Better captain: Ganguly or Dhoni?

Better captain (All formats)  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better India captain: Ganguly or Dhoni?

MSD was Mike Brearley's second coming. Look at the criticisms below, would a good captain ever have these accusations labelled against him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeHxFhD4Z5w

Dhoni's blunders: 1:00

"leg slip placed when batsmen struggle outside the off stump 

bowling spinners when conditions helped seamers 

picking a bowler when conditions begged for a batsmen

MSD seemed to be all lost in England 

bottom line is, its now time for Dhoni to walk"

"at times it is just inexplicable what the skipper is thinking" 2:40

2:47 "I was a bitt baffled by some of his decisions, especially standing back to Jadeja at Lords, I just couldn't believe it, am I seeing things here, I had to rub my eyes in disbelief" Farokh Engineer 

3:20 "or has he become too powerful to control his own destiny"

4:11 "I said in 2011...that was the time for Dhoni to go" Ganguly

5:23 "the overseas performance has been appalling" Ganguly

5:50 "its reaching a level where this team is outright embarrassing to watch"

7:50 "I don't think the Indian captain helped with his strategies" Ganguly

18:00 "we've been appalling last 4 years in test cricket"

Edited by mancalledsting
6 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

Constructive criticism is always welcome.. I never said everyone are against him. We got very few neurals left after regular gang attacks by usual mob.. They dont even post much..Those names I mentioned defo are..Maybe 1 or 2 questionable. 

a lot of cricketers/analysts agree with many of my sentiments, as I will continue to prove in upcoming posts on MSD's captaincy 

Edited by mancalledsting
6 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Lol I was just responding to your ironic post when you tell others to stop posting with agenda when you yourself have been found doing chamchagiri above and and beyond. 

You talking about chamchagiri is like laaloo prasad talking about how saaf he is.. You got called out by many users for posting agenda driven posts.. That fact you are mod makes many people sick. :phew: Fact that you Target Ankit these days.. says alot. You pretty much lived your whole life targeting people here. 

3 minutes ago, raki05 said:

May be in early days it dint expose due to better test players being in the team. But once they started fading his captaincy in test got a jolt.

Post world up win in 2011 he was a weak captain in both test and ODI's. Dhoni was excellent leader in first four years. compmared to next 3-4 years after the world cup win.

Only positive thing in his post 2011 world cup captaincy was that he did not let the 0-8 result affect the team and handled it pretty well in that hopeless period of Indian Cricket. But it was high time for us to get a new test captain.

No one mentioned, how Indian team under Ganguly suddenly developed a mental block in finals. Indian  team which used to win some finals with inferior set of players in 1990s was suddenly struggling to win any. No one can say that team didn't have capability, as sometimes they used to best team only to lose the last game

The way ODI team regressed suddenly was alaraming and was probably overshowed by overhyping shirt waving victory at Lords. We lost 4-3 to WI in 2002 at home and then 5-2 in NZ. Batting was down on confidence and SRT saved us in World cup.

In this regards Dhoni is way better than any other Indian captain. 

Although Ganguly took over during bas phase, he got best set of players. Dravid hit his peak in 2002 and continued same form till 2006. He was like Smith during this phase scoring truckloads of runs. SRT wasn't at peak, but still he managed to average 63 this phase.

Dravid - 73

SRT - 63

Sehwag - 52

Laxman - 52

How many captains have luxury of 4 batsman averaging over 52 with 1 in 70s and 1 in 60s. This was one of the strongest batting line up in history of Indian cricket and reason why we managed to save so many games overseas.

How can anyone credit Ganguly for greatness of Dravid, SRT and Laxman?

Along with that he got 2 spinners at peak under him - Kumble and Bhajji. Lack of pace options meant he couldn't many games away.

