Prithvi Shaw should be India’s first choice opener for Australia tour: Dilip Vengsarkar

21 minutes ago, sandeep said:

LMAO @coffee_rules how about you post a counter argument to my words instead of cowardly downvoting it.  

Didn't know trolling would downvote! I thought it was removed. In any case,  Prithvi Shaw is on a trial role. VJ should be selected back when he proves, while Rahul is on his last wheels. Being a respected selector, he should not give out statements like Shaw is automatic choice for a series in SENA. His voice can influence the current coach (but, he's always under influence :phehe:) and the brainless kaptaan in selection matters, would pick him and DHawan over others. Shaw gets to go as backup opener and VJ/Rahul will get a second chance. That is the norm followed unless you are from Mumbai lobby. That is a shameless lobbying effort. This kind of attitude is shown only by Mumbai lobby. Gavaskar was miffed that Rahane was dropped for Rahul in ODIs and was sarcastic Rahane should have tattoos. Nobody from Karnataka claimed that Nair should be automatically selected over RSharma after his 300 and was promptly dropped the next match,  But Mumbai lobby claims entitlement. Shaw is talented and should be selected, obviously, but all this automatic choice business based on his debut 100 is a hype creation, which might affect Shaw more than anybody else. Let the kid settle down. 

Edited by coffee_rules

Shaw looks like an amazing prospect to me.

He usually plays the ball under his eyes ...  half the battle won.  Has a lot more hittable balls without slogging, than most batsmen.  Good timing and power.  Can hit multiple strokes off the same ball.  Plays in the gaps.  Has hunger for runs looking at his FC career and A-team games.  Being a good back-foot player bodes well against quick bowling.

A little bit of exuberance of youth is there ... attempting a few risky shots ... but he is just 18.  He will learn.

Edited by express bowling

Prithvi Shaw scores a 70 , following his 134. At the age of 18 he is making the 26 years old Rahul look like a new comer. The difference of form, the advantage of lesser age and longer career ahead as well as talent is putting him much ahead now as far as selection between him and Rahul goes in test cricket. It is good that the youngsters are performing better than seniors and putting severe pressure on them to perform or lose their place in squad. 

30 minutes ago, putrevus said:

He is looking more and more like Sehwag. The high backlift, offside play . How will he do against extreme pace or seam movement is yet to be seen.

Shaw has much better and more decisive footwork against pacers  compared to Sehwag.

And he was hitting 150 k Shannon Gabriel with ease in both matches.

On 10/5/2018 at 12:31 PM, gakgupta said:

I respect Dilip's view...

He was the one who was hell-bent on pursuing with Kohli, when he was young.....Now we know, what kohli has done....

This guy has the eye for talent...

I second this .. where is the lobby here. Enough of creating a mysterious mafiosi.

Rahane I agree.. but the he has been our best test bat overseas for a duration but flattered to deceive . Rohit though a ftb is a treat when in full flow. He has scored 3 200s no joke.

I just feel as a nation we are so insecure that we create imaginary enemies and lobbies . Even I feel that way sometimes , but when you look at vengsarkars comments as a elite cricketer it makes a lot of sense. Let us leave our regionalism aside . Felt a bit sad on reading this and painting everyone with suspect .I just feel this negativity surreptitiously builds on all of us without our knowledge and let us avoid it if feasible and try to look at it objectively.

Sorry for the rant.

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

I know thats why I said it is yet to be seen. Sehwag was fine  against fast bowlers in subcontinent.Sehwag was a beast against spin.

Sehwag was very effective against pace bowling in Asia.

But I was talking about decisive footwork ahainst pace ... and not effectiveness.

Shaw has very decisive footwork against pace bowling ... both front foot and back foot.  This bodes well for potential effectiveness everywhere.

On 10/5/2018 at 11:30 AM, coffee_rules said:

Something that other teams' players should learn how the Mumbai lobby operates, relentless plugging of it's players by their ex-cricketers. Rahul Dravid never goes around giving lip-service Rahul/Nair or Pandey as forcefully as Mumbai former players, it is nauseating sometimes. They feel that only their players are entitled to National service and rest all come secondary. On a pitch where even Jadeja scored a 100, he wants to showcase Shaw's talent. The same was to done to the Most tailunted player in recent times in the MO!

We know how shitty Bambis can be. No need to state the obvious.