Speed Test in line with YoYO Test.

If I would have been the Chairman of Selection Committee, I would have SET 138K as the CUT Off Average for fast bowlers and I would have asked the Pacers under Consideration to bowl 2 overs at a stretch with a NEW BALL and calculate AVERAGE Pace , i mean the MEAN/average of all 12 balls and calculate the Pace, if it was greater than 138K , then the pacer can be considered to be selected ( not definitely selected but in line for selection) else rejected as not a fast bowler.

FOr some of you who has not faced a new Seaming red ball, I have opened against red new ball so a bowler bowls 5 to 8 K faster with the new ball on average. i remember a genuine trundling slow medium bowler, i always attacked him and when he bowled a bouncer and it went close to my ears , i could not believe the pace he could generate, even a trundler becomes 8k faster so point i want to make is a bowler who averages 138K with the brand new ball is likely to average 130-132 K with an old Ball which becomes very easy for international batsman and thats why bhuvi Succeeds big time with new ball and later he is mince meat and some times captain dont select him in the test team too.

now a days all international bowlers are bowling 138K average Pace at least in the first SPELL with the new ball, 

See WI, gabriel bowling 150k, even other pacers in windies bowling fast, all australians bowling 140K average Pace with the new ball, even the old english anderson and stuart are also bowling 138k with the new ball..i mean slower than 138k is embarrassing to say the least.

what are your views, should the selectors consider a Speed test as well so that the so called Swing bowlers like gurbani and others realise and increase their speed to international level else as soon as the new ball looses the shine they will look loose their speed drastically.

8 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

what are your views, should the selectors consider a Speed test as well so that the so called Swing bowlers like gurbani and others realise and increase their speed to international level else as soon as the new ball looses the shine they will look loose their speed drastically

M sure he knws he has to increase pace, but doesnt happen overnight . 

10 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

what wud u do if u get bowlers like Mcgrath or pollock 

Appreciate them , promise them selection if they get to bowl faster and get to the average Pace standard of 138K.

if they want to give a try next day , conduct the test again, kinda find all ways so that they can get to meet the standards but 

don't select them if they cant average 138k with the brand new ball over a spell of 12 continuous balls.

i want 12 balls Continuously so that they can reach their full pace( they could practice earlier and be at full pace too). 

it gives them full chance as they know after each and every ball how they are performing, even a medium bowler like gurbani can show that he is not a RAT and stretch himself and try to come close to the target and see if he can bowl faster in the last three balls to reach 138k average.

Sidharth kaul could also get selected as i think he can average 138K with the brand new red cherry.

My experience is that bowlers loose PACE drastically with the Leather ball as soon as it becomes semi new( 5k loose) and Old ball(8 to 10 K loose)...138K average pacer becomes a 125 to 130 k trundler , and some one who is slower becomes a 120K to 125K trundler who looks so bad that captain is forced to bowl the spinners only.

Swing is important but Swing exists for only first 6 to 10 overs even in tests and on green tracks , later one requires PACE.

only in overcast conditions, swing can be more than 6 to 10 overs else never.

Praveen Kumar and BHUVI who have been SWING Guru's have swung in first 10 overs and in later spells only praveen kumar managed swing some times but at slow pace, bhuvi does not get swing in his second spell and thats why he becomes a defensive bowler in his later spells where as in his first SPELL no batsman in the world can face him today.

More so BHuvi has the capability to average 138K with the NEW Ball and pass this test.

2 hours ago, vishalvirsingh said:

Appreciate them , promise them selection if they get to bowl faster and get to the average Pace standard of 138K.

if they want to give a try next day , conduct the test again, kinda find all ways so that they can get to meet the standards but 

don't select them if they cant average 138k with the brand new ball over a spell of 12 continuous balls.

i want 12 balls Continuously so that they can reach their full pace( they could practice earlier and be at full pace too). 

So let me get this right , i dnt think so these guys avg speed were 138k 

So ull select someone like Aaron, tait, tino best or lets say even wahab riaz over mcgrath n pollock 

2 hours ago, vishalvirsingh said:

it gives them full chance as they know after each and every ball how they are performing, even a medium bowler like gurbani can show that he is not a RAT and stretch himself and try to come close to the target and see if he can bowl faster in the last three balls to reach 138k average.

Sidharth kaul could also get selected as i think he can average 138K with the brand new red cherry.

My experience is that bowlers loose PACE drastically with the Leather ball as soon as it becomes semi new( 5k loose) and Old ball(8 to 10 K loose)...138K average pacer becomes a 125 to 130 k trundler , and some one who is slower becomes a 120K to 125K trundler who looks so bad that captain is forced to bowl the spinners only.

