Rahane will bomb miserably in this lone 5th match of a shitty SL-India Odi series

WC2011INDIA

KL Rahul should be our backup ODI opener. We should have played him as opener in this match. He seems more suited to opening than middle order. Middle order already looks pretty set with Kohli, Pandey, Jadhav and Dhoni. Krunal should be the backup for middle order and Hardik of course at 7. Iyer can also be given a chance in the middle order. 

if you giving some one a chance to prove , give a long run in a spot hes most comfortable . The pressure of losing your spot can make players unnaturally . Dosent help the team or the player . 

Rahane got runs in the last series - He gets dropped .

Jadhav was doing pretty well @6 , you promote him and he struggles in 2 matches - He gets dropped .

KL - A genuine opener , asked to play in the middle order struggles in 3 matches - He gets dropped .

Pandey - Has been on and off for past 2 years and has done well in spite of that - Hes one bad match from getting dropped again.

Same with Pant and Kuldeep . 

We are just ensuring that expect for few players who have been around for a while , every one else stays insecure of their place in the team ...how do you expect these guys to ever play freely and at their best ? 

10 minutes ago, Texan said:

KL Rahul should be our backup ODI opener. We should have played him as opener in this match. He seems more suited to opening than middle order. Middle order already looks pretty set with Kohli, Pandey, Jadhav and Dhoni. Krunal should be the backup for middle order and Hardik of course at 7. Iyer can also be given a chance in the middle order. 

Though I say the no4 experiment has not worked , I think KL has the game to play at 4 . The mental aspects required to handle chasing big totals is something he will have to develop and every chance he may not , but if Virat believes what he said about KL at the beginning of the series about KL then he should have been played a minimum of 2 series . May be he just needed one good knock to turn it around , but I guess we will never know now . Had it worked it would have been perfect for us . 

3 hours ago, Texan said:

KL Rahul is more suited to play at 4. Its just he's struggling to switch between the formats and the batting positions. 

10 hours ago, Lannister said:

KL Rahul is more suited to play at 4. Its just he's struggling to switch between the formats and the batting positions. 

He mostly opens in List A cricket for Karnataka. The middle order spot seemed like an IPL experiment. He did well in that one season and probably could bat in the middle order in T20 cricket, but for ODIs I feel opening is the natural batting position for him.

13 hours ago, jusarrived said:

Though I say the no4 experiment has not worked , I think KL has the game to play at 4 . The mental aspects required to handle chasing big totals is something he will have to develop and every chance he may not , but if Virat believes what he said about KL at the beginning of the series about KL then he should have been played a minimum of 2 series . May be he just needed one good knock to turn it around , but I guess we will never know now . Had it worked it would have been perfect for us . 

i disagree,even in his short stays he looked uncomfortable in middle order.anyways to make a switch from middle order to opener is easy but not the other way around.Also whats the need of such a move ,i mean is there dearth of middle order options?

5 hours ago, SK_IH said:

i disagree,even in his short stays he looked uncomfortable in middle order.anyways to make a switch from middle order to opener is easy but not the other way around.Also whats the need of such a move ,i mean is there dearth of middle order options?

He did look uncomfortable , but that could be just cos its a completely new role for him . Hes a busy player , technically good both against spin and pace and has the release shots if required so compared to lot of openers I think hes got a decent chance of suceeding if given a long run . My point was , if it was decided to give him a run in middle order you dont drop him after 3 innings ? What purpose did that serve ? Now next time if he does gets picked , he starts from scratch with more pressure on him .

I dont see him getting a chance in the top order , so the only chance to have him in the team is in the middle order . I think its important we have as many players playing all three formats as possible , for the overall stability of the team . 

6 hours ago, Texan said:

He mostly opens in List A cricket for Karnataka. The middle order spot seemed like an IPL experiment. He did well in that one season and probably could bat in the middle order in T20 cricket, but for ODIs I feel opening is the natural batting position for him.

he did open against England and failed. He will eventually come good and they need to give him those chances.

On 9/4/2017 at 10:27 AM, Texan said:

At the time when he was finding it easy to bat at 4, he was stuggling  to open the innings and now its viceversa. This balance he need to figure it out himself. Sachin used to bat at different positions. 

Edited by Lannister