Pathetic middle order is an understatement

Laaloo

4 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Karthik has been poor in the past but with recent t20 performance, he deserves his chance a bit. Yes it wa sin t20 and yes it was against okayish bowler, but not everyone can do what Karthik did. I will give him this series. I will though play Rahul ahead. at no 3. 

Also, Karthik is batting better than Dhoni,  so him there in middle order can help us for this particular series as we do not have Kohli who has been vital for us all these years in the middle.

We have limted options as per the squad picked and going by that squad my order against Afghanistan would be:

Rohit

Dhawan

Rahul

Manish

Karthik(WK)

Karthik as a pure bat does not make sense. At his best, he gets the team 30 runs.That is not good enough for a pure batsman place.

There are better options for pure batsman .He is there to make dhoni feel secure about his place.

This dhoni and his bloody insecurity is costing us two team places.

Edited by beetle
37 minutes ago, The Dark Horse said:

Unlike you, I'm not talking out of my rear end. These stats do not include the Asia cup.

Screenshot_2018_09_18_12_43_23.png

Man stats are not everything. If we go by stats to judge player and not take in to account potential and skill of a batsmen and bowlers for a long term option then we don't need selectors, coaches and mentors/talent scouts, coz computer can do that job much better and faster manner. Stats are important aspect to judge capability but it's not all, you also need to see impact, SR and potential to win game singlehandedly. Yesterday was classic example though rohit and dhwan set e platform and team was cruising towards victory at more than 6 run an over still rayadu was playing at 50 Sr in most part of his inning and Karthik was hovering at 70 Sr and they were unable to rotate strike against FZ and Malik bowling. Now imagine a scenario if we had to chase 250 and Pakistan were bowling there main bowlers and not part timer, do u think you can back this middle order to win anything more than 250. Now as they have boosted their average as outcome of the match was already decided they ll continue to ride on that and might play wc even, but let me tell you we are never gonna lift wc with a middle order of rayadu,Karthik and dhoni.

2 minutes ago, raki05 said:

Man stats are not everything. If we go by stats to judge player and not take in to account potential and skill of a batsmen and bowlers for a long term option then we don't need selectors, coaches and mentors/talent scouts, coz computer can do that job much better and faster manner. Stats are important aspect to judge capability but it's not all, you also need to see impact, SR and potential to win game singlehandedly. Yesterday was classic example though rohit and dhwan set e platform and team was cruising towards victory at more than 6 run an over still rayadu was playing at 50 Sr in most part of his inning and Karthik was hovering at 70 Sr and they were unable to rotate strike against FZ and Malik bowling. Now imagine a scenario if we had to chase 250 and Pakistan were bowling there main bowlers and not part timer, do u think you can back this middle order to win anything more than 250. Now as they have boosted their average as outcome of the match was already decided they ll continue to ride on that and might play wc even, but let me tell you we are never gonna lift wc with a middle order of rayadu,Karthik and dhoni.

If you have observed Karthik's innings over the last year, he has done pretty well inspite of being in and out of the team. I have, and that's why I'm defending. When he fails, kick him out of the team, I don't have any issues. 

8 minutes ago, The Dark Horse said:

If you have observed Karthik's innings over the last year, he has done pretty well inspite of being in and out of the team. I have, and that's why I'm defending. When he fails, kick him out of the team, I don't have any issues. 

Rohit owes it to  KKD lol. He saved his ass for his stupid batting order in the final. So he will give him some more chances. But my problem is playing him and Dhoni together.

1 hour ago, beetle said:

Karthik as a pure bat does not make sense. At his best, he gets the team 30 runs.That is not good enough for a pure batsman place.

There are better options for pure batsman .He is there to make dhoni feel secure about his place.

This dhoni and his bloody insecurity is costing us two team places.

Yaar other batsman in the squad ka naam toh dekho - Rayudu and Pandey are the only other options in this asia cup squad. So based on that I pick Karthik as I feel he is better than Rayudu and someone who I trust more than Rayudu.

Anyways with Kohli coming back, I won’t take any of them. I have said long before I wanted Shubman Gill or someone drafted in by now so we could get some new players ready.

ideally it would be nice to see one youngester in the line up like Shubman. 

A line up like this could be brilliant. Order can change

Rohit

Dhawan

Kohli

Rahul

Gill/Krunal/Nitish 

Pant

Pandya

You have lot of firepower there whch is very much needed in todays game at the death.

Also Pant can be used as an opener and Rahul can play at 3 also if required.

With the likes of Rayudu,DK,jadhav and dhoni what did you expect? We shouldn't even have been chasing this much if it weren't for dhoni's dropped catch. Our middle order has been held together by Kohli for way too long. Hopefully the U19 batch of Shaw,Gill and Kalra can step up. I know Manish Pandey and Rahul haven't really set the world on fire but they are better than DK and Rayudu for sure. Atleast I wanna see them against BD.

Cant do anything on this series. Will have to deal with them. But for WC, I don't think Rayudu or DK will be starting, provided they are selected in the squad.

Our main problem for middle order is Dhoni is going nowhere and he will be slotted in no.5. His batting esp against slow bowlers has regressed a lot and this is major disadvantage. To counter this, Virat should bat at no.4. This will have its own advantages.

1. This will mean KL Rahul to play at No 3, which means he wont be slotted in the middle order

2. Kohli can compensate Dhoni's slow batting at No5, by rotating the strike or making quick doubles. He is better in this aspect than anyone else in the team. Also, he wont panic by Dhoni's slowness and play mad shot like others.

3. This might allow Kohli to play in the death overs more often and he is probably only middle order bat from our team who can score ultra quick runs at death.

4. Kohli has a stellar record in No 4 as well, with 7 tons from 37 innings with 59 avg, 90 SR.

I expect this will be our batting lineup XI in WC

Rohit

Dhawan

Rahul

Kohli

Dhoni

Jadav

Pandya

+ 4 bowlers 

11 hours ago, The Dark Horse said:

Screenshot_2018_09_18_12_43_23.png

Buddy,  one thing that these stats show is that ... no batsman has been allowed to settle in as the No.4. This is affecting their performance.

Such small sample sizes don't really tell us a lot and can change very quickly. Further,   Karthick has a good average but a low SR.

I don't mind Karthick in the squad, as we need a backup keeper batsman.  But someone must be allowed to settle in the No.4 position and so many batters should not be tried. This is affecting their confidence.

I would prefer to try Rahul at No.4 for 10 matches on the trot , as his ceiling seems to be the highest.  He can absolutely destroy opponents on his day.

If he fails then we can try Karthick for 8 to 10 matches.  We have 24 matches till the World Cup .

Edited by express bowling
2 hours ago, express bowling said:

Buddy,  one thing that these stats show is that ... no batsman has been allowed to settle in as the No.4. This is affecting their performance.

Such small sample sizes don't really tell us a lot and can change very quickly. Further,   Karthick has a good average but a low SR.

I don't mind Karthick in the squad, as we need a backup keeper batsman.  But someone must be allowed to settle in the No.4 position and so many batters should not be tried. This is affecting their confidence.

I would prefer to try Rahul at No.4 for 10 matches on the trot , as his ceiling seems to be the highest.  He can absolutely destroy opponents in his day.

If he fails then we can try Karthick for 8 to 10 matches.  We have 24 matches till the World Cup .

Fair enough..your points are right.