Have learnt how to bowl overseas, says Mohammed Shami

Switchblade

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/india-vs-england-5th-test-mohammed-shami-5350044/

“If you compare my performances on this tour with those in 2014, I have improved a lot. Overall, all of us have done well. I’ve learnt a lot, especially how to bowl away from home, how focused you need to be,” Shami said.

“I’ve got to learn a lot. In 2014 when I came here, I wasn’t that experienced. I wasn’t mature either. This time, I watched videotapes of James Anderson and Stuart Broad’s bowling. I saw what areas they bowled in, in these conditions. I’ve got to learn a lot,” he added.

“Some things depend on luck too. When you bowl, your target is to bowl a good line and length. Whether you get a wicket or not depends on luck. Of course it is frustrating that I beat the bat many times and still didn’t get a wicket. But it’s okay. Whatever God gives me, I have to accept,” Shami said.

“The saddest time is when as a bowler you work hard and don’t succeed. The saddest time will be the first innings yesterday. I’ve never beaten the bat so many times in my life.

“When it comes to fun, all of our players like to joke around with each other. We have fun all the time. When you’re on the field, you have to be serious. But off the field, to pass the time or ease the pressure, you need fun and music. We have both in our camp.”

“It’s hard when you’re a bowler short, and especially in these conditions when as a fast bowler you have to bowl. The load is greater. But it’s not a big deal. It happens. Sometimes bowlers feel discomfort or in order to prevent injury you go off. It’s fine. The understanding between us bowlers is good,” he said.

3 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

I think we are being a tad harsh on Shami. In any event, the management has always been hard on Umesh. Can you imagine giving chance to Pandya in 4 back to back tests, while removing Yadav from the team? 

Yadav has played 38 tests, enough to judge.  Even though i have been one his biggest supporter since he debuted but only as long anyone could support him and I cant support him at the price of team India.  It is 8 years since his debut and if you cant cement your place, your dont deserve to be in the team.  He was wrongly picked even for SA after his pathetic performance against SL on some of the greenest tracks we have produced in India where Navdeep Saini deserved to be picked after stellar Ranji performances. Pandya at least won us a test out of those 4.

Edited by rkt.india
17 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

I think we are being a tad harsh on Shami. In any event, the management has always been hard on Umesh. Can you imagine giving chance to Pandya in 4 back to back tests, while removing Yadav from the team? 

How is that a tad harsh on our so called premier performer. Even Ashwin and Pandya have better bowling averages than this guy..

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/bowling/most_wickets_career.html?id=12033;type=series

7 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Yadav has played 38 tests, enough to judge.  Even though i have been one his biggest since he debuted but only as long anyone could support him.  It is 8 years since his debut.  if you cant cement your place, your don deserve to be in the team.  He was wrongly picked even for SA after his pathetic performance against SL on some of the greenest tracks we have produced in India where Navdeep Saini deserved to be picked after stellar Rani performances. Pandya at least won us a test out of those 4.

He bowled well I give that to Pandya but in the first innings Rahane and Kohli did well to help India post 331 it does not mean that on the basis of one spell we play Pandya  for 100 test matches the very next game in Southampton he failed.

Overall Hardik was decent on this tour but still he is not convincing at all unreliable.

Edited by Switchblade
6 hours ago, Switchblade said:

He bowled well I give that to Pandya but in the first innings Rahane and Kohli did well to help India post 331 it does not mean that on the basis of one spell we play Pandya  for 100 test matches the very next game in Southampton he failed.

Overall Hardik was decent on this tour but still he is not convincing at all unreliable.

Lolz, leave it. Dont bother replying 

Edited by Rightarmfast

Some of the guys in the team including  Shami giving illogical statements weren't like this in the past. All this fake bravado, machoism, unnecessary excitement even after having the worst average of 38.88 among all the bowlers involved in the series is cringeworthy. 

Him losing his rhythm & bowling short offside lengths, straying down the pads leaked a lot of runs.

Edited by Turning_track
19 hours ago, Switchblade said:

And Umesh and Shami are reliable? Shami is averaging 38 with the ball and zilch with the bat in a series where most fast bowlers have averaged in 20s and that too at a very high ER. Right now Pandya averages 31 with the bat and 31 with the ball that too when most of his tests were overseas.  Once he plays in India, his batting skills and batting average will only go up.  He for me is a batting alrrounder and should make #6 position his own in the next two years.  If he fails to do that after 30 odd tests, drop him.  He has done better than many alrounders after 11 tests.  You dont get ready-made alrounders.