This must be the end of Iyer's international career

Gollum

Enough is enough. Can't have someone with such a glaring deficiency be our batting mainstay. Neither does he have the ability, nor the willingness to gut it out. Frankly embarrassing now, it's 2023, not 1963 and Indians shouldn't be so helpless against the short ball. Also no mental toughness, no bowling skill, this hack offers us nothing. There must be 50 domestic players better than this idiot. I thought he would do well against spin, but he has lost that ability as well. And most of the times gets out before spin is introduced. 

Iyer get out. 

People tell me Ganguly also had a weakness against bounce but what they don’t understand is that Ganguly was so good against lateral movement, look at his record in Eng and Nz, also I have forgotten the count of the number of matches where he was the lone warrior as opener against Wasim Waqar.

On top of that he was an actual good player of spin unlike Iyer who is just good against bad spin bowling. Still remember how Ganguly used tp go over the spinner’s head for a six, inside out shots as well.

Kishan is not a big upgrade but atleast he shows more aggression and can actually play short stuff

4 minutes ago, Adamant said:

People tell me Ganguly also had a weakness against bounce but what they don’t understand is that Ganguly was so good against lateral movement, look at his record in Eng and Nz, also I have forgotten the count of the number of matches where he was the lone warrior as opener against Wasim Waqar.

On top of that he was an actual good player of spin unlike Iyer who is just good against bad spin bowling. Still remember how Ganguly used tp go over the spinner’s head for a six, inside out shots as well.

Ganguly also had the ability to fight out bouncer barrages. Was ready to get hit, look like a clown etc but often he used to drop his ego and survive those passages of play. Not Steve Waugh level but good enough. This Iyer has no heart. 

Also he was a good bowling option, on seaming pitches won us a couple of ODIs against Pak, good partnership breaker etc. 

4 minutes ago, Adamant said:

Kishan is not a big upgrade but atleast he shows more aggression and can actually play short stuff

Kishan is also an LHB, and very short, need some variety in the top 6. To mess up line/length of bowlers. 

Edited by Gollum
3 minutes ago, MediumPacer said:

supposedly practiced this in the nca ,i have never seen such a jumpy pull shot work .

such poor technique and execution ,kudos to all his coaches

If he can't play the pull shot why not leave those deliveries especially at the start of the innings? Also no scorecard pressure today or need to maintain high RR, he could have taken his own sweet time, waited for spin, made Poms sweat under the sun and cash in later. 

Edited by Gollum
1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Bring in Rishabh Pant when he returns.

Even if he can't keep.

P.S .. Pant should probably not keep for 6 months after his return. He is good enough as a pure batter.

Pant at no.4 will get a left hander in top order too. 

We will have others options too going forward. This is not end of Iyers career probably but looks bad when he does this in India on the big stage. He is not helping himself.

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

If he can't play the pull shot why not leave those deliveries especially at the start of the innings? Also no scorecard pressure today or need to maintain high RR, he could have taken his own sweet time, waited for spin, made Poms sweat under the sun and cash in later. 

Its an ego issue,

5 minutes ago, Lord said:

Its an ego issue,

This is serious weakness when pacers get the ball above his throat level and  line of the  ball is around his right hand. He finds himself in no position to play the hook from that position. I bet even Jaiswal, Raturaj , Tilak will do better than him even today than this guy in MO . 

What upgrade we see is just that he has stopped that off side ramp shot against short stuff and plays OK level pull when is upto chest level. 

Man , this is WC .  He should keep is ego at home else his career will be over.

We most probably know that 4 SF opponents could be SA, AUS, NZ who have very good pacers . How we can take this liability of a batsman against short stuff against them in SF  & Final ? .

That's why his WC should end here and now we need to make a choice between SKY & Ishan . My choice would be SKY.

If TM does not do this , it will be plain stupid on their part .

4 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

Iyer has to go now..he is really walking on thin ice & he is not helping himself.

Time to inject Rinku in ODI setup now, I don't think we will get any better finisher than him who also has power and a good mental strength. 

We should figure what to do in the WC now before talking about long term prospects.

Who would we have between Iyer and SKY when Pandya is back