The GOAT wins Laureus Sporting moment

Cricketics

Can there be a GOAT wrestler? So many weight categories, so many different styles: Freestyle. Folkstyle, Greco-Roman. Sure a guy like Aleksandr Karelin has a legit claim but can't get everyone to agree. In boxing if someone says Ali is GOAT, I can give few reasons why Sugar Ray Robinson (or even Mayweather Jr.) has a stronger claim. Sachin's dominance, achievements, legacy don't set him apart from the crowd as much as these guys, too many flaws....sorry but some harsh truths need to be laid out even if fanboys feel offended. 

Edited by Gollum
3 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

That's an interesting thought. Maybe because of the "christian" west doesn't believe in other gods (but still worship them anyway). The whole ad business runs off of Beckham, Jordan and Bradman is still widely respected according to many Aussies and English as well. They keep forgetting that Bradman was a poor administrator of ACB. It took the loud mouthed Chappell, the Ian variety to give a different opinion. Still Ian Chappell is not widely regarded as a cricketing icon by many Aussies of that era. How many fans buy Beckham shirts and Jordan sneakers. If that is not hero worship, I don't know what it is. Its the same thing everywhere no matter how they spin it. It just boils down to the hypocrisy of the anglo countries. Even in Pakistan, Imran's words are seen as a cure all of all socioeconomic ills that face the padosis and that Imran can do no wrong which is not the case. That was the reason he was elected as PM. Its only because of their religious beliefs that they don't call him god but give the same adulation that Sachin receives.

exactly, 'Cricket is a religion in India, Tendulkar is its God' line aligns with the condescending portrayal of India as an "irrational, polytheistic country" which worships anything & everything (West doesn't actually respect us for our diversity as the colonized intelligentsia would have you believe), while the West is "rational, scientific, structured even in matter of religion with OTG (One True God), a proper book & prophet etc."

Sports fans in the West are really just fans, unlike Indians and Latinos who are 'crazy freaks' - so what if Western countries actually have a phenomenon known as "groupies" where young women are conditioned to throw themselves at sports jocks and musicians as the 'normal' thing to do, where an overrated English soccer team moves around with a crazy press corps that will cover every piece of salacious gossip about players' private lives and portray players like Rooney & Beckham as GODS only to have their hopes dashed EVERY TIME by the much lower profile, but far more efficient Germans :) 

Edited by Cricwala
1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Can there be a GOAT wrestler? So many weight categories, so many different styles: Freestyle. Folkstyle, Greco-Roman. Sure a guy like Aleksandr Karelin has a legit claim but can't get everyone to agree. In boxing if someone says Ali is GOAT, I can give few reasons why Sugar Ray Robinson (or even Mayweather Jr.) has a stronger claim. Sachin's dominance, achievements, legacy don't set him apart from the crowd as much as these guys, too many flaws....sorry but some harsh truths need to be laid out even if fanboys feel offended. 

agree...this GOAT thing is mostly just marketing & hype. Maybe someone like Michael Jordan could be called GOAT of basketball - again, am no basketball expert and am just going with the received wisdom from limited reading of American sports media. Personally, I consider Lara as the more exciting batsman even in Tendulkar's generation - Lara had a touch of genius, that exaggerated backlift and whiplash strokeplay....his batting against peak Aussies in 99-00 series was the some of the best test cricket I have seen. 

2 minutes ago, Cricwala said:

agree...this GOAT thing is mostly just marketing & hype. Maybe someone like Michael Jordan could be called GOAT of basketball - again, am no basketball expert and am just going with the received wisdom from limited reading of American sports media. Personally, I consider Lara as the more exciting batsman even in Tendulkar's generation - Lara had a touch of genius, that exaggerated backlift and whiplash strokeplay....his batting against peak Aussies in 99-00 series was the some of the best test cricket I have seen. 

Lara has 400. Poor tendu couldn't even get past 250 in tests :hysterical:

1 hour ago, Cricwala said:

So a 16 year old Sachin belting some of the best bowlers in their own backyard wasnt a touch of genius? Lara sucked in Australia except that one innings, Sachin dominated them both home and away

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

Sachin's dominance, achievements, legacy don't set him apart from the crowd as much as these guys, too many flaws....sorry but some harsh truths need to be laid out even if fanboys feel offended. 

In the end he has some of the highest achievements and awards in the sports and country, including Bharat Ratna and this award now. So I wonder who is the true deluded one here. I love how you preemptly talk about offense, etc. This has been the all time strategy of Sachin detractors, usually they will say something devoid of logic and if anyone replies it will be because they are offended, etc. 

Everyone wh gave him those awards and regards him so highly are deluded and the handful of people who think he is over-rated must be the right ones I guess. Absolutely nothing wrong with having opinions of course. But the funny thing is when people pretend a)somehow because they go against something popular its the truth and b)they are the only objective ones and EVERYONE else is wrong or fanboys or whatever other terms are right

46 minutes ago, New guy said:

In the end he has some of the highest achievements and awards in the sports and country, including Bharat Ratna and this award now. So I wonder who is the true deluded one here.

No one is denying that but not enough to be GOAT in my opinion. You didn't have to bring up Bharat Ratna because it has been tarnished for a long time now, SRT has enough achievements in his resume without that stupid political award. 

46 minutes ago, New guy said:

I love how you preemptly talk about offense, etc. This has been the all time strategy of Sachin detractors, usually they will say something devoid of logic and if anyone replies it will be because they are offended, etc. 

