruption  remains a big challenge.

My big grouse is media has become sycophant and stopped asking questions from establishment as they should. The ones doing it are castigated.

They will and should win comfortably in 2024. Though they have been helped big time by lack of strong opposition.ca

Disclaimer : I am not a political expert. Just talking as a laymen. I am out now :vroam:

Edited by Lord

Little off topic but goddamn US really did a number on Congress all those years ago.  Uncle Sam eventually gets what it wants.  They successfully created a Anti Congress wave outta nowhere as soon as UPA 2.0 came.

I feel they will try similar stunts in 2024 & 2029 against the ruling party.  Soros & deep state are at it again. 

2 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Little off topic but goddamn US really did a number on Congress all those years ago.  Uncle Sam eventually gets what it wants.  They successfully created a Anti Congress wave outta nowhere as soon as UPA 2.0 came.

I feel they will try similar stunts in 2024 & 2029 against the ruling party.  Soros & deep state are at it again. 

so is this kejriwal. Heard lot of rumors about ford foundation and kejriwal .

During farmers protest the toolkit Greta link and foreign influence can’t be denied. This is really bad if a country can influence other countries own governance.

Congress tried to infiltrate the IAC movement hoping its pawn would sabotage it from within which it did also but later it realised that its own pawn turned out to be a double agent for CIA front itself.

Edited by gattaca