Who is your first choice spinner for South African tour?

Cricketics

Your fiest choice spinner?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your first choice spinner for Souh African tour?

• Ashwin
    • Jadeja
    • Kuldeep
    • Doesn’t matter, whoever bats better keep him.

3 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Yes first test we will play Pandya, but if he fails with both bat and ball, we will have to change. Pandya is there to balance the team, but if he can not add any runs or bowl and support the bowlers, then I rather play extra spinner and make Jadeja and Ashwin play from 2nd test onwards. We can not continue to pick Pandya overseas just for balancing if he is not scoring or taking wickets. Yes, we can't expect to have our support bowler take fifers, but he should be doing enough to bowl decent and chip in with wickets here and there and add some runs to make his case. 

Pandya's selection after first test will be very critical. Let's see how he does. If it works, it will be brilliant. 

Isnt one opp to harsh on someone like Pandya specially who lends such good balance

Jadeja batting against pace n bounce is damn crap so he wud just do blind slogging .............

Ashwin well he is quality batsman

Pandya shud be persisted with. Pandya job wud be simple to Bowl 10-15 overs and give main bowlers rest.......now his biggest quality is batsman wud tend to relax against him but u dnt do that mistake with a bowler who bowls 140k + and get good bounce. PAndya wud be very handy with bowl in SA

About his batting- he wont do worse then rohit and Jadeja wont do much with bat then any tail ender against quality pace on those pitches. Jadeja is good when it comes to smashing spinners or playing on Subcontinent pitches but comes overseas it ll be blind slogging against the pace of rabadda 

7 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Isnt one opp to harsh on someone like Pandya specially who lends such good balance

Jadeja batting against pace n bounce is damn crap so he wud just do blind slogging .............

Ashwin well he is quality batsman

Pandya shud be persisted with. Pandya job wud be simple to Bowl 10-15 overs and give main bowlers rest.......now his biggest quality is batsman wud tend to relax against him but u dnt do that mistake with a bowler who bowls 140k + and get good bounce. PAndya wud be very handy with bowl in SA

About his batting- he wont do worse then rohit and Jadeja wont do much with bat then any tail ender against quality pace on those pitches. Jadeja is good when it comes to smashing spinners or playing on Subcontinent pitches but comes overseas it ll be blind slogging against the pace of rabadda 

I am talking about if we lose first test in South Africa and if Pandya doesn't work well in that test, then we will have to sit him out in the 2nd test. I am not saying to drop him out of the squad completely, just sit out for the next game. You have to make these calls and use your other players in the squad to ensure the team can come back in the series. I think if we lose first test, then I would go and try different things as I don't want to play same combination which lost badly in the first test,and the all rounder position I will monitor closely as his slot is very critical. 

Dropping after one bad performance overseas is not harsh, what is harsh is removing someone from the squad totally. No one is asking for that as we can still try him later down the line again. But that is if he doesn't work. IF he is able to contribute in first test, he play every test then, which is what we all want. 

19 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

and what are we basing our judgment on .....indian pitches

He needs help from the wkt. Surely this shud be checked in warmup games

Even if their bowling is found at par, ashwin still is ahead with his batting

same with Ashwin, hen needs help form the pitch too. 

On 11/20/2017 at 10:42 AM, rkt.india said:

same with Ashwin, hen needs help form the pitch too. 

All bowlers needs help at the end of the day 

Jadeja effectiveness depends when ball starts to turn as batsman then has no idea which ball wud turn and which wud noy

Now ashwin also needs help, but atleast is a far more skillfull bowler and batsman. Both thing wud be very important when we play 5 batsman + pandya + saha 

3 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

All bowlers needs help at the end of the day 

Jadeja effectiveness depends when ball starts to turn as batsman then has no idea which ball wud turn and which wud noy

Now ashwin also needs help, but atleast is a far more skillfull bowler and batsman. Both thing wud be very important when we play 5 batsman + pandya + saha 

overseas, spinners job mostly is to play a defensive role and not let them score runs quickly which Jadeja can do better than Ashwin. Ashwin will neither pick wickets nor be able to contain.

Outside the subcontinent n in general the first choice spinner for me n most good captains feel is a good leggie as they take pitch out of the equation n can bet turn n bounce on any track, if the give it a rip, Ashwin ,Jadeja are proven failures abroad, Kuldeep should be one spinner playing, rest can be Shami, BK, Bumrah, Pandya/ Shankar for me

2 hours ago, rkt.india said:

wickets which have grass don't break, so, spinners dont come in to play even on 4th and 5th day. Wanderers last time was big example.

How many grassy wkts will u get in total number of test matches ull play abroad.

The greater fast bowling attack of Mcgrath, gillespie, lee also needed warne many days.....

If u have to win overseas defensive spinner cannot be an option, go for the wkt taking one which incase is ashwin.........lets atleast start on that note and see how he does. He failed last time well its was his 1st overseas tour and even batsman didnt put much runs on the board. 

Also Foreigns teams have started to realize that giving indian bowlers grass is increasing their effectiveness so we wont be getting much of grassy wkts. M expecting more then some pattas this time overseas and attacking spinner will come in play 

Test matches are all about taking 20 wkts so each bowler shud be wkt taking, we have good fast bowler but none who can run over sides 

Even if i suppose we get a grassy wkt isnt it important to cushion ur batting with ashwin 

On 11/20/2017 at 5:17 PM, Austin 3:!6 said:

Ashwin has regressed a lot as a cricketer. Cant bat anymore, rarely can bend to field and now his bowling looking toothless. Seems like county did more harm to him than good.

Still will play him in SA and if fails then seriously need to look for Kuldeep from Eng series.

IMO Ash is a must for England, last time he was decent (with both bat and ball)+ his county stint. In Aus, Kuldeep needs to be our sole spinner. For SA it gets a bit tricky. 

I would play Kuldeep as my first choice. Ashwin would be next (mostly for his capability to bat in addition to bowling). Jadeja third.

Kuldeep is a spinner more in the traditional mould and I think he has the best chance of success in such conditions.

14 hours ago, Texan said:

I would play Kuldeep as my first choice. Ashwin would be next (mostly for his capability to bat in addition to bowling). Jadeja third.

Kuldeep is a spinner more in the traditional mould and I think he has the best chance of success in such conditions.

Kuldeep is Umesh Yadav at this point, flashes of brilliant but largely inconsistent. He is not a big spinner of the ball right now, so, no use playing an erratic spinner when ball will not spin much.