Karnataka appoints panel to design ‘state flag’, look into legal sanctity

BeautifulGame

@The Outsider

I agree with the gist of your post. However, when your example of forcing Hindi in Maithili speaking regions of Bihar isn't apt. Most Maithili speakers always spoke some kind of Hindi/Urdu/Hindustani as a second language. Moreover, Maithili and Hindi are mutually intelligible languages. To a Maithili speaker, it wouldn't seem that much of an imposition.

Kannada and Hindi are however, not mutually intelligible and people would hence object to Hindi a lot more than they did in Bihar.

I find this debate ridiculous. The state of Karnataka has Konkani and Tulu in addition to Kannada as local languages. No one wants to mention that. Possibly more people in Karnataka speak these languages than Hindi. If signs are going to be put up in Hindi, there should be signs in Konkani and Tulu (not sure if they have  a script) too.

It looks like the Lizard is spreading misinformation again. The national language project isn't something started by BJP. The BJP simply adopted the position of Sardar Patel/Sarvarkar on Hindi being the national language. They didn't invent the whole process. 

The national language project was started by the Indian National Congress at the time of Independence itself.

Gandhi on national language

gandhi nehru urdu2

Nehru, Azad, and Netaji's positions on national language. 

Screenshot_1.png 

Different positions on national language by people of the independence era by Gandhi, Nehru, Patel, Netaji, Maulana Azad, Sarvarkar, and Ambedkar. 

Lying Lizard :phehe:

Also lol at Idea of India chutiyapa. So some of these people wanting to force English on non-English speakers is Idea of India kosher(English imposition), but the other way around is Hindi Imposition and not acceptable under Idea of India.  :rofl: 

Languages are dying in India regardless of if there is "Hindi imposition" via signboards.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/karnataka/10-languages-in-karnataka-endangered/article4978614.ece

10 languages in Karnataka endangered

Of the 50 languages that are spoken in Karnataka, eight are potentially endangered and two critical endangered, according to a survey conducted by the Peoples’ Linguistic Survey of India (PLSI), an organisation that is conducting a nation-wide survey of Indian languages.

Languages become endangered because people stop using them. They are either not taught by their parents or not taught in school. Unless you want to say that there is Kannada imposition that is killing the other languages in Karnataka.  :bumsmack:

Not supporting a single national language is cool, I can agree with that,  but what is this idiocy of protesting over sign-boards having a language that you don't understand on it? Most Gujaratis, particularly rural types,  don't understand either Hindi or English, let alone are able to read the scripts, so should they suddenly protest over all the sign boards in Gujarat with those languages on it, say everyone who doesn't know Gujarati should leave Gujarat, and say you must learn Gujarati if you want to come here. Will that be Idea of India Kosher? :facepalm:

Bloody hell, your language is strong enough to not be threatened by a dumb signboard. 

Edited by Tibarn

22 hours ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Making of another kashmir?Separate flag?Next separate constitution.Then throw out non kannadigas.Then separate country.

Congress is going down a very dangerous path.Shame on them.

is there anything in the constitution which prevents the states from having its own flag? I dont know why they want a new flag though,just make the old one the offical one.

7. What is wrong in having Hindi on the Bangalore Metro display boards?

This discussion has a socio-political context. The display boards used in the Bangalore Metro only served as a trigger. The bigger question should be about the preferential treatment of Hindi over other languages. The status of Hindi in comparison with Kannada should be clearly discussed. Kannada has completely disappeared from banks, railway, milestones on highways, LIC and even from cooking gas cylinders. There are those who are pushing to get a union territory status to Bangalore. Companies like Flipkart that are based in Bangalore communicate only in English and Hindi with their customers. Bus conductors, auto-rickshaw drivers, cab drivers and shopkeepers who cannot speak Hindi are treated like barbarians by many. A cab company has made it mandatory for its drivers to know Hindi. One of the governors has propagated Hindi saying it is our duty to learn the language. Just yesterday a bunch of people protested in a shopping mall because a girl there did not/could not respond to them in Hindi. UPSC exams are available in Hindi and none of the other Indian languages. There is an endless list of such problems. It has also become common to see posts on Facebook which call for ‘banning this local language’ 

