Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

On 7/28/2020 at 5:55 PM, Rightarmfast said:

It could be the same series. I dont recall exactly when. The point is, I have seen him touch 146, or I wont claim here. Just the way I have seen RP Singh bowl at around 148-149, and Sreeshanth around 148ish, 149ish. 

i have seen RP bowling 149k ..sreesanth too 149k but Pathan was at max 142k at max but a lot of swing. He was mostly 120 to 136k and during his peak days bowled till 142k.

possibly he was pushed to bowl faster, finally he broke down as he was not a genuine fast bowler but a true swing bowler. but he was pushed to bowl fast. greg chappel pushed him to bowl fast where as he should have been asked to swing more.

greg also supported a bowler called vrv who he declared much better than Munaf. but he could not improve vrv singh and finally VRV declined. VRV also bowled upto 143K.

6 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

CricViz Analysis - Are India Selecting their Best T20 Team?

CricViz rates Sandeep Sharma and Siddharth Kaul as our 3rd and 4th best T20 pacers. Their rating system doesn't rate Thakur, Ahmed, or especially Shami very well...

sandeep has acutally troubled many batsman in IPL , these swing bowlers liek sandeep, bk, chahar generally do well as new ball does swing for 2-3 overs and they swing the ball big.....batsman are looking to slog and hence loose wkts. 

Umesh yadav is also in that stat due to that reason as he takes wkts 

Kaul slower ones get him wkts in death overs

But stat again increases my doubt on shami as t20 bowler 

On 8/9/2020 at 8:21 PM, Vilander said:

Arjun has a bustling runup. Does not seem fully organised may be he will improve.

Arjun looks very good. Apparently, he is hip dominant, fascia-tendon driven springy fast bowler, gets off the backfoot very quickly, so doesn't lose the momentum he generates through his bustling run-up. His action is also much more refined than before. 

Edited by rkt.india
6 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Arjun looks very good. Apparently, he is hip dominant, fascia-tendon driven springy fast bowler, gets off the backfoot very quickly, so doesn't lose the momentum he generates through his bustling run-up. His action is also much more refined than before. 

Whatever you are seeing, I am missing that point. What my eyes tell me, he is hardly using his hips. His pace seems to be coming majorly from lats transferring to shoulders. He is hardly able to use his hips or either spring up or catapult to generate pace. 

Maybe at other times he does, but in this video its neither springy nor hip movement.

39 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Whatever you are seeing, I am missing that point. What my eyes tell me, he is hardly using his hips. His pace seems to be coming majorly from lats transferring to shoulders. He is hardly able to use his hips or either spring up or catapult to generate pace. 

Maybe at other times he does, but in this video its neither springy nor hip movement.

Hip dominant doesn't mean, you need to move your hip. There are two types of bowlers hip dominant and knee dominant. Angle of your knee while Landing of your Blackfoot on the crease defines your category. Bowlers who have knee angle between 45-90 degrees are knee dominant bowler for eg shami, yadav, ishant, Mitch johnson, Brett lee, akhtar, tait, bond, stanlake, Loki etc. Bowlers with angle less than 45 degrees are defined as hip dominant bowlers which means their back foot is less bent or more straight while landing for eg Bumrah, starc, Cummins, archer, Steyn, tabadala etc. 

These two types of bowlers differs in how they generate pace.  Hip dominant need fast runups and quickly off the back foot on the crease. Look how quick Arjun gets of his back foot. While knee dominant bowlers need more time on the back foot for eg Mitch Johnson. 

Hip dominant bowlers are more springy, fascia-tendon elasticity driven bowlers. They need more time running, jumping as their workout, less gym work. While knee dominants are mostly muscle driven, strength driven bowlers. They need more time in gym to gain strength and make use of RSI (reactive strength index).

Example with a picture. First row is of hip dominant. Second is of knee dominant bowlers 

Screenshot_20200811-200201~2.png

Edited by rkt.india

Mate, you are beginning to sound like wikipedia :)) naah, look at the picture properly, Arjune's action doesnt resemble either. Atleast to me. He has an awkward lift to his left leg which he is only using to balance, not catapult or use for extension. 

There could be 2 or 3 types of bowler who use use their hip muscles. But you know one when you see one.

So just to cross check , I watched him on youtube right now. And I stick to my point. He just doesnt use his hip one bit. Infact, he must be one of the very few who just doesnt know how to use his hips in athletics. His body co-ordination looks off.

15 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Mate, you are beginning to sound like wikipedia :)) naah, look at the picture properly, Arjune's action doesnt resemble either. Atleast to me. He has an awkward lift to his left leg which he is only using to balance, not catapult or use for extension. 

There could be 2 or 3 types of bowler who use use their hip muscles. But you know one when you see one.

So just to cross check , I watched him on youtube right now. And I stick to my point. He just doesnt use his hip one bit. Infact, he must be one of the very few who just doesnt know how to use his hips in athletics. His body co-ordination looks off.

Bhai. His left leg gets off the ground quickly and his knee doesn't make big angle that is why he is hip dominant.  That lift you are talking about makes him hip dominant bowler. 

Apart from that regarding his body balance, hip-shoulder separation , braced front leg. All these things can only be assessed by proper slo-mo video. Only thing that can be assessed from these videos is that he is a hip dominant bowler. He is lacking hip shoulder separation but he is still a hip dominant bowler.

Hip dominant and knee dominant are two different positions of a bowler on landing. In modern fast bowling coaching manual, we categorize fast bowlers in these two categories based on their backfoot landing and angle of the knee.  I am talking about these technicalities as a coach and you are assessing him in layman's terms.

Edited by rkt.india