This series felt closer than it actually is..

England and the imaginary pressure they've created with Bazball has created the impression that this series has been a very closely fought one and it has certainly felt that way when reading the match threads even if the scoreline tells you a different story. Despite all the dhoti shivering we may win this series 4-1 with a team that has many rookies. 

Edited by rollingstoned

Stokes as a captain has utilized the 3 rookie spinners amazingly well.

Sure he made some bad judgement calls this test but overall, his captaincy narrowed the gulf between the teams.

India had no business winning this test but we seem to pull out crazy clutch performances when it matters and thats been the best part about this team.

Had Jurel not scored in first innings, we were done.

Had Kuldeep not supported him we were done.

Had Ashwin not picked up the first 3 wickets quickly we were done.

Had Kuldeep not triggered a collapse with his 4 wickets we were done.

Had Jaiswall and Rohit not started well, we were done.

Had Gill and Jurel not held their nerves we were done.

Damn that was close.

Well played England.

Very well played.

1 hour ago, sensible-indian said:

Sure he made some bad judgement calls this test but overall, his captaincy narrowed the gulf between the teams.

India had no business winning this test but we seem to pull out crazy clutch performances when it matters and thats been the best part about this team.

Damn that was close.

Well played England.

Very well played.

Could say the same about any performance really

What will england score if root was caught early. He was deopped twice

2 hours ago, sensible-indian said:

Damn that was close.

Well played England.

Very well played.

Had someone caught pope,it would have been over for Eng in the first test

Had Rohit introduced Kuldeep earlier in this test in first and second innings,it could have been over much much earlier

Had we not played Moookesh and Patidar in every frickin match,we would have won by huge margins

Lost to Eng first test due to one FREAK Innings

Won by 106 Runs

Won by 434 Runs

Won by 5 wickets

It's NOT THAT CLOSE

1 hour ago, Kron said:

Could say the same about any performance really

What will england score if root was caught early. He was deopped twice

Thats not how it works.

When you are behind by 170 runs with 3 wickets in hand, you are bound to lose most of the times.

If Dhruv and Kuldeep had batted well, but Ashwin didn't bowl well - England would have had enough to win.

If Dhruv and Kuldeep had batted well, Ashwin had bowled well but Kuldeep didn't trigger a collapse - England would have had enough to win.

If Dhruv and Kuldeep had batted well, Ashwin & Kuldeep bowled well but Rohit/Jaiswal didn't get to 80/0 - Engaldn might have won.

Even if all of the above happened, if Jurel and Gill hadn't shown composure - it would have gone down the wire.

It's not one catch dropped or one lbw missed (same can be said about Pope's innings but we don't do that).

It's about 5 events that happened one after the other and even if 1-2 had misfired, England would have won.

Now that's some serious clutch performance and the game was very very close.

Edited by sensible-indian
10 minutes ago, nitinbwj said:

Had Rohit introduced Kuldeep earlier in this test in first and second innings,it could have been over much much earlier

Had we not played Moookesh and Patidar in every frickin match,we would have won by huge margins

Won by 106 Runs

Won by 434 Runs

Won by 5 wickets

It's NOT THAT CLOSE

Nah.

False equivalence.

England can use the same logic and say the series could have been 2-2 atleast by now.

Refer to my post above.

This game required 7 players to chip in at the right moment once we were 170 runs behind.

Had even 1-2 didn't do their part, we would be sitting 2-2 right now.

12 minutes ago, nitinbwj said:

Won by 106 Runs

Won by 434 Runs

Won by 5 wickets

It's NOT THAT CLOSE

In both this test and the previous one we were on the backfoot going into day 3 actually. Last test the turning point was Root's dismissal after which we didn't look back. In this one it was the Jurel and Kuldeep partnership which kept us in it and then the spell of bowling yday which was what allowed us to undo the toss advantage.

Even in Vizag Bumrah's spell was what allowed us to win it, there was a meltdown here when England were coasting lol. 

