Sonu Nigam twitter controversy on Azaan from loudspeakers

Texy

1 hour ago, Cricketics said:

I feel the way Sonu Nigam put his statement, it made him sound bigot but he isn't actually one. Don't think it were wise comments anyway from him.

I do know that in Bollywood you work with people of different faiths so doubt Sonu is a bigot or wanted to hurt a particular group, though him choosing twitter to share his views was pretty silly and he shouldn't have mentioned "Azaan" anwyay in tweet. Should have stuck with sharing his views about banning loud speakers instead of adding a religion into this.

Agreed. His choice of words could have been better. I think largely people agree with his sentiments, but not his choice of words. He was probably frustrated woken up early and just vented his anger on Twitter. 

I remember during my 2 year stay in Kerala, there was a mosque behind my apartment building. The only good thing about the loud blaring of azaan was that it would wake me up for my morning run at 5 am which my phone alarm couldn't do. Isi bahaane I could stay fit despite working a sedentary job.

Agreed. His choice of words could have been better. I think largely people agree with his sentiments, but not his choice of words. He was probably frustrated woken up early and just vented his anger on Twitter. 

Why cry about it now? Azan/speakers have been happening for yrs.

Attention seeker maybe?

20 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

No, you guys are all arabized to certain extent because Koran isn't translated for recital. Creeps in your language. 

I do not understand your point here. Why should the Holy Koran be translated for recital? For example, a priest wouldn't recite shlokas in Marathi/Gujarati/Bhojpuri etc. Only in Sanskrit.

Languages evolve. Words are incorporated into languages over time. Be them religious phrases, geographic/weather related phenomena, food names or even economics terms.

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

I do not understand your point here. Why should the Holy Koran be translated for recital? For example, a priest wouldn't recite shlokas in Marathi/Gujarati/Bhojpuri etc. Only in Sanskrit.

Languages evolve. Words are incorporated into languages over time. Be them religious phrases, geographic/weather related phenomena, food names or even economics terms.

There is no diktat from any hindu text that it must be read in Sanskrit. Hindu prayers in Bali for e.g., are not read in Sanskrit, they are read in Balinese. They are read in Sanskrit in India only because Sanskrit is the ancestor to most Indian languages/have influenced Indian languages like Tamil deeply and is a natural progression. Even then, reciting prayers one can notice the slightly different accented slokas in Bengali or Hindi. (They are only slightly different, because old Bengali and shuddh hindi still retain 30-50% Sanskrit vocabulary. But you can hear the 'Hindi-ization of sanskrit, where the 'sh' sound gets shortened to 's' sound). 

Arabic on the other hand, is a parasitic language, artificially imposing itself on other languages through strict diktat that the koran cannot be translated. 

Ironically, the very fact that the Koran is composed in arabic and resistant to translation, is a clear proof of why the Koran cannot be a perfect book.

i have no problems with languages evolving or incorporating words from other languages. I have no problems with 'Hinglish or Benglish' for example. But those were done out of choice. Nobody forced its way through. Arabic forces its way through by insisting on being the only language medium for the Koran.

Edited by Muloghonto

26 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Ironically, the very fact that the Koran is composed in arabic and resistant to translation, is a clear proof of why the Koran cannot be a perfect book.

Well, that's not the only reason :giggle:

2 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Have you been to South Indian temples? There is no restriction to recite shlokas in any other language. There are a lot of shlokas in Tamil that Iyengari priests recite in temples.  Even in Karnataka, some rituals have old kannada recited in temples. Even in some churches sermons are given in Tamil/Kannada. Only in Mosques, Azaan or any other ritual is always in Arabic, Koran has to be recited in Arabic.

The famous arati bhajan ..Om Jai Jagadeesh hare is recited in temples..is not in Sanskrit.

Edited by coffee_rules

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

Utterly disgusting

Edited by Texy

I think Sonu Nigam was trying to convey a social message, not a religious one. We need to ban ALL loudspeakers between 10 p.m and 6 a.m, even SC passed an order to the same effect. However the tone of his tweets was a tad harsh towards Muslims, could have been avoided. I live next to a temple and can attest to the fact that they are no less in disturbing your sleep. Most of the places of worship in our country blatantly float rules and regulations, not very surprising because we Indians are masters at breaking rules. 

However all things said and done, the reaction from Muslims to this have been terrifying. From so many threats on social media to fatwas flying around left, right and center....doesn't paint Islam well. Even Muslims from other South Asian countries, S.E Asian countries, West Asia, Europe and America have joined in to issue threats to Sonu. This is a local issue pertaining to India , dunno why Muslims from all across the world are so eager to point their noses in our affairs. Expect to hear about more such stabbing incidents, even Sonu's life is in danger forever. Won't be surprised if Sonu meets the same fate as Theo van Gogh one fine day....there will be a few jihaadis who will have a lifelong ambition of killing Sonu and attaining jannat even if most normal Muslims forget this saga in the coming days. Unfortunately Sonu will never have the protection like our VIPs and will forever have to watch over his back. 

Even if Sonu insults Hinduism/Sikhism/Christianity/Buddhism tomorrow he will at max have to worry about getting slapped/his face inked/flying slippers thrown at him etc. But here even after not insulting Islam(just pointing out to an inconvenient truth in strong language) he faces the threat of being beheaded throughout his remaining days in this planet. Islam is prone to ruthless violence and is most definitely not a religion of peace, the sooner Earthlings realize this fact, better for all of us. Islam needs a big scale reformation, the medieval discourse doesn't fit well with the 21st century. All other major religions had texts equally violent when they were conceived but over time they have undergone reformations to temper the barbaric/intolerant practices that simply don't make sense with evolving ages. 

The day someone touches Sonu, mass majority of community will strongly stand behind him and seculars/psec/liberals/{and you know who} all will lose everything they have. It will be a big loss politically for all secular parties. It will massively polarize people against 1 religion and all the groups (political/social) who constantly indulge in appeasing that religion for sure will lose huge grounds to RW ideology. It will set a bad precedent in the country. 

I honestly feel very bad for Sonu. If anything happens to him, I will forever stop supporting all the liberals of this religion. The whole award wapsi gang is quiet.

Edited by dial_100

On 19/04/2017 at 6:58 PM, beetle said:

Just ban the use of loud speakers in public...specially for religious purposes.

Azaan,mataji ke jagraate ....everything

And please ban their use in shaddi processions to....infact ban the boody shaadi processions on public roads.

Jahan dekho tamsha.

What about Diwali, Garba, Dahihandi, Holi, Independence day, Gandhi Jayanti, Ambedkar Jayanti, Shiv Jayanti etc.The list is quite long before you say those are just special days. People just put loudspeakers with repetitive songs at such high decibels that you start hating even if you actually like those songs during the mentioned days. 

Edited by Pollack