Tendulkar convinces shastri to apply

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

I have no issues with Shastri taking over again as a 'caretaker' for the short-term.  But don't want him there beyond 2017.   

This team needs a change in tactical thinking and planning.  And the change has to be in place at least a year ahead of the world cup, so that the team gets opportunities to get proficient at executing the updated approach.   

We are preparing to fail for the WC by failing to prepare.  

To shastri's credit atleast he has been a good man manager

But this team needs a lot more then that , Kumble came with a vision.......may have failed on man- management front ( if thing wudnt have fallen this badly between him n player i was up for him being a team director like Strauss)

Shastri is someone who ll live in present n doesnt look like a man with far long vision, which is a must as we are at crucial point that we have the talent to be world best but our thinking has only been a hurdle. 

I dnt even expect a firangi to come with a long term plan but atleast will come up for a plan till 2019 . 

Yes with Virat at helm this team needs somebody with planning .....i really wished we cud get mahela n moody as they have gelled well together n mahela was really good with his planning which was also evident with MI.  Now that mahela has declined well......i dnt see that area being fulfilled 

Actually, we are planning to avoid defeat rather aiming for victory.

11 minutes ago, maniac said:

Trivia -How many Mumbaikars played for India during Sachin's God like years...which give or take started from 96? This was the phase when Sachin could have asked for a private jet from one Mumbai suburb to another and BCCI would have obliged

Exactly.  The only time you can accuse Tendy of Bombay bias, is when he got Kambli back into the ODI Squad - and that too arguably was deserving.  Kambli had his short-ball issues, but he could have played a Raina type role at #5 or so for that late 90s Indian ODI team.  Unfortunately he ripped his ankle up at a bad time for him, and never made it back.   

But there were plenty of Bombay players who were knocking on that door, and didn't make it into the Indian team during the Tendy era.  Some of them really good.  I truly believe Pravin Amre was a loss to Indian cricket - guy was top shelf quality.  Its no surprise that he's the best batting coach in the business.   

11 minutes ago, Vilander said:

irrelevant and proves nothing about this current event where Sachin appears to be biased wanting to select Sashtri. A better argument would be Sachin listened to Kohli and the players and is backing Sashtri since he has the players backing and nailing COA, i'd be happy with that.

So because you can't find any evidence to back up your baseless "SachinKar" accusation, the question becomes irrelevant?  Convenient.

3 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

That probably is the case along with the fact that Tendulkar gets on well with Shastri. From many of Kohli's utterances it seems that he closest to Sachin among the former players. The weird thing is that of the many interviews I have read, Sachin is also very fond of Kumble. So whatever we hear in the media from the sauces, are probably just a fraction of the whole story.

i sincerely hope so, just that Sashtri ( politicking grabber of greater share than contribution) as a character does not sit well with someone like Sachin ( skill focused and deserving), again Sachin has some questionable judgement here, or may be Coach job is really not about Ideas but just man management and a degree of PR, which obviously Sashtri with his politicking is good at.

2 minutes ago, sandeep said:

So because you can't find any evidence to back up your baseless "SachinKar" accusation, the question becomes irrelevant?  Convenient.

what ever dude Sachin appears biased because he selected Sashtri ( his friend and fellow mumbaikar) this is current event. Do not bring in irrelevant arbitrary past events with out any locus standi.

1 minute ago, Vilander said:

what ever dude Sachin appears biased because he selected Sashtri ( his friend and fellow mumbaikar) this is current event. Do not bring in irrelevant arbitrary past events with out any locus standi.

Sure he appears biased.  But you attributed his bias to Bombay.  You could have said he appears biased to his friend, or to player preferences.  But you are the one who chose Bombay.  That brings into the discussion his track record and history when he had even more leverage and opportunity to exercise such a Bombay Bias, if it existed.    Froggy nailed you fair and square.   Better to man up and accept it bwoy, instead of arguing needlessly.

