'If Dhoni is not delivering, we will have to look at alternatives' : Chairman of selectors MSK Prasad

Ironhide

MS Dhoni is not an automatic selection in ODIs anymore. A day after India announced the squadfor Sri Lanka, leaving out Yuvraj Singh, chairman of selectors MSK Prasad was asked if Dhoni was a natural pick, if the name rolled off naturally as it used to: "Virat, MSD…"

"Whenever a player keeps ageing," Prasad's reply began. "I was just reading [Andre] Agassi's book, Open, his life actually started after 30 years. Till then he won two or three. His actual life started after that. He lived with media pressure, 'When are you going to retire?' But he played till 36 and he won so many Grand Slams. So you never know. We don't say it is an automatic this thing… but we will see. We are all stakeholders. We all want the Indian team to do well. If he is delivering, why not? If he is not, we will have to look at alternatives."

Asked if there had been a discussion around Dhoni, Prasad said: "Discussions happen about everybody. It is not just MS. When we pick, when we talk about combinations, we talk about everybody. You will also see in time to come." Asked how confident Prasad was of seeing Dhoni in the 2019 World Cup and whether he was going to be rotated like other players too, he said: "We will see, we will see. The legend that he is, we don't want to make it… but yes we have a plan."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/1116599.html

12 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

So why didnt they select Pant in the squad? This guy Prasad is a joker and mostly plays to the gallery. I met him at the oval during Champions trophy and asked him why players like Pant/Pandey/Raina etc being ignored. His response was...all good players and will get a chance when the time is right :giggle:

What were you expecting ? 'Hey random indian fan lets discuss team selection while we both wait to take a leak'

I saw bits of conference, it was clear focus was on WC19. He said they have identified pool of players which they will tryout till dec and review the squad in nov - dec and rotate players, so no pant for next few series. 

Yes pant only got 1 game but it was clear he isnt ready for international cricket and the way to get him ready is A tours and not warming bench during international games. 

Edited by jf1gp_1
18 minutes ago, jf1gp_1 said:

What were you expecting ? 'Hey random indian fan lets discuss team selection while we both wait to take a leak'

I saw bits of conference, it was clear focus was on WC19. He said they have identified pool of players which they will tryout till dec and review the squad in nov - dec and rotate players, so no pant for next few series. 

Yes pant only got 1 game but it was clear he isnt ready for international cricket and the way to get him ready is A tours and not warming bench during international games. 

If that is the case why is Pant not playing in against SA. Is he not good enough for A team either?

24 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Pant has better FC record than Ishan Kishan and there is no way he should be selected ahead of him.

buddy i like pant and even i want to see him to do well, however i want him to be ready. 

Another thing MSK spoke about was fitness level of players. He said they are now going to place fitness guidelines which will be strictly adhered too, any player who fails to meet them wont be considered for selection. 

Good . Some balls by prasad at least brought it to table and public that could it . That's stage one . Then if sucks can axe him or he retires , so puts fan boys and msd on notice 

or can try someone else to fire for few games . If they deliver see you later bussienss man dhoni 

point is may well happen . Yes shoudl have happened yonks bank but still surprisingly positive move and first step 

gives me hope won't make it for wc 

1 hour ago, jf1gp_1 said:

buddy i like pant and even i want to see him to do well, however i want him to be ready. 

Another thing MSK spoke about was fitness level of players. He said they are now going to place fitness guidelines which will be strictly adhered too, any player who fails to meet them wont be considered for selection. 

I like Prassad's interview a lot , for the first time an Indian selector has a vision and plan. Ajay Jadeja was laughing saying in India long term plans don't work and people like him are dragging this team down.

4 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

So why didnt they select Pant in the squad? This guy Prasad is a joker and mostly plays to the gallery. I met him at the oval during Champions trophy and asked him why players like Pant/Pandey/Raina etc being ignored. His response was...all good players and will get a chance when the time is right :giggle:

He is not wrong either ....Its very difficult to pick everyone .

5 hours ago, Audiophile said:

Meanwhile in other news, MS Dhoni decied to have his annual physical checkup in London during the WC. Doctors found somethings during the rectal exam. It was Bewda and Rat!!  :lol:

rats up his rectum, that sounds about right.