Time to admit NZ is a darn good team and a difficult match-up for us

Gollum

Too much disappointment and frustration. Dunno why because ODI format isn't important at all the next 2 years. I am fine with losses as long as youngsters are given opportunities. 

NZ has been going through a rough patch for a few months now, so maybe expectations were higher. We won the T20 series convincingly more because of their bottling than anything special by us. It could have been 3-2 either way instead of the misleading, flattering 5-0. Now they have won the ODI series with many of their stars missing. In NZ and Eng conditions, must admit they are slightly better than us in all formats. They always struggle in Australia, so let the recent massacre not cloud our judgement, also Aussies in that mood/form (and batting first in all 3 tests) would have destroyed any team. Ranked joint 3rd in tests, #3 in ODIs.....T20 well the rankings don't mean much in that format. WC finalists 2 times in a row, 2016 WT20 SF losing just one match yada yada, clearly this tour wasn't going to be a walk in the park. 

Moreover they raise their game against India especially in tests and ICC events. Even in the 2016 series whitewash they lost all 3 tosses yet made us work very hard when the series was alive. In ICC events we haven't won against them since the 2003 WC encounter. They enjoy playing us in these big matches, actually weaker teams like SL and Pak have given them more headache. Just a match-up issue I guess. 

Hope this defeat helps us rationalize our WC exit. NZ in the kind of conditions we encountered in the finishing stage of '19 WC are very good. In the SF they outplayed us, in the F they outplayed the best ODI team on the planet. Upcoming test series too will be very tough, NZ has been a difficult place for us and our narrow win in 2009 came against a rubbish side, the weakest they have fielded in the last 3 decades. This bunch of Kiwis at least in terms of stats/potential are the best in their country's history with 3-4 (maybe more) of them in line to enter all time NZ XI.

Edited by Gollum

Wins/losses are a part of the game. You follow the game because you love the game, which includes appreciating good cricket from both sides 

NZ played superb cricket esp. that Taylor-Jamieson p’ship. When Taylor was batting, I even thought about how he hit some 100 runs in the slog overs vs Pak in one of the ODIs in SL (iirc). When Jamieson got going, I had a feeling he could be the MoM 

Overall, well played NZ. For Ind, it is good to see some of the youngsters getting a run. Iyer did relatively well. Need to get Pant in 

No Kane Williamson, no Boult, Matt Henry and Fergusson - thats 4 players missing from the WC final team including almost the entire bowling attack (Santnr didn;'t play today). This was an almost NZ A team.

Losing to them is not okay especially when you have a loudmouth captain and coach who keep repeating how great they and their team is.

Just now, Frustrated said:

We played without our regular openers.  So, the defeat was on the cards.  Accommodating 2 debutants in the opening slot is not going to give you positive results immediately. That too against a tough opponent.

Jamieson turned out be a gold find for NZ.Pace,swing,accuracy and can bat as well.Good sensible tall fellow.

3 hours ago, zen said:

When Taylor was batting, I even thought about how he hit some 100 runs in the slog overs vs Pak in one of the ODIs in SL (iirc).

WC 2011 match at Pallekale

Where Taylor went berserk in slog overs,i think they scored around 100 runs in last 5 overs,Shoaib got pounding of his lifetime which eventually ended his career

This was a Nz A side. Boult,Henry,Ferguson,Santner not in the team.

Williamson not playing.

Even Southee was half fit because we the commentators were saying they had got Ronchi in as an emergency back up and Southee decided to play as he felt marginally better than Santner as they didn’t have enough players or something.

Form depends on many things including motivation. I see that fist game has 25 odd wides and extras. Second game had lots of down the legside stray to 4. Lots of hoicks from nz became 6s. The bowling and fielding are not top notch from India. Its not a critical time for odi, expect the same team to be a bit more focused during tests. 

1 minute ago, Straight Drive said:

We just thrashed Kiwis 5-0 in T20i. There are still 2 ODI's to be played. Perhaps we can hope to draw this series and the team can fly back home with a T20i whitewash and a drawn ODI series that too overseas. Hope for the best.

I think this is 3 match series and we have lost it already

they are a disciplined and well drilled team who do the basics well and are greater than the sum of their parts. usually such teams are also tactically astute which new zealand have been regardless of how much talent they have had since i started watching cricket. I remember them giving that atg aussie team a scare in australia in the 2001 summer, of course that is the only time they have been competitive there. Such a unit will always expose your weaknesses even if you are more talented than them. they were once pakistan's whipping boys but of late that has turned around too, they somehow won the test series in uae  on the back of that 1 match where azhar ali batted like a coward until the end and got out and they lost by 1 run or something. :laugh: 

Edited by rollingstoned