Why hasn't Bengal produced many quality international cricketers?

@maniac @Vijy 

I only said that despite AP, Telangana despite being rich states, with enough scope for developing their youngsters haven't done enough in cricket especially with bringing out new talent into the Indian cricket fold, since VVS (last decade, present IPL). Though on further introspection, I feel it is the corrupt bodies of HCA and AP cricket which are the main reason, much more than either laziness or any other reason. The domination of Hyderabad in World's badminton arena is a fact. agreed.

my comments on the middle class telugu youth running after American passports are uncalled for. apologies :|

17 hours ago, sandeep said:

Isn't Shami a Bihari import?  And Ojha was a chucker.  Doshi who?  

Saha is a valuable role player in one format, granted.  And So since Ganguly's debut in 1996, Kolkata's contribution to Indian cricket is more like Laxmi Ratan "Bindaas" Shukla, Ashok "high jump" Dinda, and Manoj "never was" Tiwary.  Current India 'A' squad has Ganguly's sifarishi candidate Sudip Chatterjee - the 27th best batsman in the most recent Ranji trophy.  

Kolkata's claim to cricket fame is having a the biggest concrete bowl of a stadium, burning newspapers, and rioting when things don't as they expect - whether its an ODI WC semi-final or a test against Pakistan.  

Keep calm and eat some JhalMuri.  I'll have a few rossogullas. :p:

I always thought you were a bengali. Sandeep is a common bengali name

7 hours ago, rageaddict said:

Yes,  Bengal has produced Thomas Odoyos  and Steve Tikolos of Football. Brilliant achievement. 

While Punjab and Mumbai have only  produced World Class Hockey Players that won Gold Medals/ World Cups and International Level Cricketers that won World Cups/ Test Series Abroad. 

The might Bengalis meanwhile won globally renowned tournaments like Santosh Trophy  and SAARC Cup and give tough competition to Footballing Giant's like Nepal,  Bangaldesh,  Myanmar and Sri Lanka. 

Respect. 

Better to STFU than showcase your ignorance. Football has 100x the competition as cricket/hockey and till the late 60s India was a power to be reckoned with in football riding on the shoulders of Bengalis. 

18 hours ago, Temujin Khaghan said:

Also Telugu states - who don't lack for resources unlike Orissa, jharkhand etc.. but hardly any quality player after VVS... 

I personally feel caste feeling is the main reason in A.P whereas in Hyderabad it is undoubtedly laziness. Laziness is the national anthem here. The city wakes up at 9 and gets going by 11. 

I am Hyderabadi and there is no dearth of resources for sure...

But not quite sure ..what could be reason....

I would use "Laid back" instead of laziness for hyderabadi's

Moreover, there isn't any exciting talent in store...

On the other hand Andhra is producing some decent talent

6 hours ago, New guy said:

I always thought you were a bengali. Sandeep is a common bengali name

Naah.  I'm Indian:isalute:

On a non-joking note, I think some on this thread are taking things too seriously.   No need to 'defend' any state's performance.  There are umpteen common and logical reasons for non-metro areas not to have produced finished products in sports.  Cricket or others.  And its great to see that change.  

2 hours ago, sandeep said:

Naah.  I'm Indian:isalute:

On a non-joking note, I think some on this thread are taking things too seriously.   No need to 'defend' any state's performance.  There are umpteen common and logical reasons for non-metro areas not to have produced finished products in sports.  Cricket or others.  And its great to see that change.  

Not basing on this thread alone but many posters here can't take off their biased regional glasses when it comes to judging our cricketers. Casual racism, deliberate misrepresentation of stats, spreading falsehood,  downplaying of players irrespective of performances/achievements are the norm here for quite a few posters. If some here have their way there would be zero representation of cricketers from East and South zones irrespective of merit. Don't expect the usual suspects to change, so need to fight for and defend those on the firing line. 

well, we atleast got to know who the bengali posters are on ICF.

Who comes to mind when you think of prominent Bengalis in cricket?  Ganguly....and then saha.  So what's that 2 cricketers?

i don't think Shami, Ojha are bengalis

21 hours ago, dandaroy said:

The last time I checked India sucks at football!! :giggle:

That is because there is 1000 times more competition in Football than cricket which only a handful countries care about.And we are discussing about athletic abilities here.Your fittest Indian cricketer Kohli wont even last 10 mins playing against university level footballers in Kerala or Bengal let alone the guys who play in I league or Indian team.I grew up playing soccer and volleyball in Kerala and only most non-athletic ones played cricket back then because it was a lethargic and easy game.

23 hours ago, rageaddict said:

Yes,  Bengal has produced Thomas Odoyos  and Steve Tikolos of Football. Brilliant achievement. 

While Punjab and Mumbai have only  produced World Class Hockey Players that won Gold Medals/ World Cups and International Level Cricketers that won World Cups/ Test Series Abroad. 

