Time to admit NZ is a darn good team and a difficult match-up for us

Gollum

31 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Shami, Vijay

Ash, Jaddu, Rahul, Ishant played with injury, check how many players missed IPL that year. 

Vijay, Rahul did very well in that series - they were batting mainstays along with Pujara although Vijay did go for some surgery after the series (allowing that fraud test opener Dhawan a way back). Ash, Jaddu bowled without any obvious discomfort AFAIK. Ishant too did OK (altho that was Ishant 1.0 pre-Gillespie version), and he, Umesh, Bhuvi did all right in that series.

All in all, we are at full strength, and Aus gave us a good scare - Smith batted out of this world, 'brain fade' and all.  So no, I don't buy we were restricted by 'injuries' theory.  

6 minutes ago, Cricwala said:

Vijay, Rahul did very well in that series - they were batting mainstays along with Pujara although Vijay did go for some surgery after the series (allowing that fraud test opener Dhawan a way back). Ash, Jaddu bowled without any obvious discomfort AFAIK. Ishant too did OK (altho that was Ishant 1.0 pre-Gillespie version), and he, Umesh, Bhuvi did all right in that series.

All in all, we are at full strength, and Aus gave us a good scare - Smith batted out of this world, 'brain fade' and all.  So no, I don't buy we were restricted by 'injuries' theory.  

Bhai, Vijay didn't play the full series, we had to slot in Mukund I remember. Rahul did well but was limited by a shoulder injury. Ash had a painful episode of sports hernia, Ishant too had injury. Many played despite injuries/niggles and missed IPL soon after which they never do :phehe:

We were very clutch that series, but not at the peak of our powers like against NZ/Eng in 2016.

Edited by Gollum

@sandeep feel less bad about the SF exit now? In those conditions? Difficult opponent for us, when it is a match-up issue difference in strength becomes less important..like baby Nadal's top-spin assault on peak Federer's OHBH whcih decided many a match even off clay in the 2005-09 period. We are so poor against swing right now that invariably our top order will collapse against Boult/Southee. 

1 minute ago, SRT100 said:

NZ at best are a good average Test team.

Its just that India are a very very ordinary team away from home.

Disagree with this assessment. NZ have been very poor in Australia and England where India have won at least a game if not more. 

We are not No.1 without a good reason. Today’s loss is stinging, but doesn’t make them a great side. At least records don’t agree.

10 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

NZ at best are a good average Test team.

Its just that India are a very very ordinary team away from home.

NZ is a good side, in their AT XI, Kane, Taylor, Boult, Watling will walk in. In the future maybe even Latham. 

Edited by Gollum
21 hours ago, Gollum said:

NZ is a good side, in their AT XI, Kane, Taylor, Boult, Watling will walk in. In the future maybe even Latham. 

Sorry mate.

NZ is not a good side. Its just that India is a much worse side.

NZ just recently was blown apart by Australia in Australia.

21 hours ago, Adi_91 said:

Disagree with this assessment. NZ have been very poor in Australia and England where India have won at least a game if not more. 

We are not No.1 without a good reason. Today’s loss is stinging, but doesn’t make them a great side. At least records don’t agree.

Did you even read my comment?

I said NZ are average. Which makes our performance against them pathetic.

21 hours ago, bhakum20 said:

2 test series makes it difficult to come back, it’s not fair to the (few) fans. BCCI should not allow team to tour SENA for anything less than 3 tests and 2-3 tour games. However since money >> cricket this won’t happen

There was absolutely zero need to play 3 ODIs this tour.

The 5 T20s was plenty and should have been followed by a proper 3 Test series.

I get frustrated when I know more than both Indian and NZ cricket boards combined.

*I know the reason is totally linked to money for having the 3 ODIs. It doesnt make it right. The series was totally meaningless especially in a T20 World Cup year.

Only good thing coming out of this tour for me is I have made peace with our WC SF exit, both that SF and F were played in conditions closer to red ball cricket in NZ. In such conditions NZ will beat us 9/10 times no matter what XI we field. We can't play swing or seam, our bowlers aren't as good as Boult/Southee in these conditions, nothing more to add really.

Why is this not a time to admit that the Indian team is overrated and has over hyped players . New Zealand is good but not that great in the batting department. Our bowlers could have bowled them out twice in a test match if there were some runs on the board.

This was a disaster as far as the batting unit is concerned for India.