Whether south india needs to ban chapathi , panipuri and pav bhaji as well ?

velu

8 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

You got married? Feels like yesterday when you got out of college and joined Samsung. 

Yeah mate. 7 years have flown so fast.

I have a 9 months old daughter too. 

Dont get as much time for myself but can't complain. Watching your baby grow up is priceless except some sleepless nights. :p:

7 minutes ago, Number said:

Yeah mate. 7 years have flown so fast.

I have a 9 months old daughter too. 

Dont get as much time for myself but can't complain. Watching your baby grow up is priceless except some sleepless nights. :p:

Good to know that. Indeed it has been long time. Somehow I always had this image of college fresher for you.

On 6/14/2019 at 7:21 AM, velu said:

a2b bangalore chat menu ..

m515-15591904415cef5ba90275f.jpg?w=1200

snacks menu ..

m515-15591904555cef5bb72a4e1.jpg?w=1200

and they dont have any south indian snacks .. they even have doklas but no south indian paniyaram , banana bajji , payasam :lol: 

wtf are those prices? I used to pay 2 rs  for masala puri. 

26 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Did you leave for US in the 80s and never came back. The only thing you can buy from 2 rs is a biscuit from a local tea shop. Even a beggar these days expect more.

I left in 2000,i have been back a few times but never tried street food .i still remember always getting 1 masala puri and 1 order of pani puri every week outside my college.

17 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

I left in 2000,i have been back a few times but never tried street food .i still remember always getting 1 masala puri and 1 order of pani puri every week outside my college.

I used to get full meals for 10 rs near my college and unlimited meals for 15 rs. This was in an aachi shop in an actual hut. There was also a mallu shop nearby which we used to call cheta kadai where 4 chapatis cost 10 rs. Those were the times. This was way better than any meals that Im getting outside now. Tea at college canteen was 2 rs. Coffee at Saravana Bhavan was 6 rs. That was considered expensive because of high quality. This was in 2000. It went up to 8 rs after a few years. When I moved back here from the US in 2012, it was 25 rs. Now its 30 rs. Are you in Dallas. Your name suggests so. I went to school there and worked there also.

20 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I used to get full meals for 10 rs near my college and unlimited meals for 15 rs. This was in an aachi shop in an actual hut. There was also a mallu shop nearby which we used to call cheta kadai where 4 chapatis cost 10 rs. Those were the times. This was way better than any meals that Im getting outside now. Tea at college canteen was 2 rs. Coffee at Saravana Bhavan was 6 rs. That was considered expensive because of high quality. This was in 2000. It went up to 8 rs after a few years. When I moved back here from the US in 2012, it was 25 rs. Now its 30 rs. Are you in Dallas. Your name suggests so. I went to school there and worked there also.

yes.i live in DFW area now,lived in the bay area for a few years but came back.

How different is the Sri Lankan food from the South Indian food? 

Can you believe it that in Pakistan no one knows what Dosa is? Actually we don't know even a single dish from the South India in Pakistan. 

Edited by Alam_dar

3 minutes ago, Alam_dar said:

How different is the Sri Lankan food from the South Indian food? 

Can you believe it that in Pakistan no one knows what Dosa is? Actually we don't know even a single dish from the South India in Pakistan. 

You guys are missing something real big. South Indian food and South Indian atyle cooked North Indian dishes are way way tastier.

47 minutes ago, mishra said:

You guys are missing something real big. South Indian food and South Indian atyle cooked North Indian dishes are way way tastier.

I feared the same, and you confirmed it now.  

In Karachi, normally one is able to get many Indian dishes due to the presence of immigrant families. But mostly they are North Indian dishes + Marathi Dishes from Bombay (due to Gujrati communities like Memon and Bohras too I think). But pure South Indian dishes are almost non-existent there too. 

Just like you get the South Indian food touch in North India, we in Pakistan get the Afghani cuisine touch. But Afghans eat only meat. There are hardly any famous vegetable or lentil dishes present in Afghan cuisine. 

We also have borders with Iran, but still Iranian food and culture is totally foreigner to us, just like the Chinese culture and food.  Actually no, Chinese dishes are indeed present in Pakistan, but with Pakistani flavours. 

@velu

How different is Sri Lankan cuisine from the South Indian one? 

From Nepal, North India has got Momos. Right? 

What other foreign dishes have become local in North/South India? 

Edited by Alam_dar

13 hours ago, Alam_dar said:

@velu

How different is Sri Lankan cuisine from the South Indian one? 

From Nepal, North India has got Momos. Right? 

What other foreign dishes have become local in North/South India? 

i think srilankan food is quite similar to kerala food ( + coastal tn  food )  minus the beef .. heavy on coconut and fish

they take boiled rice much like mallus .. i hate that rice :wall: 

few of the items like kothu paratta and ceylon paratta in south are imports from srilanka .. 

2 hours ago, beetle said:

????

Which ones?

I like the spices Southies add say to Biryani or even just to notmal curries. It tastes absolutely different in South Indian restaurants.

Its Like Hakka Noodle. The Hakka noodle Indian restaurant make is nowhere close to Chinese ones. Infact Indian can’t eat Chinese ones.

On 6/19/2019 at 10:59 AM, mishra said:

I like the spices Southies add say to Biryani or even just to notmal curries. It tastes absolutely different in South Indian restaurants.

in our hometown spice/masala we use is coriander powder + little red chilli powder mix .. and we add turmeric later