This must be the end of Iyer's international career

Gollum

39 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Good player but always felt he had big ego. During his domestic career, he was always hyped up as future Indian captain and that probably got to him. 

There was a time when he had to travel and play a probably Ranji game for Mumbai very next day he landed. He scored big in the match and started complaining about work load balance in media. 

Many players would do anything to play a Ranji game in their early 20s. While it's fine to talk about workload, there will be times players need to put in extra effort. 

+ the IPL captaincy probably got into him. He was an opener for Mumbai and I expected his game to be tighter than what it is currently against seamers

28 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Likes of Kohli, Sharma are changing and improving their game even after 15 years of international cricket. What are the areas in which Iyer has improved himself?

I think he shouldn't have tried to improve. Real problem started after he started to improve himself lol. He has been practicing against short ball at the NCA relentlessly so much so he is trying to hit every short ball without any natural judgment of which one to leave which one to smash.

1 hour ago, R!TTER said:

Yeah but the likes of Gill and Iyer scored big on flat tracks anyway. 

These wickets really are tough. Granted , Iyer struggles against the short ball on a stumps line but I'm not sure Ishan should play in the middle order either. 

Especially on these pitches. 

10 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Yeah but the likes of Gill and Iyer scored big on flat tracks anyway. 

These wickets really are tough. Granted , Iyer struggles against the short ball on a stumps line but I'm not sure Ishan should play in the middle order either. 

Especially on these pitches. 

Gill has a big upside.. Iyer will have a limited career unless he eschews the pull/hook shot

10 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Can you please explain this to me, I have heard this term before, what does the "Bombay lobby quota" mean?

I presume its similar to in Australia, where players from the state of NSW (Sydney) are generally picked over other states.

Yes, something similar. I'll be writing an article on bombay lobby shortly

In short, the Bombay lobby is powerful in cricket and has been for decades. In a nutshell, undeserving players get a chance and even after failures repeatedly get chance after chance if they have the bombay lobby. Lobby comprises ex bombay cricketers who unfortunately have too much media access and power and will unbashingly attack non bombay players and play down their achievements while constantly lauding and backing mediocre players from bombay - e.g. Shreyas Iyer, Thakur, fatty Ramesh pawar

The cheerleaders for the lobby are so many but primary ones are gavaskar, tendulkar, manjrekar, agarkar etc

Also, this lobby goes back decades. If I am to go back in time the likes of khnadu ragnekar, chandrakant patankar, hardikar, rmnath parkar, ghulam parkar, aaviskar salvi, dhawal kulkarni and at least 25 other cricketers from bombay undeservedly played for india

@Gollum @Lord can add more. 

@Laaloo this is education for you

1 hour ago, IndiaWC8311 said:

In short, the Bombay lobby is powerful in cricket and has been for decades. In a nutshell, undeserving players get a chance and even after failures repeatedly get chance after chance if they have the bombay lobby. Lobby comprises ex bombay cricketers who unfortunately have too much media access and power and will unbashingly attack non bombay players and play down their achievements while constantly lauding and backing mediocre players from bombay - e.g. Shreyas Iyer, Thakur, fatty Ramesh pawar

Few more things which I hate about Bombay school of cricket is they play for 100s (Gavaskar keeps harping on it) and they play not to lose (safety first approach - Gavaskar's captaincy )

2 hours ago, diga said:

Gill has a big upside.. Iyer will have a limited career unless he eschews the pull/hook shot

Gill's technique is actually very suspect and he has done well purely on the basis of his hand eye.

Iyer has one serious flaw that's messing up and affecting the rest of his game .

Really needs to find a way around it and it's a shame if he can't find a solution because the rest of his game is pretty strong. 

26 minutes ago, diga said:

Few more things which I hate about Bombay school of cricket is they play for 100s (Gavaskar keeps harping on it) and they play not to lose (safety first approach - Gavaskar's captaincy )

Yep conservative and selfish approach. I remember Tendulkar wasting 2 years chasing his 100th hundred meanwhile hindering India and causing us games

The other thing is hypocrisy: Lobby criticized Kohli for wasting a few minutes at most for chasing a hundred in a game that was already won but didn't say a thing about Sachin wasting 2 years

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

Iyer and GIll should be dominating in Indian conditions. Even guys like Shaifque is being consistent. Especially Gll given his form should be reeling out 100s. So far bit of a disappointment. 

I think Gill is lacking power because of dengue weakness. Apart from Eng game he has given good starts but got out trying to clear the ropes.

3 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Iyer and GIll should be dominating in Indian conditions. Even guys like Shaifque is being consistent. Especially Gll given his form should be reeling out 100s. So far bit of a disappointment. 

Yes very strange to see Ind batting approach - Gill has played 4 matches and no big score these are his kind of pitches.

Hopefully comes true in later stages of the game.

Iyer can still salvage ODI place-Just need to let go of hitting the bouncer. Ind greats have done this in Past Sachin, Viru, Gangully.

He is not playing short ball on merit, he is playing then in anger trying to prove a senseless point. 

Do not think Kishan is anywhere near him, Iyer is a gutsy player if he is there runs will come but Kishan gets stuck not able to rotate strike and this may cause him to lose his own wkt or out of pressure of scoring other batter may lose their wkt.

Do not trust Sky in ODis, he is too much hurry, I think in T20s he comes-up the order when ball is new and hard and he is able to use the pace and angles for ball to reach boundary INd ODI ball is old nad soft so those wristy flicks does not reach to the boundary.

Edited by tapandrun
42 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

According to TOI Iyer has got out to the short ball a staggering 14 times in his ODI career,thats a huge freaking red flag going forward even in the upcoming home test series.

Irony is he is surrounded by some of the greatest pull shot players India ever produced.  Rohit, Kohli, Rahul, Gill.  At this point Karate Kid version 2.0  may provide more stability lol