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

Sure he appears biased.  But you attributed his bias to Bombay.  You could have said he appears biased to his friend, or to player preferences.  But you are the one who chose Bombay.  That brings into the discussion his track record and history when he had even more leverage and opportunity to exercise such a Bombay Bias, if it existed.    Froggy nailed you fair and square.   Better to man up and accept it bwoy, instead of arguing needlessly.

nope it does not, whether or not he is biased now can not be proven with his past record, its the present that matters. and do not try to get to insults, as they do not work with me. You are one arguing here, not me. Sachin appears biased because he is wanting to select Sashtri a fellow mumbaikar, unfortunately this will only grow if he selects him as well without ever coming out with his reasons. I just disagree with you, move on.

15 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

To shastri's credit atleast he has been a good man manager

But this team needs a lot more then that , Kumble came with a vision.......may have failed on man- management front ( if thing wudnt have fallen this badly between him n player i was up for him being a team director like Strauss)

Shastri is someone who ll live in present n doesnt look like a man with far long vision, which is a must as we are at crucial point that we have the talent to be world best but our thinking has only been a hurdle. 

I dnt even expect a firangi to come with a long term plan but atleast will come up for a plan till 2019 . 

Yes with Virat at helm this team needs somebody with planning .....i really wished we cud get mahela n moody as they have gelled well together n mahela was really good with his planning which was also evident with MI.  Now that mahela has declined well......i dnt see that area being fulfilled 

Actually, we are planning to avoid defeat rather aiming for victory.

In spite of the big money and career prestige, right now the Indian coach position is radio-active.  The genuine best coaches in the world aren't really going to want to take a job when its clear that you will have to kow-tow to the Skipper.  

Anyways on topic...things will be fine on auto pilot with shastribot till Kohli continues his purple patch...once he hits a bad patch like say  England series 2014 types,that will set the cat among the pigeons....having an insecure person with total control and a coach who is just a cheerleader will be a recipe for disaster. That is why it is so important to have a good coach...may be somewhere between an Anil Kumble and Duncan Fletcher and no Shastri is not the median here.

Edited by maniac

It's not necessarily wrong for people to want to hire people with whom they've worked in the past. The experience of having worked closely with a person in the professional domain gives you more insight about a candidate than a face to face interview. 

Similarly, selecting someone from your town/state/region doesn't automatically mean you are biased. Perhaps the best candidate is your son.

In this case, however, I don't see why Tendulkar and Kohli are such fans of Shastri. Perhaps because he stays out of the way, and is busy doing his own thing.  

2 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Yup m shocked to see not many in world applying for it

Well for starters they know Kohli wanted Sashtri, so many might have felt it this can happen to Kumble then whats the point in applying for a Job for which there is a selected internal candidate. This happens many times, in several work settings. Someone is backing up say a Director/VP from a managerial position, the position internally opens up eventually but no one applies as they see the someone already ahead of the curve, this happens so much so that often the said opened up job wont be filled in if sufficient candidates are not available to choose from  or is sourced entirely externally(even this happened with coach selection lol), common occurrence.

3 minutes ago, kosingh said:

It's not necessarily wrong for people to want to hire people with whom they've worked in the past. The experience of having worked closely with a person in the professional domain gives you more insight about a candidate than a face to face interview. 

Similarly, selecting someone from your town/state/region doesn't automatically mean you are biased. Perhaps the best candidate is your son.

In this case, however, I don't see why Tendulkar and Kohli are such fans of Shastri. Perhaps because he stays out of the way, and is busy doing his own thing.  

if sashtri was indeed the best candidate with relevant experience and demonstrated ability then the question would not have risen. 

12 minutes ago, kosingh said:

I dont think Tendulkar is being intentionally biased , he must be thinking its for the larger good if Shastri becomes the coach .

Virat's priority looks like is people in his social circles . Tattoos , beard , good looks and being camera friendly is more important than cricketing skills . 

5 minutes ago, mishra said:

Job is not to judge applications only.

That certainly is , I am sure a selection committee in any organization does not get involved in advocating certain applicants to apply.  This i why BCCI has a public release to let people know that they are accepting applications 

Edited by bleaf27