Prithvi Shaw and Hanuma Vihari included in India's 18-man squad; Shreyas Iyer to lead India A

"Virat Kohli (C), Dhawan, Rahul, Prithvi Shaw, Pujara, Rahane, Rishabh Pant (wk), Hardik Pandya, Ashwin, Jadeja, Bumrah, Ishant Sharma, Shami, Umesh Yadav, Shardul Thakur, Karun Nair, Dinesh Karthik (wk), Hanuma Vihari"

• Shrudul could have been replaced by Siraj, who has pace  
  • Nair is a question mark. I am not sure about his chances of making it in to the 11 
  • Should have kept Kuldeep 
  • Karthik has remained as a WK 
8 minutes ago, Lannister said:

What's the point of Vihari when Nair is there? Why did they select Nair in the first place then? 

I think they are looking at vihari as pujara replacement, i doubt that innigs of pujara wud have given anyone much confidence and has been not gr8 in overseas to

Nair is more of looked as rahane replacement or no.6 

Just now, zen said:

"Virat Kohli (C), Dhawan, Rahul, Prithvi Shaw, Pujara, Rahane, Rishabh Pant (wk), Hardik Pandya, Ashwin, Jadeja, Bumrah, Ishant Sharma, Shami, Umesh Yadav, Shardul Thakur, Karun Nair, Dinesh Karthik (wk), Hanuma Vihari"

• Shrudul could have been replaced by Siraj, who has pace  
  • Nair is a question mark. I am not sure about his chances of making it in to the 11 
  • Should have kept Kuldeep 
  • Karthik has remained as a WK 

but kuldeep is even struggling to grip the duke ball, he wnt get a chance with jadeja in the wings

Good thing he is going back n playing four days game against Australia- A

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

No Siraj   !

Very very poor decision !   Could have been added as a 19th man even.

Unless they felt that he has no realistic chance of playing ... and it would do him good to perform for India-B in the 50-over Quadrangular series and get in the 50-over team.

I just hope selectors give a break to him in test 15 before AUS series . I think he will be good for AUS tour.    

1 minute ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

but kuldeep is even struggling to grip the duke ball, he wnt get a chance with jadeja in the wings

Good thing he is going back n playing four days game against Australia- A

Having watched tons of LAS bowlers like Shastri, Maninder, Raju, Joshi, Karthik, etc., I am not too confident about their chances overseas. They are usually good when they have to pitch the ball in the rough areas and let the pitch do the rest  .... Bedi was probably an exception and is therefore rightly rated high .... Don't know much about Doshi .... I care for SR more than ER in tests 

14 minutes ago, sarcastic said:

They could have done it right from test 1 by having him along with Nair. Shaw is in since Vijay is out. Makes sense here but not with Vihari though!

they already had 18-member squad. How many more could they have selected?

1 minute ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

I think they are looking at vihari as pujara replacement, i doubt that innigs of pujara wud have given anyone much confidence and has been not gr8 in overseas to

Nair is more of looked as rahane replacement or no.6 

Since when did Nair is considered to be only a backup player for Rahane? He can also bat at #3. This is not the right approach by the selectors. If they wanted Vihari in the first place, then they shouldn't have gone for Nair. It just creates more confusion. 

4 minutes ago, zen said:

Having watched tons of LAS bowlers like Shastri, Maninder, Raju, Joshi, Karthik, etc., I am not too confident about their chances overseas. They are usually good when they have to pitch the ball in the rough areas and let the pitch do the rest  .... Bedi was probably an exception and is therefore rightly rated high .... Don't know much about Doshi .... I care for SR more than ER in tests 

agreed but kuldeep effectiveness is an after thoughts when he is even struggling to grip the ball 

Im never up for jadeja overseas

Just now, Lannister said:

Since when did Nair is considered to be only a backup player for Rahane? He can also bat at #3. This is not the right approach by the selectors. If they wanted Vihari in the first place, then they shouldn't have gone for Nair. It just creates more confusion. 

he is considered as no 5 n 6 .....n rahane was struggling for long so a backup i always prepared

Nair technique at 3 is to loose 

Ashwin has been bowling ok since the first test so would not have minded giving Kuldeep another go. Lord was not the venue where Kuldeep should have been played 

Bowlers:

• Pace: Shami (gets a week's break), Bumrah and Ishant / Yadav
  • Spinner: Ashwin (gets a week to recover) / Kuldeep 
  • AR: Pandya
Edited by zen
5 minutes ago, PSB_Zone said:

Ashwin is already injured, so only jadega the lone spinner.. whats the point in droppoing kuldeep?

What if the pitch for next test assist the spinner and ashwin is injured

next test is 8 days later.  they will assess ashwin.  if not fit, they might ask for replacement.  Kuldeep anyway is a big risk even if Ashwin is injured.