Is coaching an IPL team more lucrative than a national side?

Switchblade

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/ipl/top-stories/is-coaching-an-ipl-team-more-lucrative-than-a-national-side/articleshow/64357593.cms

NEW DELHI: Being a part of the support staff of an IPL team seems to be more lucrative than coaching the national team for established former Indian cricketers. A look at the salaries of the coaches of the IPL teams this year makes one wonder about it and raises the question.

Almost two years ago, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) had shelved its plans of hiring former pace spearhead Zaheer Khan as Team India's fast-bowling coach because his asking price for 100-day service in a year was Rs 4 crore. The Board had considered that to be too expensive. In contrast Zaheer's former teammate Ashish Nehra, who is the bowling coach of the Royal Challengers Bangalore, draws a similar amount from the IPL franchisee. 

• Sources said that Nehra is not only the second most expensive coach with an annual package of Rs 4 crore in the IPL set-up, but he is also making more than the support staff of the Indian team. However, India's head coach Ravi Shastri remains the highest paid cricket coach in the world and is making over Rs 7 crore while his support staff make close to Rs 2 crore per annum.

It is also revealed that New Zealand's former left-arm spinner and RCB's head coach Daniel Vettori is the highest paid coach in the 2018 IPL season while Delhi Dardevils' Ricky Ponting made around Rs 3.7 crore for this year's services. Surprisingly, former India coach Gary Kirsten, who was the batting consultant with the RCB this season, made only Rs 1.5 crore. A similar amount is paid to Mumbai Indians' Lasith Malinga, who was their bowling mentor.

Sources said that the fourth highest paid coach in IPL is Chennai Super Kings' Stephen Fleming at Rs 3.2 crore and is followed by Kings XI Punjab's Virender Sehwag, whose salary is pegged around Rs 3 crore. Even Rajasthan Royals are shelling around Rs 2.7 for Shane Warne. The third best team in this year's IPL - the Kolkata Knight Riders - is paying Rs 2.5 crore to Jacques Kallis. Last year's champion team Mumbai Indians' coach Mahela Jayawardene is making around Rs 2.25 crore while the likes of Tom Moody and VVS Laxman are making around Rs 2 crore each.

52 minutes ago, gambhirfan said:

It is also revealed that New Zealand's former left-arm spinner and RCB's head coach Daniel Vettori is the highest paid coach in the 2018 IPL season

Vettori is one of the shittiest T20 coaches around. I read somewhere none of the T20 teams he coaches across different tournaments have done well.

He is pretty poor at the auctions and hardly innovative with playing XI or game strategies.

4 minutes ago, philcric said:

Vettori is one of the shittiest T20 coaches around. I read somewhere none of the T20 teams he coaches across different tournaments have done well.

He is pretty poor at the auctions and hardly innovative with playing XI or game strategies.

He was a flop in BBL and he was hired as a coach in BPL as well 

Edited by gambhirfan

Winloss ratio for vettori - 45% over ten seasons with multiple teams... 

17 hours ago, philcric said:

Consider, for instance, Daniel Vettori. 
Already with three of the best T20 coaching roles - as head coach of Brisbane Heat, Royal Challengers Bangalore and Middlesex - 
he recently acquired a fourth job, with Rajshahi Kings in the Bangladesh Premier League. With his studious air, youth, and excellent 
playing pedigree in the format, Vettori certainly fits the image of what a new-age T20 coach should look like. 
The results suggest otherwise. At each of Brisbane, Bangalore and Middlesex, Vettori has a win ratio of under 45%, according to Dan Weston of
Sports Analytics Advantage - a strikingly poor performance considering the significant financial resources of all the teams, and since he has coached 
for a total of ten T20 seasons, one that can't easily be blamed on a small sample size.Weston had to work out Vettori's results manually: remarkably,
in a game overflowing with statistics, there is no resource that collates s

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1144129/will-coaches-be-replaced-by-general-managers-soon

Edited by diga

15 hours ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

IDK Why we are still dependent on Foreigner "coaches".
It is better to hire talented Indian Coaches for the franchise than these idiot firangs.

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

My laywoman guess is that idiotic firangs would be more photo genic / click baity than idiotic Indians.

And the IPL is show biz.

Edited by Mariyam

48 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Lobbying is a democratic right. :phehe:

I've been following your posts on the IPL for some time now. I haven't heard you say a SINGLE positive thing on the tournament.

:mad2:

I saw the 2nd qualifier and the camera man zoomed in on a spectator with a really cool striped T-shirt, wish I could lay my hands on a similar piece. There I said it.

Edited by Gollum