Just now, rollingstoned said:

In both this test and the previous one we were on the backfoot going into day 3 actually. Last test the turning point was Root's dismissal after which we didn't look back. In this one it was the Jurel and Kuldeep partnership which kept us in it and then the spell of bowling yday which was what allowed us to undo the toss advantage.

Even in Vizag Bumrah's spell was what allowed us to win it, there was a meltdown here when England were coasting lol. 

Exactly.

In 3 out of 4 tests, India staged a comeback to win the test.

The match thread was filled with posters weeping, gnashing and crying about losing the series day in and day out.

It was very very very close.

1 hour ago, sensible-indian said:

Thats not how it works.

When you are behind by 170 runs with 3 wickets in hand, you are bound to lose most of the times.

If Dhruv and Kuldeep had batted well, but Ashwin didn't bowl well - England would have had enough to win.

If Dhruv and Kuldeep had batted well, Ashwin had bowled well but Kuldeep didn't trigger a collapse - England would have had enough to win.

If Dhruv and Kuldeep had batted well, Ashwin & Kuldeep bowled well but Rohit/Jaiswal didn't get to 80/0 - Engaldn might have won.

Even if all of the above happened, if Jurel and Gill hadn't shown composure - it would have gone down the wire.

It's not one catch dropped or one lbw missed (same can be said about Pope's innings but we don't do that).

It's about 5 events that happened one after the other and even if 1-2 had misfired, England would have won.

Now that's some serious clutch performance and the game was very very close.

We could extrapolate results from any game really and say if it werent for such and such player the opponents may have lost. 

Absolute clutch i agree. 

Remember 2018? India could have easily won 3-1 or 3-2 there too if it werent for sam curran of all people

It is what it is. This was a team performance. 

17 minutes ago, Kron said:

We could extrapolate results from any game really and say if it werent for such and such player the opponents may have lost. 

Absolute clutch i agree. 

Remember 2018? India could have easily won 3-1 or 3-2 there too if it werent for sam curran of all people

It is what it is. This was a team performance. 

Yes but this thread is about how this series has been very very very close and the scorecard doesn't quite reveal it.

And 2018 England series is a perfect mirror image of this series.

Edited by sensible-indian

India should have never been bowled out by this side even in one innings let alone  6 out of 8 innings. This has to be one of the worst spin bowling attack ever to tour India. Then a 42 year old. Wood/Robinson as meek as they come. Root a part timer.  Jaiswal bridged the gap massively. He scored almost double the score of anyone else in the series. But for insane form of Jaiswal there is not much difference.

Edited by vvvslaxman

I feel some Indians are obsessed with obliterating an opponent. my hope is always for good cricket for 4-5 days, and series win be it 3-2 or 5-0.

they will be disappointed with Stokes' batting. he usually turns a game or two with the bat but was awful this series.

3 minutes ago, goose said:

I feel some Indians are obsessed with obliterating an opponent. my hope is always for good cricket for 4-5 days, and series win be it 3-2 or 5-0.

they will be disappointed with Stokes' batting. he usually turns a game or two with the bat but was awful this series.

He should admit he failed his team with his bat but so far I have not seen him do that, he is talking about everyone else other than himself.

2 minutes ago, putrevus said:

He should admit he failed his team with his bat but so far I have not seen him do that, he is talking about everyone else other than himself.

i noticed that. i think he is just super positive in how he operates shunning all negativity preferring to praise the indians

18 minutes ago, goose said:

Stokes's performance is not any surprise, if anything he's lucky that Ashwin is not at top of his game, eats lefties like him for breakfast.

Stokes turns games very rarely outside England.

14 minutes ago, goose said:

i noticed that. i think he is just super positive in how he operates shunning all negativity preferring to praise the indians

If it is working for his team then more power to him.

One thing is there for sure , he is a very good captain .His captaincy is one of the main reasons why they have competed this hard.