14 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

The idea of India in Karnataka/Andhra/Telengana is as much as in any North Indian state, Don't confuse that with Hindi. Hindi is seen as an imposition. Actually nowadays Punjabi is more popular in India because of Bollywood culture. I went to a Tambi wedding in Chennai which had a Sangeet ceremony with all punjabi songs. Can't imagine a south Indian wedding with that culture. But there is a Punjabi culture takeover which is not imposition. Tomorrow we can't have signboards in Punjabi all throughout India just because it is popular. 

what's tambi?

punjabi music ftw :hail: it's actually quite popular esp. in weddings

19 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

7. What is wrong in having Hindi on the Bangalore Metro display boards?

This discussion has a socio-political context. The display boards used in the Bangalore Metro only served as a trigger. The bigger question should be about the preferential treatment of Hindi over other languages. The status of Hindi in comparison with Kannada should be clearly discussed. Kannada has completely disappeared from banks, railway, milestones on highways, LIC and even from cooking gas cylinders. There are those who are pushing to get a union territory status to Bangalore. Companies like Flipkart that are based in Bangalore communicate only in English and Hindi with their customers. Bus conductors, auto-rickshaw drivers, cab drivers and shopkeepers who cannot speak Hindi are treated like barbarians by many. A cab company has made it mandatory for its drivers to know Hindi. One of the governors has propagated Hindi saying it is our duty to learn the language. Just yesterday a bunch of people protested in a shopping mall because a girl there did not/could not respond to them in Hindi. UPSC exams are available in Hindi and none of the other Indian languages. There is an endless list of such problems. It has also become common to see posts on Facebook which call for ‘banning this local language’ 

This is truly a *ed up situation. I can see this move by BJP is going to come back and bite them in the ass in the upcoming State elections. In my circle there's already a lot of debate going on on this topic and think, congress is in for another five years rule. 

15 hours ago, surajmal said:

lol. ban hindi? half the IT industry will move out next day. Its okay. Gurgaon/Noida are waiting with bated breath. 

How many here prefer Gurgaon / Noida over Bangalore? I hope this movement happens. Bangalore needs some space. Personally I would never work in a place like Gurgaon or Noida. Bangalore and Pune are heaven compared to these places.

7 hours ago, Tibarn said:

It looks like the Lizard is spreading misinformation again. The national language project isn't something started by BJP. The BJP simply adopted the position of Sardar Patel/Sarvarkar on Hindi being the national language. They didn't invent the whole process. 

The national language project was started by the Indian National Congress at the time of Independence itself.

Gandhi on national language

gandhi nehru urdu2

Nehru, Azad, and Netaji's positions on national language. 

Screenshot_1.png 

Different positions on national language by people of the independence era by Gandhi, Nehru, Patel, Netaji, Maulana Azad, Sarvarkar, and Ambedkar. 

Lying Lizard :phehe:

Also lol at Idea of India chutiyapa. So some of these people wanting to force English on non-English speakers is Idea of India kosher(English imposition), but the other way around is Hindi Imposition and not acceptable under Idea of India. 

1.Congress did try to force Hindi when drawing the constitution.But we south resisted and and a solution was found to use either  English or Hindi as official language for 15 years and then to take stock later.

2.And when the 15 year period came ,GOI under Shastri did try to force Hindi .Which triggered massive protests in TN and Congress gave up that policy.

Since then I haven't seen them backtracking on the issue.Difference is for whatever reason BJP is igniting it again.

3.And no one has advocated for English imposition either.

What is being said is if one wants to communicate with people down south either learn English or learn the local language (which is probably much harder).

If we wanna communicate with North India then we will learn Hindi or whatever language or options available.