Ganguly certainly did well to hold the team together during initial years when there was too much discontent after match fixing saga. Situation was completely opposite to what it is now. Jayant Lele had no faith in Kapil Dev as coach who was busy taking care of his own group. Kapil Dev tried to hide Jadeja's injury to help him get into team and despite his efforts. Tendulkar was caught between all this and he wasn't happy about team selections. There was sense of mutual distrust on all sides. Team was low on confidence and when Ganguly took over many people were wondering whether he would be allowed to do his work freely. 

Luckily we got rid of Kapil Dev quickly and changes in adminstration/selection panel ensured a better relationship everywhere. Appointing John Wright was probably best thing to happen at that time as he left politics and all to others and focussed on the game. Ganguly certainly did very well ensuring that friction is reduced everywhere and everyone is limited to their intended roles only. He was a better man manager than any other captain.

Ganguly was the person who took capable people up the mountain and was suceesful in that, while on the other hand Dhoni took over when same people were going downhill. Sehwag, Dravid, Laxman, all players started declining after 2009-10 and there was no easy way to phase them out as they were great players. No wonder most those batsmen have low averages under him. However he got Zak at prime albeit for very few matches and was able maximise those resources to achieve great results both at home and away.

Once they all hit bottom at once, he was left with worst team we have seen so far. No batsman or bowler was ranked among top 10 in 2012 for India. This was extraordinary situation compounded by Dhoni's own lack of ideas. He didn't try anything at all when team was losing in England or Australia. However forced by conditions, he backed young players like Ashwin and Jadeja who turned out to be match winners later.

Almost everyone called Vijay and Jadeja as CSK picks, but those have been our best turn arounds in test cricket in last 5 years. Especially Jadeja who has been winning for us on flat pitches. He didn't give on any other batsmen easily either. This is something most of Indian captains have failed to manage.

Dhoni maximised ODI potential of the team. He was helped by the consistent use of same pattern which worked for him for long time. 

Captaincy is bound to get stale after a period that's why captaincy has always has use by date attached to them.After a while it doesn't matter who the captain is message gets lost in translation.

Both Dhoni and Ganguly were utterly conservative captains.Dhoni gets a plus for me as he was a very good in handling spinners. Both were found wanting in handling fast bowlers.

14 minutes ago, Shunya said:

You should leave it as well. No point responding to every dumb personal attack. Why are you wasting so much time behind them. They sound very frustrated in life for some reason if they have to do all this on an internet forum. 

:cantstop: what i knew from old users was.. They were rickrolled pretty badly by old Dhoni fans ( who no longer post here) back in those last years of sachin.. It left a big hole in their heart..So they formed this little Anti-Club and trying to attack anyone who posts a positive things about dhoni. So they ll be called either a chamcha or a PR... So anyone who go against this are Targeted like Ankit these days for example... When sachin name is mentioned or compared they get "Triggered" and starts abusing :giggle:

6 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Captaincy is bound to get stale after a period that's why captaincy has always has use by date attached to them.After a while it doesn't matter who the captain is message gets lost in translation.

Yes they both in their last phases backed some player more then they shud have had, their ideas got stale but that happens with all the captain world around

Thats why they say a captain has a shelf life 

Both Dhoni and Ganguly were utterly conservative captains.Dhoni gets a plus for me as he was a very good in handling spinners. Both were found wanting in handling fast bowlers.

I think both were bold captain, i have only found kohli damn conservative as captain

Ganguly was actually a bit better with fast bowler, he had more confidence then dhoni in fast bowlers. 

My one criticism with ganguly was at end he kept on backing zak n nehra when tehy were getting constantly injured, hence playing them before they cud achieve match fitness which use to lead a breakdown often . 

Thats why chappell also had some good things with his phase when he bought in many youngsters all of sudden 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
16 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

a lot of cricketers/analysts agree with many of my sentiments, as I will continue to prove in upcoming posts on MSD's captaincy 

And who are those legends/analysts ? Are you just gonna throw in some random names or list ? Feel free.. Ganguly ? Same guy who said Rahane should play T20s and #3 in Odis :cantstop:.. If I dig.. I ll find tons of crap from him as so called pundit.

