Prithvi Shaw hits 244 off 153 balls for Northamptonshire in One-Day Cup

India batter Shaw, who once scored 546 in a single innings as a 14-year-old and made a debut Test century when he was only 18, was signed by Northants to bring - as head coach John Sadler put it - a "bit of superstardom" to the club.

Having made 34 and 26 in his first two innings for the club, the 23-year-old brought up his 50 off 44 balls against Somerset with a square cut for four off Danny Lamb.

The right-hander, who shared a stand of 108 for the second wicket with Ricardo Vasconcelos (47), went to his century from 81 balls.

When he reached 162 he passed the previous 50-over best for Northamptonshire by former captain David Sales in 2006 and cruised past the county's limited-overs record score of 172 not out by Wayne Larkins, made in a 40-over match in 1983.

Whiteman played on to Lamb with the score on 369 and Shaw eventually departed three balls from the end of the innings, caught at deep mid-wicket off the same bowler, as five more wickets went down for eight runs.

It was Shaw's second double century in 50-over cricket having made 227 not out for Mumbai in February 2021.

Derbyshire are at home to Sussex and Lancashire are playing holders Kent at Blackpool in Wednesday's other games.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/66449280

1 minute ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

India batter Shaw, who once scored 546 in a single innings as a 14-year-old and made a debut Test century when he was only 18, was signed by Northants to bring - as head coach John Sadler put it - a "bit of superstardom" to the club.

Having made 34 and 26 in his first two innings for the club, the 23-year-old brought up his 50 off 44 balls against Somerset with a square cut for four off Danny Lamb.

The right-hander, who shared a stand of 108 for the second wicket with Ricardo Vasconcelos (47), went to his century from 81 balls.

When he reached 162 he passed the previous 50-over best for Northamptonshire by former captain David Sales in 2006 and cruised past the county's limited-overs record score of 172 not out by Wayne Larkins, made in a 40-over match in 1983.

Whiteman played on to Lamb with the score on 369 and Shaw eventually departed three balls from the end of the innings, caught at deep mid-wicket off the same bowler, as five more wickets went down for eight runs.

It was Shaw's second double century in 50-over cricket having made 227 not out for Mumbai in February 2021.

Derbyshire are at home to Sussex and Lancashire are playing holders Kent at Blackpool in Wednesday's other games.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/66449280

Pshaw is good at hitting poor attacks, but comes up short vs better attacks

I’m willing to guess that the opposition attack is bog average. 

I looked at the scorecard here  and it seems to me that the bowlers are mostly youngsters/ newcomers with between 2-20 FC games each, there’s one guy who’s 39 years old, and one 24 year old  international who played 4 Tests for Ireland. 

So I’m not overly over the moon, so to speak. 

Just now, NameGoesHere said:

I looked at the scorecard here  and it seems to me that the bowlers are mostly youngsters/ newcomers with between 2-20 FC games each, there’s one guy who’s 39 years old, and one 24 year old  international who played 4 Tests for Ireland. 

No one is over the moon and should not be as its against poor attack. But still 244 runs in a 50 over game is commendable.

4 minutes ago, NameGoesHere said:

yes most good bowlers are playing the Hundred

Pujara also frauded to a ton and now will be back in Tests