Your Playing 11 for the first test in NZ

Abu Jayed to Agarwal, no run, dropped at first slip! And the bowler isn't pleased at all. Length ball, angling in, and he defends, but the ball takes the outside edge. Flies to first slip, and Kayes fluffs the catch while on his knees. Looked like he grabbed at it instead of waiting for the ball to get to him

Agarwal was 32 then. He went on to make 243. So it is a problem that happens even in India.

4.4 gone! Looking to steer this behind point but gets a thick edge and this is well taken in the gully. Agarwal practices a leave as he walks off. The ball flew off the blade, nicely taken by the concussion sub Mehidy. Al-Amin belts out a roar. 26/1

4.6 this has gone through to third slip and been taken! Draws Agarwal forward with another ball swinging away from a length, and Agarwal, who had poked at a few of these, is forced to play at it. It dies on its way through to Elgar, but he takes a good, sharp catch low to his right. South Africa have that vital breakthrough, and this is India's lowest opening partnership of this series yet 12/1

7.6 ripping, bouncing turn and he's caught the high part of the outside edge. Length ball again, at a superb pace. Nice and loopy, drawing him forward and away from his body. Taken easily at first slip 21/1
On 2/10/2020 at 12:10 AM, Cricwala said:

for all we know, Vihari might open with Mayank, and we cld play with both Jadeja & Ashwin as part of 5-man attack.

All depends on which side of bed Kohli gets up from, or which player forgot to greet him in the hotel corridor the night before :nono:

This is exactly what's gonna happen. 

Vihari is such a solid middle order batsman. It is hard to find a decent pressure batsman down the order. He saves us in West Indies too. Why should we mess up his career like we did with KL Rahul. He has temperament. strokes. Also he could be susceptible against swing. Sending VIhari to open with 3 openers in the side is a travesty. Hope they don't make that stupid move.

Agarwal

Gill

Pujara

Rat

Rahane

Vihari

Pant

Umesh

Saini

Shami

Bumrah

Umesh + Saini will be like one bowler. Can't afford to play only one of them and Indian spinners are useless anyway in Sena. 

Prefer Gill over Shaw even though he failed in the practice game. Should give him a long rope for atleast 2-3 series. 

32 minutes ago, Cricspin said:

This wont happen..  likely neither Unesh or Saini will play. 

Rushing Ishant will not be a good decision. I feel they should go offensive in the first test with full pace attack.

They can then slot in Jadeja for the second match and go on a bit defensive if they managed to win first test match. 

1.. Shaw

2. Mayank

3. Pujara

4. Kohli

5. Rahane 

6. Vihari

7. Pant

8. Jadeja

9. Umesh

10. Shami

11. Bumrah 

I think this is the safe conservative option that team India will take.

There is a batting lineup till 8, 3 fast bowlers and Jadeja, with Vihari bowling maybe 5-10 overs.

If there is no rain, there will be a result. Its just a matter if NZ believe they can beat India with their bowling attack.

The key to the lineup will be the batting spine of Pujara, Kohli and Rahane.

One of Umesh, Shami or Bumrah will need to deliver with Jadeja chipping in.

On 2/9/2020 at 12:49 AM, express bowling said:

My playing 11

1. Gill

2. Mayank

3. Pujara

4. Kohli

5. Rahane 

6. Vihari

7. Pant

8. Jadeja

9. Saini

10. Shami

11. Bumrah 

----  Gill is in red hot form in the Unofficial Tests in NZ. Just scored a century as an opener after his 204* and 83 in the last game. He should be one of the openers.

---- Saini should play ahead of Umesh ... he is in excellent form and Umesh is unreliable in tests in SENA.

----  I prefer Pant in tests in SENA. He catches well to pacers and is a much better batsman than Saha. This is needed in SENA.

----  This is a very strong batting line-up till 8  ... 3 top quality genuine fast bowlers ... 5 bowling options including Vihari.

I think Shaw will get the nod ahead of Shubman, and I agree with that call.

If you want to pick Pant to bolster the batting, I would want to see it coupled with more than a 3 seamer & Jaddu attack.  Vihari is literally only good for a handful of 'filler' overs.  And Jadeja on a track that doesn't grip, especially in the 1st innings, can only be hoped for control at best.  In other words, its a bit of a defensive move this - to stack the batting, especially if you are going to go with a debutant 3rd seamer.  Given India's history in series openers, is there an argument for a defensive selection? Yes.  But I would want more information on the track before committing to such a toyger style batting heavy test XI.  

2 hours ago, sandeep said:

If you want to pick Pant to bolster the batting, I would want to see it coupled with more than a 3 seamer & Jaddu attack.  Vihari is literally only good for a handful of 'filler' overs.  And Jadeja on a track that doesn't grip, especially in the 1st innings, can only be hoped for control at best.  In other words, its a bit of a defensive move this - to stack the batting, especially if you are going to go with a debutant 3rd seamer.  Given India's history in series openers, is there an argument for a defensive selection? Yes.  But I would want more information on the track before committing to such a toyger style batting heavy test XI.  

I, being a fast-bowling fan primary, would love to see 4 fast bowlers play along with Jaddu.

But if that 4th pacer is Umesh, bowling without the SG ball, I am not sure it adds any material value. I would love it if he proves me wrong though, as it would give us more realistic options.

If Ishant was match fit, and he is not, then it would have been a different issue. Bumrah, Shami, Saini and Ishant would have been a handful. 

Playing both Ash and Jaddu would be a waste. Both are bad bowlers in tests in Sena 

Another important factor is that both our openers will be untested or out of form. So, some bolstered batting becomes essential.

If we get a very flat wicket then a 4th quick, in place of a batter, makes sense.