I don't know what you are going to prove man.. You are twisting your tounge faster than a politicican for Example..

Me: How was he a bad captain? 

U : We got whitewashed under him in away series in Aus and England

Me:  We were #1 in Tests first time under him for the first time in History

U :  zaheer was the captain of the bowling attack..back in those days .. Dhoni gets no credit for us being #1. Zaheer was the reason

Me : wasn't Zaheer captain of bowling attack  in those Away tours where we got whitewashed? 

U : "Are you older than 13? "

"we ll let voters decide"

"You got very few neurons left"

Me : Congrats.. You won for picking on typos :adore: Great discussion

28 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Post world up win in 2011 he was a weak captain in both test and ODI's. Dhoni was excellent leader in first four years. compmared to next 3-4 years after the world cup win.

Only positive thing in his post 2011 world cup captaincy was that he did not let the 0-8 result affect the team and handled it pretty well in that hopeless period of Indian Cricket. But it was high time for us to get a new test captain.

I find both ganguly and dhoni good in some ways. Ganguly instill the confidence that we can perform against the best in test and it shows in few of the biggest test victory under his captaincy. Similarly with Dhoni he always try to do something new especially  in odis. Even after 2011 if you see few things which he tried was awesome like asking dhwan and rohit to open in ct13, provided chance to bumrah and pandya(especially against t20wc match against bd). Last but not the list trying jadhav as an bowler in nz series where he got man of the series, well it may be pure luck especially  trying pandya in last over against bd and giving jadhav bowling against nz. But credit must go to him, i find this missing in kohli as he always stick with orthodox  approach sometimes you need to think out of box, you might fail but no one will question that you didn't  try.

25 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

:cantstop: what i knew from old users was.. They were rickrolled pretty badly by old Dhoni fans ( who no longer post here) back in those last years of sachin.. It left a big hole in their heart..So they formed this little Anti-Club and trying to attack anyone who posts a positive things about dhoni. So they ll be called either a chamcha or a PR... So anyone who go against this are Targeted like Ankit these days for example... When sachin name is mentioned or compared they get "Triggered" and starts abusing :giggle:

Yea, I have myself observed that on/off since for years now on this forum as well as previous one during Ganguly/Dravid era. Some people are just too frustrated. Let it go. Dissing Sachin or Dhoni both is a sad thing to see for me. Some butthurt people have turned this into some who has more followers type competition and that too on online forum ffs :facepalm: They just cannot see how dumb it is and constantly provoke and rile everyone up to get some sadistic pleasure. I am proud and have felt lot of joy watching Dhoni play for our team and also for lot of other players including Sachin, Yuvi and lot more. Some idiots on an online forum cannot change that feeling. 

Stop driving yourself nuts responding to agenda driven posts. Its not worth it.

A true story...my Grandma’s sister was deaf and mute(god rest  both their souls) ...I didn’t know if that was  the traditional sign language but after a while me and most of my cousins understood her and could communicate with her,we just subconsciously picked it up.

Why I randomly remembered this is because Is it just me or have @Rasgulla ‘s posts gotten more comprehensible? Unless his new year resoultion is to make an attempt to structure sentences and paragraphs I might be subconsciously picking up on his ramblings :fear1:

Edited by maniac
4 minutes ago, maniac said:

A true story...my Grandma’s sister was deaf and mute(god rest  both their souls) ...I didn’t know if that was  the traditional sign language but after a while me and most of my cousins understood her and could communicate with her,we just subconsciously picked it up.

Why I randomly remembered this is because Is it just me or have @Rasgulla ‘s posts gotten more comprehensible? Unless his new year resoultion is to make an attempt to structure sentences and paragraphs I might be subconsciously picking up on his ramblings :fear1:

@velu neutered his dog