Rahul Dravid has to do this before ending his tenure

End this culture of mad obsession with individual records. This is not isolated for cricket alone. This country is obsessed with individual achievements, to a point that we won't be cognizant of the impact on the team. 

Post this WC, I hope there can be a new era where Dravid is able to establish a new culture if team over individual. Hopefully he will have enough hold on this team to make this difference especially with those at early stages of their career. 

Dravid will not be able to do till VK, Rohit is playing. Average mindset of a viewer/cricket even in yesterday's match was like - VK is playing the best ( best knocks were from Rohit, Gill & Iyer ) while it was very evident he is decent . A score of 430 became 390+ even when you were 1 wicket down at 40th over.

Add to that massive massive PR machinery . What coverage Shami got in this match compared to VK ?

I feel that is still a bit far off . 

Dravid se nahi ho payega & neither he will get into that . He would leave after 2 year term ends or  post next T20WC.

I think with SRT the reason was that we were a poor team and only thing to cherish for Indians in that time was the best batsman in the world.

With Kohli it is a massive PR machinery. An average cricket fan just doesn't care for 50th 100 or 100th 50 whatever now. They all want only India to win. I think disney+star has vested interests in promoting him, may be they are getting paid by his PR. His wife is from Bollywood where PR plays much bigger role in career so may be that is causing him to invest a lot more in self branding.

For instance, ever since I started using twitter in 2013-14 I used to see these Bollywood PR being vile and abusive, having massive social media fan wars etc. Somehow that thing came into cricket as well through Kohli fans. Any criticism of Kohli on twitter and his fans will abuse and harass the person. Even now when a bowler dismisses him, his fans go to instagram of the bowler and abuse him for a few days. These are typical traits you associate with Bollywood PR agencies.

Edited by Number
1 hour ago, prudent_kreeda said:

Dravid will not be able to do till VK, Rohit is playing. Average mindset of a viewer/cricket even in yesterday's match was like - VK is playing the best ( best knocks were from Rohit, Gill & Iyer ) while it was very evident he is decent . A score of 430 became 390+ even when you were 1 wicket down at 40th over.

Add to that massive massive PR machinery . What coverage Shami got in this match compared to VK ?

I feel that is still a bit far off . 

Dravid se nahi ho payega & neither he will get into that . He would leave after 2 year term ends or  post next T20WC.

I know we would like to think that is hamaam mein sab nagein hai. Its not quite true. Not everyone is a problem. Rohit's perfomance in WC shows enough to say what he thinks.

1 hour ago, Nikola said:

It's not dravid, it's fans who needs to end this bs but it won't happen. You will see future players following same path and playing for records cause that's what makes you a star in this country. 

Fans will change with the team. Its about how you brand the team and what the team represents. Fans don't have another team to root for.

1 hour ago, Number said:

I think with SRT the reason was that we were a poor team and only thing to cherish for Indians in that time was the best batsman in the world.

With Kohli it is a massive PR machinery. An average cricket fan just doesn't care for 50th 100 or 100th 50 whatever now. They all want only India to win. I think disney+star has vested interests in promoting him, may be they are getting paid by his PR. His wife is from Bollywood where PR plays much bigger role in career so may be that is causing him to invest a lot more in self branding.

For instance, ever since I started using twitter in 2013-14 I used to see these Bollywood PR being vile and abusive, having massive social media fan wars etc. Somehow that thing came into cricket as well through Kohli fans. Any criticism of Kohli on twitter and his fans will abuse and harass the person. Even now when a bowler dismisses him, his fans go to instagram of the bowler and abuse him for a few days. These are typical traits you associate with Bollywood PR agencies.

It is engrained in our culture. Every parent wants their kid to get 95+% 

27 minutes ago, WC2011INDIA said:

It is engrained in our culture. Every parent wants their kid to get 95+% 

The issue is not wanting to get 95%. The issue is not understanding that you are part of bigger unit. Your actions impact others. That growth will come through collaboration. The Indian cricket has disproportionate influence on Indian people. Its important that it leads the way on this matter first before advising the people on how they should celebrate festivals.

Why do  they have to be mutually exclusive.

Rohit is not able bat deep,so he is going for his shots from ball one.

Kohli even if he wanted might not have the top gear like he used ten years.

Each of them are filling a role.

Sachin or Kohli chasing  such huge milestones does not happen every day so them being under pressure is understandable as they are human too.

I don’t see where is the problem?

This assumption that they don’t understand team work is ridiculous.

Edited by putrevus
7 hours ago, Chakdephatte said:

Tbh Rohit, Gill, and Iyer were not thinking about milestone. It's just Kohli who is behaving like maniac this whole World Cup. It's up to the individual really. After you have become a member of the team, you cannot be advised.

If I recall correctly, early and mid-career VK was not a milestone guy. As these guys get older and see the sunset, they start to care more about things like legacy.

I am willing to bet that, if RGS, SG or SI were close to a "huge landmark" like VK was, they would do what VK is doing now.

I have accepted that this is cricket. I hate this part of the game, and hope there will be a day there will not be a bat-raise when one reaches a 50 or 100.

But I really don't expect it to change. Even the Afghani guy who hit/missed a century in the early rounds was talking about it before he talked about the value of his knock from a team-perspective. It does seem exaggerated in the Indian cricket culture, but that may be because I don't pay attention to the other teams.

Edited by BacktoCricaddict
8 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

End this culture of mad obsession with individual records. This is not isolated for cricket alone. This country is obsessed with individual achievements, to a point that we won't be cognizant of the impact on the team. 

Post this WC, I hope there can be a new era where Dravid is able to establish a new culture if team over individual. Hopefully he will have enough hold on this team to make this difference especially with those at early stages of their career. 

American football is an excellent example of a consummate team game. Very rarely, if at all, do the players acknowledge landmark individual stats in the middle of a game.

9 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

American football is an excellent example of a consummate team game. Very rarely, if at all, do the players acknowledge landmark individual stats in the middle of a game.

Absolutely NFL. Rugby, Football. Even NBA for all its stars. For context, Steve Waugh was considered and booted out of the Australian team. 

22 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

They stopped the game when Peyton got the the record and when Brees passed Peyton and  finally when Brady got the record.

Similarly they stopped when Emmit Smith passed Walter Peyton. Everywhere records are given importance.they are meant to be cherished, nothing wrong in that, it is a culmination of a player's  hard work and dedication.

When Lebron passed Jabbar even then match was stopped and Jabbar came onto the court too.

Sachin got flak for his 100th century because he was done as player and he was hanging on to dear life just for that record. Samething with Kapil Dev.

Kohli is not doing any such thing,  he is doing it and helping his team win the matches. 

These over the top reactions are ridiculous.

Edited by putrevus
5 minutes ago, putrevus said:

They stopped the game when Peyton got the the record and when Brees passed Peyton and  finally when Brady got the record.

Similarly they stopped when Emmit Smith passed Walter Peyton. Everywhere records are given importance.they are meant to cherished, nothing wrong in that, it is a culmination of a player's  hard work and dedication.

When Lebron Pass Jabbar even then match was stopped and Jabbar came onto the court too.

These over the top reactions are ridiculous.

Fair points, but I am complaining about something different. My analogy would be - if every time someone reached a 100 yards rushing or 300 yards passing in a game - they would stop to raise their helmets and acknowledge the crowd. Or keep track of how many 100-yard games or 300-yard games someone has.

It's one thing to celebrate the total number of runs one scores (like total yards or total TDs or total points), but not count some meaningless landmarks like 100 runs, 40 points, 15 rebounds, 300 yards etc.