Battle of young batsmen: Shaw vs Gill

Battle of young batsmen  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Shaw or Gill?

• Prithvi Shaw
    • Shubman Gill

So India are in the final. Excellent news. Bigger picture, who is currently ahead with their game and more deserving of a call up to the national side (in any format). 

My personal opinion, Gill is marginally ahead. He appears marginally more composed at the crease and Prithvi looks slightly offside dominant at the moment where as Gill is more evenly balanced (although it appears that he slightly prefers the leg side). 

Gill is comfortably ahead. But Shaw is an opener. So both have a shot simultaneously. Not necessarily have to be one or the other. Trigger movements are very good. Both have good defense. Gill has more powerful strokes compared to Shaw. That is understandable. Gill is an upright player.  Gill's first movement is going slightly back. Shaw slightly comes forward. Not a committed forward press. Both have well rounded game. They can complement each other. Shaw's judgement about runs is terrible. He keeps looking for impossible singles.

Just now, vvvslaxman said:

Gill is comfortably ahead. But Shaw is an opener. So both have a shot simultaneously. Not necessarily have to be one or the other. Trigger movements are very good. Both have good defense. Gill has more powerful strokes compared to Shaw. That is understandable. Gill is an upright player.  Gill's first movement is going slightly back. Shaw slightly comes forward. Not a committed forward press. Both have well rounded game. They can complement each other. Shaw's judgement about runs is terrible. He keeps looking for impossible singles.

Shaw tends to move his back foot to leg stump before bowlers release meaning he may find it difficult to hit the ball on the leg side. Nick Knight explained this point quite nicely yesterday. 

Just now, mancalledsting said:

Shaw tends to move his back foot to leg stump before bowlers release meaning he may find it difficult to hit the ball on the leg side. Nick Knight explained this point quite nicely yesterday. 

I think Shaw might struggle on seaming pitches with that movement, like he did against vinay kumar, whereas Gill is technically solid and seems to do everything effortlessly. I think Gill should be fast tracked to the test team for the England tour, probably wont happen though.

2 minutes ago, Bleed-Blue said:

I think Shaw might struggle on seaming pitches with that movement, like he did against vinay kumar, whereas Gill is technically solid and seems to do everything effortlessly. I think Gill should be fast tracked to the test team for the England tour, probably wont happen though.

Having seen Rohit sharma dancing on SA pitches 2 series in a row, you could see why we need to keep looking for a technically sound batsman preferably young one. Rohit sharma made international debut in 2007. He is still a clueless hack in Tests in alien conditions. So is Dhawan. 

2 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Having seen Rohit sharma dancing on SA pitches 2 series in a row, you could see why we need to keep looking for a technically sound batsman preferably young one. Rohit sharma made international debut in 2007. He is still a clueless hack in Tests in alien conditions. So is Dhawan. 

I think in the case of Rohit, he became a hack because in his early years all he played was IPL on patta wickets. His game was therefore only set up for that type of cricket. Later when he played top class international cricket, he has failed to adjust his technique appropriately. I blame BCCI for not giving him long run in international scene earlier on in his career. Was absolutely criminal that Raina was promoted ahead of him into the test side. 

Shaw is more of a dasher gives ball a hack.. One thing i noticed Which differentiate the two now is gill is crafty looks for singles nd doubles nd odd boundary in between a la kohli whereas shaw doesnt have singles game.. But is working on it..which got reflected today by his reckless running. In challenger trophy also shaw was either on 5th gear or in 1st didn't had singles nd doubles game nd he threw his wicket while trying to bludgeoning the ball out of the park.

Too early to say who does what. Shaw might come out outstanding, who knows. Hard to judge an opener how he will do down the line. Depends on how much hard work they put in watching the ball and letting go and choosing the right shots when they tour countires like England - something where Kohli was extremely poor on his first tour.

Gill will be class apart in ODI'S. Too early to say about test matches.

6 minutes ago, jj_28 said:

I think everybody will pick Gill (as I did) because of his display today but Shaw before his run out looked equally as good and in control in my opinion. They both look really really good. 

Shaw was looking good but he needs to work on singles nd doubles to amplify his stroke making, he surely has figured it out nd wants to ammend it as he was keen to take singles when ever possible in today's game which ironically lead to his downfall

1 hour ago, Amit228 said:

Shaw was looking good but he needs to work on singles nd doubles to amplify his stroke making, he surely has figured it out nd wants to ammend it as he was keen to take singles when ever possible in today's game which ironically lead to his downfall

Prithvi Shaw is inevitable, I don't see Shubman Gill's batting as being inevitable. On that sense alone I rate prithvi higher.

Also Prithvi absolutely domineered the English on green seaming English pitches in 2017. 

1 hour ago, lamellavig said:

Prithvi Shaw is inevitable, I don't see Shubman Gill's batting as being inevitable. On that sense alone I rate prithvi higher.

Also Prithvi absolutely domineered the English on green seaming English pitches in 2017. 

I still  think Gill a better player of pace than Shaw. Shaw will be tested by shortish stuff soon. 

Gill terrific runner , shaw lags in this aspect. 

India A tour to eng/ Aus/ SA will tell us real picture.
forget about fastracking to national side 
they should be fast tracked to india A immediately

last india tour A to SA
test squad : panchal kishan nair iyer(c) mukund chatterjee bawne vihari aniket ankit saini shardul siraj jayant nadeem
-----replace them with mayank shaw gill khaleel nagarkoti gopal

list A squad : pandey(c) mandeep iyer hooda nair samson pant krunal shanker siraj thampi kaul shardul yuzi axar jayant
-----replace them with mayank, anmolpreet, gill, mavi, avesh, rahul chahar, anukul, abhishek sharma

Iyer pandey yuzi axar nair are senior players now, shardul is in the squad.
Mukund aniket chatterjee nadeem kaul dont look international claas to me.
Nair and jayant are more suited to tests

5 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

imo Gill is  way ahead of shaw,for an opener he doesnt use his feet well but i see this in most young ipl generation young batsmen.

you think batsmen before IPL had great footwork. Our best opener after Gavaskar, Sehwag is the biggest example of lack of footwork.  Should I need to name more? VVS Laxman is another great example of leaden footwork. Sadagopan Ramesh.  In fact, most Indian batsmen don't move their feet. It is nothing new. Dhawan, Yuvraj, Raina all are pre-IPL products.