Iceland with 3.34lac population is in football WC, China/India/USA/Indonesia/pak/BD/Philippines are not

randomGuy

14 hours ago, randomGuy said:

I totally agree with your thoughts .....but you would also agree that comparing team sport with individual sport will give us a part of the story but not the full story...

India probably isn't great in marathons also. Icelanders aren't great sprinters probably.  india china usa etc. Could be atleast not worse than iceland (A country of only 3 lac) without much effort due to their large populations? India's fifa rank is in the 90s, China in 70s, Iran is 37, USA is 25,iceland is 22, Tunisia (got smashed by England) 21 etc... 

This tells me tht perhaps there isn't much difference in rank 20 to rank 100 team in football. 

Yeah I went off topic with my post, now coming back to your question. 

Skill set in football is not as diverse as in cricket, which is the reason why you see very small differences in quality of football between a high ranked team and a 30 something ranked team. Also football is the most natural sport whereas cricket is one of the most artificial sports like golf. In football there is no elite, all have equal chances to win.

All the countries listed are ASIAN. Asian people are some of the laziest people in sports. Can you imagine sportsmen like rohit sharma, tamim iqbal or shafraz ahmed running from one end of the field to another more than 3 times within 5 min? Fat, lazy, unfit people are not ment for soccer.

P.S genetic also plays some part aswell. 

Edited by Zero_Unit

On 6/18/2018 at 7:42 PM, Tibarn said:

Again, people become elite level athletes only with sufficient time to practice. It's called the 10,000 hour rule in pop psychology, meaning someone requires 10,000 hours of practice to become an elite athlete in their field.

In general it is established  ~20 percent of the difference in performance between athletes is from practice. 

In most cases, genetics are just an excuse for why people can't do it. Genetics matters when you reach the level that all the competitors are of similar preparation. 

Many Asian groups have high Testosterone levels compared to non-Asian groups. That implies they should be better at many sports. The Chinese already are doing great at the Olympics nowadays...  

testo.jpg.38571b71973e8cb8e3cc052a2c8de70d.jpg

At our local gym, I see young Asians who joined and continued turned really fit amd comparable to other big and bulky guys of different ethinicity

6 hours ago, mishra said:

At our local gym, I see young Asians who joined and continued turned really fit amd comparable to other big and bulky guys of different ethinicity

This I agree with from my own experience as well. Similar, to @Ranvir I have a distant cousins(2nd or 3rd) who all were born/raised in the UK, their parents are 5'5 and 5'0, but all four are above 6 foot tall. They are all strict vegetarians as well (and pharmacists oddly enough).

The thing is in my opinion,  people don't understand how malnourished the subcontinent is in general. It is probably the most malnourished part of the entire planet. 

Here is an example:

physical-strength-regions

The subcontinent men/women basically come at the bottom of grip strength, which can be used to predict forearm strength, in the world. This is despite the high testosterone levels. That implies to me people just don't have access to enough food, which they do have in the UK, US, et al

This I agree with from my own experience as well. Similar, to@Ranvir I have a distant cousins(2nd or 3rd) who all were born/raised in the UK, their parents are 5'5 and 5'0, but all four are above 6 foot tall. They are all strict vegetarians as well (and pharmacists oddly enough).

The thing is in my opinion,  people don't understand how malnourished the subcontinent is in general. It is probably the most malnourished part of the entire planet. 

Here is an example:

physical-strength-regions.png
The subcontinent men/women basically come at the bottom of grip strength, which can be used to predict forearm strength, in the world. This is despite the high testosterone levels. That implies to me people just don't have access to enough food, which they do have in the UK, US, et al

I agree on malnourished part. Even the present generation in India seem visibly taller than the older generations.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Tibarn said:

This I agree with from my own experience as well. Similar, to @Ranvir I have a distant cousins(2nd or 3rd) who all were born/raised in the UK, their parents are 5'5 and 5'0, but all four are above 6 foot tall. They are all strict vegetarians as well (and pharmacists oddly enough).

Here is an example:

physical-strength-regions

Next gen is allways going to be taller and stronger. But your assessment about nourishment (lack of it) is absolutely correct. I have seen most kids of first gen Indian parents have dwarfed their parents ( boy to father and daughter to mother) by around a half feet to a feet.

But for once we forget that bit , Our poor performance in all sports is simply down to funding and attitude. simple as that. To put it in perspective Indias sports budget is equal to spending per medal in UK.