Basically it should be based on own will and necessasity whichever language one is learning .Not by imposition.

Agree that local language and culture can be cannibalized by majority, but not religion/faith (argument for majoritarianism). Hindus were not going to ask muslims to convert in India, they are just asking to follow one common law. Opposition to TTT/polygamy is also seen as  communal, even feminazis are complying that it is a personal law that we have to respect minorities!  

Regarding the current topic, it is used by Siddu to basically win elections in 2018. He has seen that BJP is confused about Hindi being national language promoted by national leaders and RSS, while BJP in Karnataka will be conflicted to support local agitation or support RSS.  Both Metro and now flag issue is started by Cong/Siddu to rake up emotions for elections. A very good political game which might tilt in favor of Siddu unless BJP handles it better to show corruption and Cong mis-rule. Siddu is fearing that he will lose in 2018, not only to BJP, but to others in Congress over CM post.

This still doesn't deny that fact that the underlying emotion behind the agitation is fake. It has built up over the years and it was bound to erupt, too much softness from kannadigas over the years by the attitude of these immigrants who push over soft people. That's why we read such news about NIs getting beaten in buses/autos as the locals are getting frustrated over this f*ed up issue.

8 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

you think water sharing is trivial? Its goes to how people have no idea about the cauvery row unless they live in Karnataka and see the plight of the farmers.

Thanks for the sanctimonious rebuke. 

My point still stands. There is no grand Dravidian identity. Just like there is no Grand Northie conspiracy to take over Southie culture. Because there is no Grand Northie identity or unity. 

If you people still keep falling for the same old politic ploy whose basis lies in a disproven European racist theory, It says something about your intelligence and pathology not "Imperial" designs of Northies. 

Edited by surajmal

19 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

That's why I say, you learn my language, I will learn yours and we can both speak. Why should I be the one learning your language alone and accept your zamindari attitude. So, the choice for us is to accept eith colonial masters or hindi fat zamindars! If you show that attitude to your fellow Indians, I would rather choose colonial masters (as you put it) and learn English.

As a third language, I'm sure no one will have a problem. Problem lies with Southern govts. Why havent they done anything with regards to spreading their languages? 

20 hours ago, Lannister said:

This is only the beginning. I can see, in 5 to 6 years, the complete disbandment of Hindi from our State's education system. I wish you guys keep on behaving like this so that we speed up the process. 

Moronic idea, on par with chopping your nose to spite your face.

I am not pro-Hindi institutionalization all over India. But getting rid of Hindi in education is only going to harm the future students by preventing easy access learning to the most prevalent language in India. 

When i went to school, every school had 3 languages. English mediums had English as 1st and then a second language (usually mother tongue) and a third language (usually Hindi, if Hindi is not mother tongue). 

we also had plenty of students in my days who took Hindi as second language, despite it not being our mother tongue. Me (a bong) and my tamil buddy from high school had to explain to our friends for years on end, that we are coming out ahead of them by doing the switch : We are just as fluent as the in our mother tongue, due to speaking it at home, but we ended up way, way more competent in Hindi than they did taking 

it as 3rd language.

49 minutes ago, surajmal said:

Southies love English so much... Then why do all the accomplished Indian english writers belong to rest of the country? Hell I'm pretty sure even BIMARU states are better in this aspect (forget MH,Dilli and Bongland). 

RK Narayan, Arvind Adiga to name a few. Not all how learn english go on to become writers. But the debate is about language of communication for daily use.

The max number of Gnanapith Awards is for Kannada after Hindi. It is not a well known fact. 

Edited by coffee_rules

19 hours ago, surajmal said:

Why is it hard for southies to understand that English can't be the link language of India? 

because English is a very close second in terms of 'non mother tongue language in India' and there is no other language even remotely close to English, except for Hindi, for this status. Hence English is a legitimate candidate for link language, especially since it does not come with regional politics baggage.