Do Kuldeep and Chahal need each other to be successful?

Global.Baba

I hear people asking for a finger spinner like Krunal or Sundar or even Jadeja to replace one of them especially Chahal in some matches to strengthen the lower order, However I think just playing 1 in stead of both will reduce their effectiveness.

Chahal’s strength is drift,flight,slow pace that perfectly complements the mystery that comes

with Kuldeep’s chinaman bowling. If players fail

to pick Kuldeep they tend to overattack Chahal which makes Chahal effective. If you play Chahal+ Finger spinner  that is asking for disaster.Kuldeep+ finger spinner means batsmen can play out Kuldeep and just milk the finger spinner for runs because most finer spinners we have are darters Anyways.

Unless it is a spin friendly track like today where 3 spinners might come into play, I don’t think there is space for a finger spinner in our attack.

This is international cricket, not buy 1 get 1 offer forced upon customers....if they need each other to succeed probably not fit for the travails of the game at the highest level. Cricket doesn't work that way, should be good enough and have the confidence to get things done by oneself. Both are 1D, both aren't mentally the toughest out there, they have done nothing to earn this privilege. Kuly over Chahal for me, we won't need the duo on Aussie pitches next year, one will suffice.

Edited by Gollum
8 hours ago, SecondSlip said:

BUMP! 

Absolute criminal to have broken this partnership post-world cup for bits and pieces cricketers like Jadeja & Sundar! 

We have lost our ability to take wickets in the middle overs ever since they dropped Kuldeep for no reason! 

@ShoonyaSifar

Kuldeep had a terrible IPL followed by a so-so World cup and needed a break. But instead of bringing back Jaddu and other finger spinners, they should have tried a wrist spinner like Rahul Chahar or Shreyas Gopal. They did have Rahul in the squad for one or two series, I don't know why he didn't get any backing. For T20, looking for bowlers who can also bat a bit is overkill IMO. If one among the big 3 can't score big, if 4, 5 and 6 don't score much, then the match is as good as lost anyway. What good is a few extra runs when the bowling is weak? Instead of looking for bowlers who can bat, they should give more batting time to batsmen besides the big 3. The Dube experiment yesterday was a good step in that direction, though not necessarily with choice of player. But at-least they are finally trying something new. 

Why do we need a 8th batsman in T20s ?

If 7 batters can't bat for 20 overs then we deserve to lose.

8 to 11 should be picked based on their wicket taking and other bowling abilities.

I would drop one of Kuldeep and Chahal only if I am choosing 3 front-line pacers based on conditions / pitch.  ( Not if both Bhuvi and Chahal are 2 of the 3 frontline pacers ) 

36 minutes ago, express bowling said:

8 to 11 should be picked based on their wicket taking and other bowling abilities.

I would drop one of Kuldeep and Chahal only if I am choosing 3 front-line pacers based on conditions / pitch.  ( Not if both Bhuvi and Chahal are 2 of the 3 frontline pacers ) 

IMO you need to go with three fast bowlers plus fast bowling allrounder and two spinners.This is a must for both odis and t20s.How they fit all of them is a puzzle.

20 minutes ago, putrevus said:

IMO you need to go with three fast bowlers plus fast bowling allrounder and two spinners.This is a must for both odis and t20s.How they fit all of them is a puzzle.

Hardik at 6 ... big hitter cum good spinner at 7

Rahul Chahar and Washington Sundar have the potential.

Edited by express bowling
59 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Kuldeep and Chahal are two of our most attacking LOI bowlers since their debut (at par or a shade below Bumrah). If at all the team has to play defensive pacers like Bhuvi and Chahar (and Jadeja and Sundar), it’s even more imperative that KulCha are in the team to take care of middle overs where taking wickets has been very difficult for us.

A 2/40 is far better return in LOI middle overs than 0/30. But our captain fool thinks otherwise. He’s an expert at botching up team selections (SA, Eng, 2019 WC) and will do so again before 2020 T20 WC.

38 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Kuldeep and Chahal are two of our most attacking LOI bowlers since their debut (at par or a shade below Bumrah). If at all the team has to play defensive pacers like Bhuvi and Chahar (and Jadeja and Sundar), it’s even more imperative that KulCha are in the team to take care of middle overs where taking wickets has been very difficult for us.

A 2/40 is far better return in LOI middle overs than 0/30. But our captain fool thinks otherwise. He’s an expert at botching up team selections (SA, Eng, 2019 WC) and will do so again before 2020 T20 WC.

I am a big believer in having all-condition wicket taking bowlers.

In more than 90% of the cases in the last 40 years, such bowlers have been  ...

--- Skilful fast bowlers or

--- Skilful tall fast-medium bounce bowlers or

--- Skilful wrist spinners who can turn the ball

We have 3 such bowlers in Bumrah, Kuldeep and Chahal in T20Is

And we have 4 such bowlers in Bumrah, Shami, Kuldeep and Chahal in ODIs.

We should play all of them in every important match ( unless conditions are extremely favourable for seam bowling )

Edited by express bowling
40 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Hardik at 6 ... big hitter cum good spinner at 7

Rahul Chahar and Washington Sundar have the potential.

Sundar, I am not sold he will work in odis,we don't have power hitters in system nor in the team.Bowling has to be strength for this team.

1 minute ago, putrevus said:

Sundar, I am not sold he will work in odis,we don't have power hitters in system nor in the team.Bowling has to be strength for this team.

Sundar is young and a work in progress, as is Rahul Chahar.  They will evolve and develop if they have the temperament.

We should try to develop both. Sundar is a better batsman and R.Chahar a better bowler.

10 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Sundar is young and a work in progress, as is Rahul Chahar.  They will evolve and develop if they have the temperament.

We should try to develop both. Sundar is a better batsman and R.Chahar a better bowler.

Guy like Ashwin who is very good bowler has not worked for India in Lois/T20s.Personally I would not want to waste my time on Sundar unless he has ability to become top order batsman who can bowl.I don't know why he is playing and opening the bowling  for India.

Chahar is someone I would want  to be developed at rapid pace.

4 hours ago, express bowling said:

Yea makes no sense specially when Rohit n Kohli game plan is to bat till end 

In Wc 2016 most game lower middle order wasnt getting a chance to bat

I was checking Hardik stats - he has played 40+ games and gotten a chance to bat in just 25 innings and that to not even 9 balls per innings on avg. Which means lower order isnt getting to bat most days .

Chahar n bhuvi are part of our t20 plans and they both can bat so if we add more that will make batting till 9-10 which is to much