What's the point of Thakur?

Gollum

22 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Not everyone performs in every match, I would have played Shami today .Thakur cannot be playing every match.

They'll play one of Thakur or Ashwin in every game depending on the opposition. 

Shami might play in Dharamsala or Mumbai but other than that, he is a back up for Bumrah and Siraj

4 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

Shami might play in Dharamsala or Mumbai but other than that, he is a back up for Bumrah and Siraj

I don't think many teams play 4 seamers in their side. May be dibbly dobbly bowler as 4th seamer. But they generally bat

8 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

If Ashwin plays on these wickets, he will justify his spot.On this ground which is on flat side and slow, you needed Shami.

The way Indian bowlers bowled today, Pakistan let them off the hook.280-300 was very much on cards.

Shami on this ground would have done better than Siraj.

1 minute ago, vvvslaxman said:

If Iyer can bowl 6th over we can have an extra batsman and our line up will be far more dangerous. They can even Slot Kishan or SKY in.

he can bowl 2-3 overs, I think. and someone like kohli/gill can bowl 1-2 overs if needed.

SKY used to bowl in domestics, but stopped completely

9 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Pandya cannot bowl 10 overs on these wickets period.You need  6 bowlers. India is not England, template for India cannot be to outscore opponents.

Restricting other teams from scoring big totals is the way to go for India . 

As much as Thakur in the XI irritates me, you aren't wrong.

Thakur and ashwin both have a v v imp role to play 

as 6th bowler , they give u a different option 

as batsmen , they help batters 4 onwards to know that there is batting till no 8 . 

Thakur and ashwin have both worked hard on their bowling and can stem a collapse . Thakur is a decent bat and ashwin is underrated.  

Think team management has so far managed to get the right combo.  

3 hours ago, Mariyam said:

I think the point of Thakur is that lazy journalists can come with some insipid Sholay themed headlines /puns when he plays. 

It’s a case of BCCI trying to woo the journalist fraternity. 

Kids here didn’t get your Sholay pun. Suffice to say, he’s in the team to make our tail batting lunit NOT ook like a ‘Hijhdon ki fauj’ 

Edited by coffee_rules
3 hours ago, bowl_out said:

He is seen as an insurance 

If one of the five bowlers has an off day or gets injured, Thakur can get some overs. If we have a top order collapse and the middle order is fighting it out, Thakur is expected to hang around with the No.6 or 7 that he might be batting with. 

If the bowlers are having a good day and batsmen are having a good day, he is not required. Like today's game, the insurance wasn't required to be used.

Ashwin will come back against SENA teams and teams with many lefties. If Bangladesh has many lefties,  Ashwin might come in for him.

Exactly. He’s an equivalent of Ashwin in spin pitches. He can bowl a few overs and give a break to  Pandua and not rely on all 5 bowlers bowling the  full quota. One of them is bound to have a bad day, as Rohit explained in the post match presentation.