Swing is important but Swing exists for only first 6 to 10 overs even in tests and on green tracks , later one requires PACE.

only in overcast conditions, swing can be more than 6 to 10 overs else never.

Thats is why their is another thing called seam bowling 

11 hours ago, vishalvirsingh said:

If I would have been the Chairman of Selection Committee, I would have SET 138K as the CUT Off Average for fast bowlers and I would have asked the Pacers under Consideration to bowl 2 overs at a stretch with a NEW BALL and calculate AVERAGE Pace , i mean the MEAN/average of all 12 balls and calculate the Pace, if it was greater than 138K , then the pacer can be considered to be selected ( not definitely selected but in line for selection) else rejected as not a fast bowler.

138k is too low. You need 90mph bowlers to indimidate opposition.

Unless they can bowl minimum at avg of 145k for 2 overs, they shouldn't be allowed.

Mate it's horses for courses. Someone like philander will bowl to you military medium pace of 125 KMPH and you will find it different ball game altogether to face him, as compared to much famed 138+ KMPH bowlers. 

Edited by Scar
8 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

138k is too low. You need 90mph bowlers to indimidate opposition.

Unless they can bowl minimum at avg of 145k for 2 overs, they shouldn't be allowed.

Hey how many test wickets you got?..hmmmmm I think it's 423

How many you got in last test ?....11...?a six for and a five for 

Well your average speed over two overs just now is 144k....you  are dropped!!!!!!!..... :facepalm:smdh, it gets worse on here 

On 6/17/2018 at 12:30 PM, Scar said:

Mate it's horses for courses. Someone like philander will bowl to you military medium pace of 125 KMPH and you will find it different ball game altogether to face him, as compared to much famed 138+ KMPH bowlers. 

Philander requires swinging conditions and the new ball to get his swing and wickets..yes he has a good line n length but that even sandeep sharma has ...on indian tracks, some of our domestic batsman will manage to hit him.

Philander suceeds on certain tracks and swinging conditions, please understand indian and even many asian tracks do not offer any swing or assistance to seam n swing bowlers.

1 hour ago, vishalvirsingh said:

Philander requires swinging conditions and the new ball to get his swing and wickets..yes he has a good line n length but that even sandeep sharma has ...on indian tracks, some of our domestic batsman will manage to hit him.

Philander suceeds on certain tracks and swinging conditions, please understand indian and even many asian tracks do not offer any swing or assistance to seam n swing bowlers.

Kapil Dev?

Pardon me for sharing my own experience ..i know it looks foolish but I am asking for pardoning me for this.

i open for a COrporate MNC team and ONce we got some POlice lines pacers coming into ball to us on our Nets, 4 pacers - best in the Police team who play matches at elf-vengsarkar ground regularly and the brabourne at churchgate, i was batting, two of them were medium pacers, one a genuine right arm fast bowler, one a left arm fast bowler. right arm fast bowler- i kinda managed to play with great difficulty and concentration. Left arm fast bowler- he clean bowled me twice and he just bowled around 8 balls to me. 

the medium pacers .. i just stopped two balls and all other balls I hit them left , right and centre , i was finding them extra SLOW after these fast bowlers and i was seeing them as if they are throwing footballs at me and not a cricket ball.

Thats the difference a batsman feels..slow pacers dont get the batsman out, it is the batsman some times gives away his wickets to them in order to score more runs becos he is in a defensive frame of mind against the pacers.

At one point of time when i was facing the left arm fast bowler , i was hit once or twice and looked like a Bloddy tailender as i could not read his bowling and he managed a bit of SWING too..what i wanna say these fast bowlers are not just fast bowlers they do get swing too.

slow pacer does not get anything, JUST See the ball where it pitches and hit the BALL, a Strong guy like me can hit them where ever he wishes too...these bowlers are like a GIFT to us, i feel excited when i get to see a slow bowler coming to bowl at me , i just want to score 4's and hate scoring a SINGLE and giving chance to other batsman to enjoy him.  

Same is with a Spinner but some indian CLub Spinners throw the ball and turn it too, some are illegal but are not caught by umpires and we have to play them carefully as they throw only when they see we are going for our shots.

what ever comments i give is from the EYES of an OPENING Batsman...slow mediumpacers are bread and butter for us..we can play whole day long and not get out unless our shot gets into some fielders hands , many times my shots are never caught at gully as the shots are powerful. 

actually i have told the fielder that i will hit in the gully and there have been two gully fielders still shots on medium pacers are so hard that catching them by local club players mean breaking their fingers and they just avoid touching them.

against a fast pacer u end up missing the shot or it goes into Slips or above the slips or some times ball jacks back into stumps.