Anil Kumble: Head coach [Update Post 141: Kumble will teach India to deal with 'tough moments']

Anil Kumble's coaching goals: I want bowlers to believe that they're leaders

Bengaluru: Presenting a fair idea of his leadership style in the role of India coach, Anil Kumble on Wednesday said he will try to inculcate self belief in his bowlers as he wants them to develop as leaders.

Kumble, himself an inspiring figure in his playing days, on Wednesday had his first interaction with the players after taking over as chief coach as the training camp for the West Indies tour began at Bengaluru.

"I will try and observe how the team is shaping up and at this point in time, I would like to look at the bowlers. That is something I am looking at...get closer to the bowlers and understand what their needs are and then probably looking at bringing in a fast bowling coach. That is a consideration I am thinking of. Bowling is one area where I can contribute," Kumble said at a press conference.

"When I was a player, I used to feel that you are the captain of your own bowling, which I would like to try and inculcate, especially in the bowling group. That is important," he said.

"All of them must believe that they are leaders," he added. 

http://www.firstpost.com/sports/anil-kumbles-coaching-goals-i-want-bowlers-to-believe-that-theyre-leaders-2862972.html?utm_source=FP_CAT_LATEST_NEWS

VVS Laxman in conflict of interest row while selecting Anil Kumble for head coach post 

The head coach of the Indian cricket team is one of the most sought after jobs in the county, and it is no wonder that there has been plenty of controversy surrounding the appointment of Anil Kumble. The latest in this affair is that it has emerged that VVS Laxman, one of the three members of the Cricket Advisory Committee tasked with selecting the coach for the team, might be involved in a conflict of interest row. The former Indian batsmen, as revealed by DNA, is a shareholder in Anil Kumble’s company, Tenvic Sports Education Private Limited. If proven true, it would seriously undermine the decision taken by Laxman, irrespective of whether he acted rationally. 

full article- http://www.sportskeeda.com/cricket/vvs-laxman-in-conflict-of-interest-row-while-selecting-anil-kumble-for-head-coach-post

1 hour ago, Ironhide said:

Should have just selected Tom Moody and be done with it. All this conflict of interest issues would have not arisen, this Laxman selling his shares in Tenvic looks like a weak excuse, as if the association goes away within a day of selling the shares. 

No fast bowling coach too as Kumble wants to coach bowlers himself, this is idiocacy at its best.

even with tom moody every Ex-indian cricketer wud have stood up that y not desi coach y videsi. 

Next day the headline wud have been "Gori chamdi pe andha vishwaas kyun?"

Laxman had sold his Tenvic shares - BCCI

The BCCI has clarified that VVS Laxman had eliminated a conflict of interest before a three-member cricket advisory committee got down to interviewing candidates for the position of India head coach. The BCCI eventually appointed Anil Kumble, in whose company, Tenvic, Laxman held shares.

The clarification came in response to a DNA report that said Laxman was the second-largest shareholder in Tenvic Sports Education Private Limited. The report also stated that Laxman held 33,332 shares in the company, and that he was entitled to a substantial amount of money in the form of incentives, bonus and other benefits.

"Mr Laxman informed BCCI that he had sold his total shareholding of 5% in Tenvic Sport in the month of March 2016 and also declared that he no longer held any shareholding or any official or unofficial position in Tenvic Sports," BCCI secretary Ajay Shirke said in a release. "This took place prior to the commencement of the operations of this Committee. Mr Laxman was therefore in no position of a conflict of interest at the time of selection of the head coach of Indian cricket team. All assumptions and conclusions to that effect are therefore erroneous."

Reports around Laxman's possible conflict were the latest in what has been a controversial selection of the coach. Sourav Ganguly, part of the advisory committee, and Ravi Shastri, one of the candidates, have had digs at each other. Shastri said it was disrespectful that Ganguly was not present when he was interviewed. Ganguly responded by explaining the circumstances behind his absence, and clarified it was not his decision but that of the committee as a whole. He also said "there are other people involved also" in the decision-making.

Also Kumble's involvement in Tenvic, a company "in the business of sports and consulting", had raised concerns around a possible conflict of interest in the past. Kumble has always denied Tenvic, which has cricketers as clients, is a talent management company.

Minutes after he was announced as India's next coach, though, he tackled the conflict-of-interest question. "We [BCCI and I] have already discussed that," Kumble said last week. "Whatever needs to be done will be done before I take up this role officially. That has been discussed, and it has been clear with the BCCI as well. Something that can be easily resolved."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/1031169.html

Well, sachin ganguly laxman etc interviewing their close friend kumble. Everybody else was at a huge disadvantage.  This is regardless of who was chosen. 

