Dilip Vengsarkar: "How can you drop Rahane from the England ODIs after captaining the Test team against Afghanistan?

Whatever he is, genuine or hype ...  if he is thought to be a serious long term  prospect by our team management then he should get 10 to 15 games on the trot.   If he not thought of as a serious long term prospect then don't give him even one game. 

This should apply to every player.

I don't understand this constant confusion in the minds of the management and constant chopping and changing of our team.  

It is because of this confusion about which talent is a good international prospect, in the minds of Kohli and Shastri, that old players are prefered. They just dont seem to have the ability to identify new high quality international prospects.  

Kohli and Shastri are afraid of losing (but they end up losing anyways).
They just don't like to experiment and back some players for a long while.
Especially the ones who are not in their close knit circle.

Rahul has done well in Tests and should be an automatic choice there.
T20s-I am divided.
He is not a natural player, but has put efforts to change his game but he is pretty inconsistent over here too.
And he is your typical Zimbabwe basher in ODIs.

Basically, Kohli and Shastri don't exactly think Rahul as some high profile talent that needs to be nurtured when it comes to LOIs.
I agree what they are doing with him in Tests is Crime.
But in case of LOIs, Rahul only gets chances because his backers have immense media power to force Kohli-Shastri to give him a spot.
I honestly don't like this media outcry over some player who is seemingly 2nd grade.
That's why I was(am still) apprehensive about Pant and his hype too.
Overhyping some player before him making a substantial mark in World Cricket is one wrong thing PR people are doing.
What if these players, after becoming permanent in the sides, turn out to be ****?

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Frankly, I am annoyed by his hype and his fanbwoys crying on social media.
He might be a talented player but he is a minnow basher in ODIs and maybe even T20s.
I just tolerate this social media weeping about a particular player and public pressure on Kohli for including players.

Cricket is not a movie that you will pass off **** as gold.

really?? 

He will only come good if he is given a good run,which i don't think he ever will under this musical chair selection policy,if rohit after close to a gazillion odi failures can still remake himself to be an opener and do well,i have hope from rahul and not based on hype,based on what i have seen from him in tests and t20s.

He has played less than 12 odis after all this hoola hoop and most of them at different positions and getting dropped after every 2 -3 odis,how do you expect to make a player when you won't even give him a more than 3 odis at a particular spot,there is no logic in this constant dropping,we will never make a great odi team like this just a good one and will still continue to loose crunch matches when top 3 doesn't fire.

Edited by RAZPOR

A confession: there was a time around maybe 2014/15 that I thought Rahane was the best all round batsman in India, he had scored runs abroad and some in IPL as well. The way he smashed a straight six off Steyn in the WC reminded me of Dravid's off Donald. Alas, it wasn't meant to be and 4 years later we're still not sure who fits in at 4 (and 5 and 6 and maybe even 7):whine:

38 minutes ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Frankly, I am annoyed by his hype and his fanbwoys crying on social media.
He might be a talented player but he is a minnow basher in ODIs and maybe even T20s.
I just tolerate this social media weeping about a particular player and public pressure on Kohli for including players.

Cricket is not a movie that you will pass off **** as gold.

Rahul is a once in a generation player. England is no minnow and he scored a 100 there in T20. two T20I 100s in less than 200 games. 

5 minutes ago, Clarke said:

A confession: there was a time around maybe 2014/15 that I thought Rahane was the best all round batsman in India, he had scored runs abroad and some in IPL as well. The way he smashed a straight six off Steyn in the WC reminded me of Dravid's off Donald. Alas, it wasn't meant to be and 4 years later we're still not sure who fits in at 4 (and 5 and 6 and maybe even 7):whine:

:agree:

I thought so too.

He was my favourite too.

1 hour ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

T20s-I am divided.
He is not a natural player, but has put efforts to change his game but he is pretty inconsistent over here too.

Basically, Kohli and Shastri don't exactly think Rahul as some high profile talent that needs to be nurtured when it comes to LOIs.
But in case of LOIs, Rahul only gets chances because his backers have immense media power to force Kohli-Shastri to give him a spot.
I honestly don't like this media outcry over some player who is seemingly 2nd grade.
Overhyping some player before him making a substantial mark in World Cricket is one wrong thing PR people are doing.
What if these players, after becoming permanent in the sides, turn out to be ****?

