Shubman Gill needs to be tried in test matches and ODIs

9 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I think you know it as well as I do that stats from the first 3 matches in one's career carry little meaning.

Im saying that a small sample but there is IPL as well . In IPL also he follows Rohit kohli footsteps of taking his time 

Forget sample he doesnt have that extra gear 

And young rookies don't have fully developed games. It took some time to develop the the Kohlis and Rohits of today.

Rohit always had the extra gear , it was dhawan n kohli who developed and still they arent dashers which is what we need. 

Id rather develop Pant as opener who brings a completely different dimension to this team 

With no WC round the corner, now is the time to develop rookies. Dhawan won't be there in WC 2023 and even Rohit may lose fitness and form. 

I dnt mind developing rookie but he shud bring something new to team,  no point having similar players . 

I dont mind someone like Samad coz he brings something new to this team....gill is similar version to Rohit and kohli and at this point a slower one . 

We want impact from that one opener slot  and as of now i dnt see him as a dasher , infact at this point he is slower then dhawan 

Devdutt does not play that fast at the start either. And neither is he on the cusp of a national team cap 

problem was his IPL side who was playing conservative cricket , i hve seen him in domestic he is blessed with that extra gear surely needs to develop but thats why im not giving his name immediate

Extra gears often come after a couple of seasons for the more classic players. We need to give him time 

Disagree - some have it some dont. 

Rohit, yuvi, dhoni, pant , shaw, YP, HP, sehwag  had it....they took it to next level which makes them even more dangerous. Kohli developed like a freak but still he doesnt have extra gear that Rohit has 

I don't think a team like India will play Jaddu at 4. We are not that experimental

agree we are conservative but he ll be huge help

4 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Im saying that a small sample but there is IPL as well . In IPL also he follows Rohit kohli footsteps of taking his time 

Forget sample he doesnt have that extra gear 

Rohit always had the extra gear , it was dhawan n kohli who developed and still they arent dashers which is what we need. 

Id rather develop Pant as opener who brings a completely different dimension to this team 

I dnt mind developing rookie but he shud bring something new to team,  no point having similar players

I dont mind someone like Samad coz he brings something new to this team....gill is similar version to Rohit and kohli and at this point a slower one . 

We want impact from that one opener slot  and as of now i dnt see him as a dasher , infact at this point he is slower then dhawan 

problem was his IPL side who was playing conservative cricket , i hve seen him in domestic he is blessed with that extra gear surely needs to develop but thats why im not giving his name immediate

Disagree - some have it some dont. 

Rohit, yuvi, dhoni, pant , shaw, YP, HP, sehwag  had it....they took it to next level which makes them even more dangerous. Kohli developed like a freak but still he doesnt have extra gear that Rohit has 

You know what new quality Gill brings to the table as an ODI opener ?

Ability to play good quality pace bowling.

India has not adopted the one dashing opener model in ODIs ... but has been very consistent in ODIs, especially in 2018 and 2019. Scoring runs has not been an issue. We won all matches WC 19 before the knockout loss. Nowadays, fields cannot be spread out fully and runs can be scored at any stage. The 1990s and 2000s model, of score as much as you can in the first 10, is not essential.

What has been our issue in ODIs ?

Losing the entire top order the moment there has been even slightly helpful conditions for pacers. And this has happened in important matches starting from CT 17 final.

We need atleast 2 good quality batsmen in the top 3, who can play test match quality fast bowling.

Gill and Kohli, in the top 3, will achieve this.

And Gill has the ability to hit pacers for big 6s too. He can be the complete package as an ODI opener after he plays one year of ODI cricket.

Edited by express bowling

This innings of 91 off 146 balls by Gill ... against Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood and Lyon ... on a 5th day Gabba pitch with cracks opening up and the pitch providing a lot of pace, bounce and some uneven bounce ... is one of the finest innings we have seen in a test match.

The sheer mental pressure of having to survive for 100 overs on the last day, is not easy for a veteran, let alone a rookie.

And he had to contend with a vicious bouncer barrage when Pujara was hit 4 or 5 times ... but Gill pulled and upper cut many of those bouncers for 6s and 4s.

Both his ability as well as his temperament stand out.

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

Agarkar saying that he is surprised that Gill had to wait so long for a debut. He looked ready even a year back.

I feel the same too. You don't keep superlative talent like Gill and Pant on the bench.

If I am not mistaken Captain Kohli said sometime back that the youngsters aren't quite ready to handle rigours of international cricket.

4 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Agarkar saying that he is surprised that Gill had to wait so long for a debut. He looked ready even a year back.

I feel the same too. You don't keep superlative talent like Gill and Pant on the bench.

Siraj also

Siraj should have been played after his performance in A games.He is selected 2 years late

My only worry is his game vs swing looking at the dismissals and getting caught is slips . For SC, AUS , WI , SA  his game ticks almost all boxes .

They may try to trap him in leg trap with short stuff but guy is smarter . he does not attack every short ball . Once they are  little tired or they do not have enough real pace , 

he can punish them hard as he has fine pull shot .

I would like to see him giving the first spell to Archer in the coming eng series without attacking short balls , he will  have very good chance of making good runs later on .  

Before the england tour in Eng ,  if he does make some refinement to tackle swing , he should  have reasonable England tour .

Thinking about some of the indian players who had success in Eng, most of them played on the front and made runs - esp Vengsarkar , Rahul Dravid.

Being a tall guy he has a good reach  to meet balls before they start swinging big  esp vs Jimmy , Curran  & even Broad. Since he is good vs bounce he can even stay out of the crease and face them . For Archer & Wood he can adapt his normal stance .

Since Eng does not provide the same bounce as AUS , even front put push should work fine in ENg which caused dismissals in Aus due to balls bouncing higher from length & carrying edges to slips.  

Edited by prudent_kreeda