2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics buildup

Gollum

India’s German javelin coach Uwe Hohn slams Olympics preparation

The 58-year-old German, who is the only man to throw the javelin over 100 metres and the coach behind Indian star Neeraj Chopra's rise, said training for the Olympics was unplanned and diet not fit for elite athletes.

Before the Olympics, India’s track & field in usual disarray

Huge fan of Olympic wrestling, this ancient sport is so riveting and India has many contenders, most excited about the Freestyle events. Spending a lot of time watching docs, analyses, past matches, training etc.

Such a tough sport, they must sprint like ace sprinters 20-50 times per day, repeat basic gymnastics maneuvers, do cross-country running every week, marathons every month, match powerlifters in the weight room etc. just to be conditioned to get on the mat. If that isn't enough, sleep in garbage bags in the sauna, stop water intake 2 days before weigh-in, practice hungry every day, often compete with broken fingers/wrists/arms/femur(!!!!) and did I forget torn ACL......and carry a spit cup with them to lose saliva weight:omg:.

No other sport challenges you mentally/physically like wrestling. As the legendary Dan Gable said 'Once you've wrestled, everything in life is easy'. Telling you this, tennis/football/cricket, hell even rugby/hockey/basketball are sissy sports in comparison. 

Was never exposed to this sport at school/college level but I am sure USA based ICFers must have come across wrestling programs in their or their children's school/college system over there. Have always been in awe of combat sports/athletes, but wrestling is most engrossing since Indian representation at elite level is good, always have someone to cheer for. 

We aren't good at Greco-Roman (upper body based), contenders in multiple events in Freestyle (whole body comes in play).

Watch out for Bajrang Punia and Vinesh Phogat, both contenders for gold medal. Total mein we can win 3-4 medals. 

Edited by Gollum

Below is one of many wrestling camps for high school kids in the GOAT sporting nation.

USA sports system is so good. Proper middle/high school sports, full support of parents/teachers/peers, concept of student athletes, NCAA, access to best camps/gyms/trainers from a young age, $$$$, scholarships, top level analysis/research to give edge over competitors from other countries and an overall system of accountability..

Key is NCAA, no wonder Chinese are copying that to great success.  

India is 50 years behind, whatever we win in Tokyo will be despite the system. Can't sit on your asses for 70 years and then expect miracles once in 4 years. 

Edited by Gollum

We are expected to do well in shooting, archery but personally find them boring...if not for Indians in participation I would never bother to watch. Badminton is cool, boxing/wrestling dope, field hockey will provide max thrills and eventual heartbreak. Neeraj has a shot at bronze. 

But watch out for Mirabai Chanu, weightlifting is one of the easier sports to predict, no big surprises/upsets historically speaking. She can win silver/bronze...has second best performance this year (and 2019) behind a Chinese lifter in 48 kg category. After Malleswari (most underrated Indian athlete, gem of Telugu land @maniac) we have had a few elite weightlifters especially in women's side most famous being Kunjarani Devi. But Chanu is the brightest prospect of them all. 

Mirabai Chanu will be the only Indian Weightlifter at the Tokyo Olympics

On 7/4/2021 at 5:57 PM, Gollum said:

India predicted to win 17 medals as per Gracenote (Olympics analysts)

Tokyo Olympics Predictions:  What are the prediction?

• The United States is expected to win the most medals overall at Tokyo 2020. This would mark the seventh successive Summer Games during which the American team would have come out on top of the medal count competition.
    • After falling to 70 medals in 2016, China is expected to bounce back in Tokyo to cement second place on the Virtual Medal Table for the third successive Summer Olympics.
    • At this stage it is unclear which athletes will be able to compete under the Russian Olympic Committee banner in Tokyo. Competition data suggests that a battle for third place on the medal table is realistic for those athletes who are permitted to compete.
    • While Japan is expected to improve on its Rio 2016 medal total by over 40%, this increase is not likely enough for the host nation to genuinely challenge China for second place.
    • Along with Japan, the Netherlands head a group of National Olympic Committees, NOCs, who can expect to improve significantly on their 2016 medal totals.

Gracenote’s prediction for the top three countries on the Rio Olympics medal table turned out to be true, according to the Associated Press. Furthermore, Gracenote predicted eight of the top 10 medal winners correctly.

Virtual Medal Table 1-10

Screenshot-2021-06-03-at-3.21.56-PM.png

Biggest Medal Improvements-041421

LINK

India 17 medals?

Wont get more than 5. I hope I am proven wrong.

We have the players that have performed at the world level consistently well for double digit scores. Problem is at the Olympics pressure is huge and shooting Archery etc can be brutal if you lose your focus for one sec. No comebacks.

On 7/10/2021 at 5:33 PM, Gollum said:

But watch out for Mirabai Chanu, weightlifting is one of the easier sports to predict, no big surprises/upsets historically speaking. She can win silver/bronze...has second best performance this year (and 2019) behind a Chinese lifter in 48 kg category. After Malleswari (most underrated Indian athlete, gem of Telugu land @maniac) we have had a few elite weightlifters especially in women's side most famous being Kunjarani Devi. But Chanu is the brightest prospect of them all. 

Mirabai Chanu will be the only Indian Weightlifter at the Tokyo Olympics

Acumen

Legend Mirabai

16 hours ago, Singh bling said:

Kya umeed hai bhai log , kitne medal milenge

More than 6, probably less than 10. Was hoping we'd cross 10 but our shooters/archers are grade A chokers like Clown Loli. Still, hope they prove me wrong. 

Was very confident about weightlifting. Also confident in wrestling, 2 medals guarantee. Others are touch and go, won't stick my neck out. 

Have a good feeling about boxing, but fully expect refs to cheat. 

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

More than 6, probably less than 10. Was hoping we'd cross 10 but our shooters/archers are grade A chokers like Clown Loli. Still, hope they prove me wrong. 

Was very confident about weightlifting. Also confident in wrestling, 2 medals guarantee. Others are touch and go, won't stick my neck out. 

Have a good feeling about boxing, but fully expect refs to cheat. 

Hopefull we win 2 gold medals to make it to the top 50 :giggle: I don't think we have ever been there

Edit: we have been in top 30 when we won gold in hockey back in 1980

Edited by Real McCoy