Edited by mishra

Iceland ko choro, we have some outstanding examples in cricket itself.

Antigua and Barbuda population 57,000 LINK-> Andy Roberts, Curtly Ambrose, Viv Richards, Richie Richardson....3 of them will stroll into the Indian Test All Time XI.

Barbados population 2.3 lakhs-> Wesley Hall, Joel Garner, Gordon Greenidge, Desmond Haynes, Malcolm Marshall, Garry Sobers, Clyde Walcott, Everton Weekes, Frank Worrell, Conrad Hunte...what a line up :hysterical:

Both these islands are area-wise significantly smaller than Lucknow. West Indians are effing beasts :adore:

Edited by Gollum

9 hours ago, mishra said:

Next gen is allways going to be taller and stronger. But your assessment about nourishment (lack of it) is absolutely correct. I have seen most kids of first gen Indian parents have dwarfed their parents ( boy to father and daughter to mother) by around a half feet to a feet.

But for once we forget that bit , Our poor performance in all sports is simply down to funding and attitude. simple as that. To put it in perspective Indias sports budget is equal to spending per medal in UK.

I think we should at least determine a handful of the sports and focus funds on them: maybe Boxing, Wrestling, Shooting. 

9 hours ago, rageaddict said:

Physically inferior Asian Midgets just knocked  the Superior Aryan Warriors out of the WC. 

The Aryan Warriors are inferior in the sense that they don't eat enough carbs like Asians! They should go gluten/lactose free and eat lots of rice like Koreans next time :p:

People that point to genetics as the sole reason for failure or success in sports especially team sports lack the basic fundamentals of the dynamics of how team sports function.  Not too long ago, Indians or other foreign coaches kept bringing up Indian genetic for the lack of pace bowlers without understanding the basic dynamics of pace bowling, the culture, and the coaching.  Same goes for team sports such as soccer, this isn’t a 100m individual race or the world’s tallest or strongest competition.  There’s a lot of nuances involved: infrastructure, coaching, team dyanmics, skill development, exposure to playing in better leagues, along with fitness.

On 6/28/2018 at 8:05 AM, MechEng said:

The Aryan Warriors are inferior in the sense that they don't eat enough carbs like Asians! They should go gluten/lactose free and eat lots of rice like Koreans next time :p:

Actually, I can't tell the difference between Sauerkraut and Kimchi. Tastes the same!

Fermented cabbage, both.

Edited by Mariyam

On 6/27/2018 at 7:08 PM, nikred said:

I agree on malnourished part. Even the present generation in India seem visibly taller than the older generations.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Football like cricket is one of the game where height is not required.Look at Luca Modric , He is 5-7 or 5-8 .In Croatia  it is 3-4 inches shorter than average Croat height

5 hours ago, Singh bling said:

Football like cricket is one of the game where height is not required.Look at Luca Modric , He is 5-7 or 5-8 .In Croatia  it is 3-4 inches shorter than average Croat height

Not exactly.Height is very much a factor in Football unless you are extremely skilled enough to overcome that.Even at junior level, coaches look for tall kids.

16 minutes ago, Cricket_Fan said:

Not exactly.Height is very much a factor in Football unless you are extremely skilled enough to overcome that.Even at junior level, coaches look for tall kids.

For defenders, maybe... For attackers, midfielders, i don't think height is a factor. 

1 hour ago, Cricket_Fan said:

An average footballer is 5-10 or 11" This is just 1 inches tall or similar height of Average European Man 

10 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Actually, I can't tell the difference between Sauerkraut and Kimchi. Tastes the same!

Fermented cabbage, both.

It's good to have a rich SoBoite like u on this forum, informs us of first world problems within our third world country. 

I think given that South asian diaspora does not make the team of arab and western nations its time to conclude that we dont have the best genetic stock when it comes to physical sports. The only person of the indian diaspora I can think of is Vikash Dhorasoo.

Still a lot of medals for eg india can win at the olympics though which dont require for eg a lot of endurance and running. 

and the problem in general for the South asian teams is barring cricket they are no where.

India usually wins a handful of Olympic medals based on previous editions

Pakistan last won a medal in 1992

BD never won

SL won in 2000

Nepal never won

Afghanistan won a bronze recently.

The Olympics usually have a whole host of sports which need raw skills to physical strength.