What's not very traditional about you?

Stradlater

57 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

I make masal upma with all sorts of garam masala, spices, we called it kharabhaath. Add kesaribaarh (rava halwa for north indians) and the combo is called chow-chow baath. Gujarat is the last place you should try south Indian food. Mumabi is ok if you go to some Udipi restaurant. US has many Dosa Express, Saravana Bhavan , Andhra restaurants that are nearly authentic as the ones in India.

dude do you get hallasina kai in US ? farking i cant miss it more. i had once this time in Chennai..i managed to get a nice one in Mysore when i went there.

this is my absolute favorite

7 hours ago, FischerTal said:

is the taste similar to saag paneer as far as the curry goes?

Saag paneer is spinach cooked with very little flour...usually besan with paneer added to it.

Sarson da saag is usually made by using around 3 greens....sarson( mustard leaves) ,spinach and bathua with some corn flour added to it. 

Edited by beetle

17 hours ago, beetle said:

Their parents suffered even more. 

We will 'suffer ' more compared to our children.It is a cycle of progress.

If you choose to have children, the raising of these children is your duty and not a sacrifice to be payed back by  children  through complete obedience and taking over their life decisions.

One of the 'elder' in my family had eight children,most of them educated and married off by his eldest son who lived his life like bonded slave because he was raised to believe it was his dharma to help raise his siblings (fathers children).

This poor guy has a wife and two sons who hate him because he never had the time,love or money for them.

The old man still gave sermons about sacrifice.

Damnnnn.  I have seen this in my extended family.

Cultures do seem to cut across geography/languages and religions. I must say this is a truly Indian phenomenon only.

Edited by Stan AF

15 hours ago, Vilander said:

in south you will see some random Pillaiyar or Ganesha or mariamma temple , first it will start as a stone beneath a pipal tree and then the fence around the tree will get painted red and white,  then a nandhi or spade in front with kumkum, then a small temple around it - in time half the freaking road will be blocked and there will be habitual traffic issues in the stretch. 

vivek comedy in kadhal sadugudu. lol

7 hours ago, beetle said:

Saag paneer is spinach cooked with very little flour...usually besan with paneer added to it.

Sarson da saag is usually made by using around 3 greens....sarson( mustard leaves) ,spinach and bathua with some corn flour added to it. 

hmmm I really should try new food. I'm just stuck on subway+ Taco Bell+ Panda Express :sad:

Edited by FischerTal

On topic:

I can't cook much. And the rare instances when I do, finding volunteers to taste what I've cooked is nigh impossible. 

I call my maternal grandparents by their names. I don't know how I picked up this habit, but I've been doing it since childhood and the practice has stuck on ever since.

Edited by Mariyam

30 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

How do you make dosa without shallow frying/roasting it in oil?

Do you use ghee? That's even worse.

You need one small spoon of oil per Dosa, but equivalen calorie content of Punjabi or Mughlai khana has tons of oil, no comparison. BTW, ghee is not as bad , anything in moderation is not bad

https://www.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/2017/06/ghee-is-it-healthy

Edited by coffee_rules

58 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

How do you make dosa without shallow frying/roasting it in oil?

Do you use ghee? That's even worse.

I make first one or two dosas in more oil( ghee,butter) ...followed by 3-4  dosas without oil. They are crisp and taste almost as good as first two.

The little one eats the first two....hubby the next two and I eat the last two almost oil less ones.:roti:sab khush !!