The problem Indian cricket faces is that its impossible to not have conflict of interest. Say your a cricketer. What happens post retirement? You form your own company and try to be parts of indian cricket eco system.

3 hours ago, maniac said:

I just saw a press conference where Kumble answered a lot of questions in Kannada......It has begun folks :cantstop:

Welcome To

6.jpg

Dont worry... rayudu will be made the captain in all 3 formats and u can run naked in hyderabad celebrating it....

Blind accusations at a person who has been among the top professional sportsperson for India of all time. There was not a single accusation at him when he was a player and I believe the same will continue once he is coach. He has also mentioned the importance of fast bowling, something Kohli is on board with. So the people who are talking about Vinay Kumar etc, I dont know what they are smoking, but must be some good stuff

Kumble reintroduces Wright's 'buddy programme

When Anil Kumble took over as India's head coach, he was quick to acknowledge the influence of his predecessors, notably John Wright, and said he would continue to pick his brain. In only his first week in the job, Kumble has already re-introduced one of Wright's key concepts: a buddy system.

During the 2001 series against Australia, Wright assigned a partner to each member of the team, usually pairing a batsman with a bowler. One such relationship, VVS Laxman becoming Zaheer Khan's unofficial batting coach, carried on well beyond Wright's tenure. Kumble has instituted something similar, usually pairing a batsman with a bowler or an allrounder: Shikhar Dhawan with Mohammed Shami, for example, or Virat Kohli with Bhuvneshwar Kumar.

"It's about the senior guys communicating with the junior guys," Stuart Binny said. "Today we've paired up - each guy's paired with another guy; it's called a 'buddy programme'. So it's me and Rohit [Sharma] paired up together. Ro has played a lot of one-day cricket and Test cricket, and for me to share thoughts with him, that's the way forward, I think. If I can help Rohit by 2%, then maybe he can help me with 30% - that's what we're looking to do today. It's about helping each other through situations.

Binny said the primary reason for the system was to get the players to communicate better, and voice their thoughts without hesitation.

"It's about me and Rohit communicating about our net sessions, about areas that I bowl [for example]. In the past, many guys held back because you didn't want to say something to upset another guy, but we've been pushed in a direction to communicate what we want, especially with our games. There's a lot you can learn from someone else, even by telling him that, I think this is the way forward. Communication is the key, I think. That's what we're trying to breed."

Over the course of their Test careers so far, Binny and Rohit have often vied for the same spot in the side, depending on whether conditions have demanded an extra batsman or an allrounder. Binny said that topic hadn't come up yet. "No, not yet. I hope it doesn't come to that, but, look, the team comes first, so whatever needs to be done on that day or before the Test match, we're there to do it."

There was a slightly lopsided air to India's nets session on Saturday in Bangalore; among the first to pad up was Amit Mishra, and one of the first spinners to have a lengthy bowl was Cheteshwar Pujara, who yelped in delight when he beat Ajinkya Rahane's outside edge. Pujara had perhaps already picked up a tip or two from his buddy Mishra.

"We've divided in such a way that batsmen will help bowlers and bowlers will help batsmen, so that whenever we need to play six or seven batsmen, the batsmen can chip in with the ball, bowl seven-eight overs for us," Mishra said. "My buddy is Pujara - he bowls a bit of legspin; he can help me with my batting, and I can help with his legspin, so that whenever we might need it, he can bowl seven-eight overs for the team and help us."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/1031827.html

7 hours ago, UnknownGenius said:

So we know:

Virat- Bhuvi

Dhawan-Shami

Pujara - Mishra

Rohit - Bunny

What are the other pairings?

Ashwin and ? - My guess Murli Vijay. Both classic batsmen and Murli bowls a bit of off spin

Rahane and ? Shardul Thakur?

Saha and ?

KL Rahul and?

Great initiative by kumble. :cheer: 

Also i feel its Rahane - Ashwin . 

As for other pairings i guess

Saha - Umesh

Vijay - Thakur

Rahul - Ishant 

On 01/07/2016 at 5:56 PM, maniac said:

I just saw a press conference where Kumble answered a lot of questions in Kannada......It has begun folks :cantstop:

Welcome To

6.jpg

So the media was asking questions in English/Hindi and Kumble was answering in Kannada ? or you have a problem with him answering in Kannada to some local channels ?