The might Bengalis meanwhile won globally renowned tournaments like Santosh Trophy  and SAARC Cup and give tough competition to Footballing Giant's like Nepal,  Bangaldesh,  Myanmar and Sri Lanka. 

Respect. 

Remember, we are discussing about athleitc abilties here and its common sense that football has 1000 times more competition than cricket and hence much tougher to make it at international level.

Our wrestlers and boxers have started winning international medals only recently and do you think they are athletically lesser than the likes of Rohit Sharma and Kedar Jadhav? A C level wrestler in Kohlapur will singlehandedly break the bones of the entire Indian cricket team at once.

Atheltic abilities of even an I league footballer, who has the stamina to run 90 mins on an effin football field non-stop ,is way higher than any cricketer India has ever seen.

Edited by Cricket_Fan

Man, I just noticed another stat. Punjab has won second most santosh trophies, more than Kerala or Goa.  Punjab gets overlooked in football.

Since 2000

Services won 4 times, 1 time runner ups

Bengal has won 3 times, 2 times runner ups

Punjab won 2 times, 3 times runner ups

Kerala won 2 times, 2 times runner ups

Goa won 2 times, 2 times runner ups

Punjabis rocking in hockey, football,cricket,athletics,kabaddi, basketball,etc :hail::hail:

Edited by PBN
1 hour ago, Cricket_Fan said:

That is because there is 1000 times more competition in Football than cricket which only a handful countries care about.And we are discussing about athletic abilities here.Your fittest Indian cricketer Kohli wont even last 10 mins playing against university level footballers in Kerala or Bengal let alone the guys who play in I league or Indian team.I grew up playing soccer and volleyball in Kerala and only most non-athletic ones played cricket back then because it was a lethargic and easy game.

Cant compare the two different sports. Tennis players are even fitter, rugby players combine that fitness with stregnth.

Also Kohli isnt the fittest in the Indian team, that is probably Umesh. He and some of the other pacemen are likely to be as fit if not more so than Indian professional footballers. 

Lazy elegance in batting doesn’t equate to being a lazy person :facepalm:

Azhar used to be fittest and most athletic guy in the side...Laxman was just athletically challenged

like say Ashwin, but doesn’t mean he had a poor work ethic....same with Rohit or even Mark Waugh etc.

Only guy I can think of who had that lazy elegance and work ethic is Inzamam but that’s a different beeed altogether.

44 minutes ago, Cricket_Fan said:

Remember, we are discussing about athleitc abilties here and its common sense that football has 1000 times more competition than cricket and hence much tougher to make it at international level.

Our wrestlers and boxers have started winning international medals only recently and do you think they are athletically lesser than the likes of Rohit Sharma and Kedar Jadhav? A C level wrestler in Kohlapur will singlehandedly break the bones of the entire Indian cricket team at once.

Atheltic abilities of even an I league footballer, who has the stamina to run 90 mins on an effin football field non-stop ,is way higher than any cricketer India has ever seen.

Some high level BS. 

Kolhapur Wrestler will beat all Cricketers,  Z grade I League Footballers will beat Kohli. 

Pata nahi Kaha Kaha se aa jaate hai apna theory leke,  tumko toh sabse HALWA game Cricket hi lagta hai. 

Go talk to a Rugby Fan and see how soft and phaggy sport football looks to them where all  sissy footballers  whine like crybabies at slightest of tackles. Don't bring your useless Sport Comparison self made theories. 

A Fit  Express Fast Bowler has the most rigorous workload . 

3 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

Some high level BS. 

Kolhapur Wrestler will beat all Cricketers,  Z grade I League Footballers will beat Kohli. 

Pata nahi Kaha Kaha se aa jaate hai apna theory leke,  tumko toh sabse HALWA game Cricket hi lagta hai. 

Go talk to a Rugby Fan and see how soft and phaggy sport football looks to them where all  sissy footballers  whine like crybabies at slightest of tackles. Don't bring your useless Sport Comparison self made theories. 

A Fit  Express Fast Bowler has the most rigorous workload . 

Yeah that Kolhapur wrestler might bench press more than a cricketer but can he out run say some one like Jadeja..::different games need different skills and strength training....what are you trying to prove here?

Also the same football or rugby player might not have the reflexes and coordination to play a 135k ball hurled at them leave alone 150k...so your theory is flawed 

Edited by maniac
1 hour ago, Cricket_Fan said:

Typical ignorant remark from someone who has never played among competitive players .

Tu kabhi Mumbai aakar dekh Kisi Maidaan main,  tereko Pata Chalega kitna easy hai Cricket. Tere jaise 2 minute survive nahi kar paenge aur fake injury excuse banake bhaag jaega. 

Edited by rageaddict