Dhoni is a shadow of his former self as a batsman - drop him or keep him?

Dil Dil India

Does Dhoni's keeping/input/experience/intangibles make up for his (lack of) batting?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Does Dhoni make up with his keeping and intangibles for his batting?

• Yes
    • No
    • Difficult to say, but too close to the WC to drop him

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/20/2018 at 09:52 PM

2 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

He wnt be dropped easily, specially when half team is in awww of Mahi bhai

Kohli ka adha kaam wo krta

Ab to shastri ka bhi coaching ka adha kaam krne laga hai

Its better to look for way to improve his game, drop to nhin hone wala ........ hahakar much jayega public men

Yesterday was a chance to sent him up and ask him to go play aggressively, rayudu aur dk ko mil gyi na practice pehle match

Now the day dhoni will get batting we ll b under pressure, wkts falling on other end . He already looks under self doubts .....he ll go in his shell 

All this drama that kohli and team management prefer experience than youth is only to shut critics who endorse for younger player. Once dhoni ll be kicked out all these Teja , Data type noobs would also be kicked out. Just to entertain this old man they are keeping other 2-3  mediocre bunch in the team and that's the issue of playing dhoni.

Edited by raki05
Just now, raki05 said:

All this drama that kohli and team management prefer experience than youth is only to shut critics who endorse for younger player. Once dhoni ll be kicked out all these Teja , Data type noobswhen would also be kicked out. Just to entertain this old man they are keeping other 2-3  mediocre bunch in the team and that's the issue of playing dhoni.

see that will happen obv coz we gonna get a bashing in WC  and then it will be chaos 

1 hour ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Dhoni is kinda like phoenix.
He comes back even stronger and beats you down

The only thing Dhoni is beating down these days is his own superb legacy.

During 2005 to 2011, everyone was a Dhoni fan.  A person who could do no wrong, an entertainer, an achiever and loved by all.  Many of the people who dislike him now were some of his biggest supporters during that time.

He is still very popular among casual cricket watchers ( who watch 2 to 5 matches per year and are huge in number ) ... but his legacy is going down among ex-cricketers and regular followers of cricket.

What is the great man gaining by playing on  ?  ...  he has achieved everything he possibly could as a cricket player.

5 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

I doubt they will drop him. There is a reason the team wants him. He is doing proxy captaincy. So both Kohli and Rohit will want him around.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/24717556/run-bowl-worry-being-hit

This is excerpts from Chahal's interview.

What is MS Dhoni's role in plotting these dismissals? He's very vocal on the stump mic.
When Kuldeep and I bowl, he tells us very early how the wicket is behaving. He also tells us what the batsman is trying to do. So that kind of gives you an idea even before you bowl, instead of me finding out after bowling two or three overs. He's been captain, he's played for so many years and has a wealth of experience. He watches the batsmen closely. He's a batsman too, and knows what it is to play on such surfaces. Sometimes when I have a plan that is different to what he thinks, we discuss it. It's not like he rejects our plan. Then we formulate a plan B.

The only way to find out whether this guidance is invaluable ...   is to rest Dhoni for a couple of series and see how Kuldeep and Chahal perform.

All this drama that kohli and team management prefer experience than youth is only to shut critics who endorse for younger player. Once dhoni ll be kicked out all these Teja , Data type noobs would also be kicked out. Just to entertain this old man they are keeping other 2-3  mediocre bunch in the team and that's the issue of playing dhoni.

Not necessarily
Dhoni is such a Machiavellian Marvel that he can do anything

Sent from my SM-A710F using Tapatalk

The only thing Dhoni is beating down these days is his own superb legacy.

During 2005 to 2011, everyone was a Dhoni fan.  A person who could do no wrong, an entertainer, an achiever and loved by all.  Many of the people who dislike him now were some of his biggest supporters during that time.

He is still very popular among casual cricket watchers ( who watch 2 to 5 matches per year and are huge in number ) ... but his legacy is going down among ex-cricketers and regular followers of cricket.

What is the great man gaining by playing on  ?  ...  he has achieved everything he possibly could as a cricket player.

IKR.
Casual Fans are crazy about him -and even regular followers rarely see bad in him

Dhoni is the last cricketer to have emotional connect with people at mass level- He's a Legend.
Kohli was on his way but squandered it.
Indian cricket never really recovered from Sachin's retirement and Dhoni's retirement will be another blow.
People will never get attached to Pant/Kisaan like the way they did to Dhoni.

I know we want him dropped -but there are a lot of Monetary calculations going on.

Even if he is not performing, he is playing the role of semi-captain and coach :cantstop:

How can you drop such a player? lol

But on a serious note, his WK is not as sharp as it used to be. These days I can actually see his stumpings compared to before where my eyes couldn't comprehend what just happened without seeing a replay. He was lightning fast but age is doing a number on his body. Both batting and stumpings is in a decline. Since Dhoni was always more hand/eye coordinated player and less to do with skill, his batting is not helping.

@Express Bowling
Sports is ultimately about stars but abroad- people are more attached to teams and the particular sport than a player and hence will prefer the best player

However-Indian cricket is part about Personality cults and mostly about money
Now , Indians don't exactly love cricket - they are also about image and are very judgemental.
That's why quieter players like Boobie are liked while Hardik gets dissed
Dhoni was a rebel in a time when cricketers used to be clean cut stoic type - and he then used the initial popularity to create a personality cult around him.
Kohli squandered his chance and he himself is one of the reasons loads actually dislike cricketers over other athletes
They have lost the hard working aura of an athlete in this country.

My friend's uncle is in marketing- he tells me how cricketers including Kohli are failing to gain In the market apart from Dhoni, Dravid and Ganguly.

Pant might be a better player RN but he will never gain Dhoni's cult status.
Infact - I have a gut feeling he'll go down as an insignificant person bogged down by too much expectations.

1 hour ago, Moochad said:

If Dhoni is our finisher, we are finished!

Since he is an undroppable player, he should be pushed into the middle order at 4 where his took-took doesn't hurt as much and then he can keep his strike rate up by running quick singles. 

Also, if we are playing DK, then he should give up the gloves. That should help his batting.

He will be used as a floater maybe next year though it's amazing to see 2 people who voted  in favor of him @speedheat and @Rasgulla arch rivals on the same page must be greatest moment of ICF :phehe::p:

Edited by Switchblade