Pant is only talked about as he has decently done well,you can find him scoring freely against Eng A where all other domestic stalwarts failed,so there is a reason people back him, Similarly it is done with Shaw,Gill,Mavi as people see potential in them,there is no pr behind them ,pr only comes  into picture when they feature in main team primarily.Fans arent biased ,as much as they want Pant,they want to see Kishan,Gill,Mavi, Nagarkoti,Khaleel too.I wont call them biased ,we have our grudge as we see after being qualified to play ,players like Rahul,Pant,Siraj,Saini,Khaleel are in sidelines and the tried tested failures are being given n number of chances.Even to be called a failure one has to be provided with decent run,Rahul gets his peanut chances here and there,I dont see him getting 14-15 continous games.Every now and then he is getting dropped,this in turn doesnt provide the selection committee the needed evidence to drop him,neither does it give him confidence to play his innings,he always has a look of a scared lamb who  is there to save his head ..Had it happened with kohli then,we wouldn't have seen the Kohli of now,atleast Dhoni had something (integrity)in him to try him ,give him a proper run,but unfortunately this Kohli has lost everything to his greed for money and power

There is no end to it..

Edited by Suhaan
1 hour ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

T20s-I am divided.

Pant is only talked about as he has decently done well,you can find him scoring freely against Eng A where all other domestic stalwarts failed,so there is a reason people back him, Similarly it is done with Shaw,Gill,Mavi as people see potential in them,there is no pr behind them, pr  comes only into picture when they feature in main team primarily.Fans arent biased ,as much as they want Pant,they want to see Kishan,Gill,Mavi, Nagarkoti,Khaleel too.I wont call them biased ,we have our grudge as we see after being qualified to play ,players like Rahul,Pant,Siraj,Saini,Khaleel are in sidelines and the tried tested failures are being given n number of chances.Even to be called a failure one has to be provided with decent run,Rahul gets his peanut chances here and there,I dont see him getting 14-15 continous games.Every now and then he is getting dropped,this in turn doesnt provide the selection committee the needed evidence to drop him,neither does it give him confidence to play his innings,he always has a look of a scared lamb who  is there to save his head ..Had it happened with kohli then,we wouldn't have seen the Kohli of now,atleast Dhoni had something (integrity)in him to try him ,give him a proper run,but unfortunately this Kohli has lost everything to his greed for money and power

There is no end to it..

Edited by Suhaan

Pant is only talked about as he has decently done well,you can find him scoring freely against Eng A where all other domestic stalwarts failed,so there is a reason people back him, Similarly it is done with Shaw,Gill,Mavi as people see potential in them,there is no pr behind them ,pr only comes  into picture when they feature in main team primarily.Fans arent biased ,as much as they want Pant,they want to see Kishan,Gill,Mavi, Nagarkoti,Khaleel too.I wont call them biased ,we have our grudge as we see after being qualified to play ,players like Rahul,Pant,Siraj,Saini,Khaleel are in sidelines and the tried tested failures are being given n number of chances.Even to be called a failure one has to be provided with decent run,Rahul gets his peanut chances here and there,I dont see him getting 14-15 continous games.Every now and then he is getting dropped,this in turn doesnt provide the selection committee the needed evidence to drop him,neither does it give him confidence to play his innings,he always has a look of a scared lamb who  is there to save his head ..Had it happened with kohli then,we wouldn't have seen the Kohli of now,atleast Dhoni had something (integrity)in him to try him ,give him a proper run,but unfortunately this Kohli has lost everything to his greed for money and power
There is no end to it..

That PR thing was more for KL Rahul than anybody else.
He is everywhere nowadays.
Magazine covers, TV shows, Beauty Pageants.
And that coupled with annoying fans on social media and his Annoying AF despo chipku personality made me dislike him a lot.
Pant, I don't think I have anything else against him but I am equally wary of stuff overhyped on social media.

That's the hypocrisy.
He became a star because he was fast tracked and got n number of chances to prove himself.
And now he himself doesn't give people proper run.