Every time I give a contrary opinion in a Tendulkar thread a flurry of trollvotes follow, even in posts where I give genuine compliments...not talking about just this thread, based on my time here for more than half a dozen years. I have been on SM long enough to notice the tendency of Sachin fans to lose their **** every time he isn't praised to the skies, of course all sportsmen have dedicated fandoms but nowhere as sensitive as Sachinstas. This coming from someone who has often gone OTT (in a bad way) in Dhoni related topics. It is common knowledge what happened to Sharapova when she said she didn't know him. Also Sachin fans lack the sense of humour, an unfortunate Indian trait but exacerbated when it comes to him. 

If there is something devoid of logic correct course of action should be to ignore or counter, not be passive-aggressive. For instance here if I say the choice of Laureus was wrong or that he isn't GOAT, civilized discourse entails proving why that award was well deserved and why he is GOAT. Not going on a trollvote spree or character analysis. 

8 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

This making a player or an actor into gods is a disease in India. Once they are made into gods, anyone criticizing their god is a devil worshiper according to them and scam artists like that weasel boria muzumdar or whatever his name is will sell anything to fans in the name of their god. A lesser form of a god is hero worship. Thala as you know means leader and its attributed to Rajini and Dhoni. Rajini's fame came naturally but if you wanna nitpick he became a superstar to the 90s kids because of the "superstar yaarunu kaetta" song. Dhoni became thala due to :csk: 's PR team and media. They had to do it to be the face of CSK. Kids who are Dhoni fans or Virat fans go through the same feelings as Sachin's fans did in the 90s maybe a little lesser because Sachin was a better player and there was no one in that class in India when he played. Not the case with Dhoni or Virat.

Another poor attempt of making cricketers into gods for monetary purposes is by that fat cvnt boria who was trying to sell the book Eleven Gods and a Billion Indians: The On and Off the Field Story of Cricket in India and Beyond He co-authored Sachin's book. Nice choice because he speaks in the same squeaky tone as Sachin :phehe: I hope that book eleven gods was a total flop. If it wasn't, I will pray to Shiva to end this earth :rage:

the thing that stands out the most is this opinion that pagan pacifist dirty indians can be lulled by calling someone 'God' or it is ok to normalize this shitty behavior wtf is making a GOD out of a sportsperson ?? or a dirty politician etc its not normal its not OK. someone who does it is a loony. 

*ing dumb * boriaa character and his nasal tones looks like a fat pig but poses like a ufc fighter, his gutter class brain can only think about absurd overhype like that 11 gods and billion unwashed masses etc.  piece of ****.

Edited by Vilander
7 hours ago, Cricwala said:

'Cricket is a religion in India, and Tendulkar is God' s**t thrown around by white babalog and lapped up by our brown sahibs.

exactly wtf is that why should a passionate following of a sport in India be a religion ??? why wtf Indians cant have passion for a sport anything Indians follow with ferver has to be religion or be compared to one ?? i mean Indians make the most babies talk about passion MC BC, we know it ,so is unprotected sex a religion too ??

6 hours ago, Stradlater said:

Knock it off dude :whack:

As a (Hindu/cultural Hindu/dharmic) doesn't it piss you off when our idiots make Gods out of mortals. Not just the babas, but also the politicians, celebs and sportsmen. We have temples for Sachin, Rajini, Modi, Khushboo etc. I find this behavior insulting, a mockery of my beliefs. What next, in Sachin temples will McGrath, Donald, Ponting, Anderson be the asuras? Blame our idiotic fanboys for denigrating our faith system. And when these goras join in, even more irritating....as if they are taking the mickey out of us. Sachin is a mere mortal who was tremendously successful in a wood/leather game, no enlightened soul or patriot who gave his life for the country against impossible odds...this much of hype and worship is unnecessary. 

PS- Real McCoy and Vilander made similar points and I agree with them. 

Edited by Gollum
1 minute ago, Gollum said:

As a (Hindu/cultural Hindu/dharmic) doesn't it piss you off when our idiots make Gods out of mortals. Not just the babas, but also the celebs and sportsmen. We have temples for Sachin, Rajini, Khushboo etc. I find this behavior insulting, a mockery of my beliefs. What next, in Sachin temples will McGrath, Donald, Ponting, Anderson be the asuras? Blame our idiotic fanboys for denigrating our faith system. And when these goras join in, even more irritating....as if they are taking the mickey out of us. Sachin is a mere mortal who has tremendously successful in a wood/leather game, no enlightened soul or patriot who gave his life for the country against impossible odds...this much of hype and worship is unnecessary. 

India *ing lacks Progressive Right man its just the way it is. its just dim populist lunatic right and fifth column left nothing in-between

3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

As a (Hindu/cultural Hindu/dharmic) doesn't it piss you off when our idiots make Gods out of mortals. Not just the babas, but also the politicians, celebs and sportsmen. We have temples for Sachin, Rajini, Modi, Khushboo etc. I find this behavior insulting, a mockery of my beliefs. What next, in Sachin temples will McGrath, Donald, Ponting, Anderson be the asuras? Blame our idiotic fanboys for denigrating our faith system. And when these goras join in, even more irritating....as if they are taking the mickey out of us. Sachin is a mere mortal who has tremendously successful in a wood/leather game, no enlightened soul or patriot who gave his life for the country against impossible odds...this much of hype and worship is unnecessary. 

Yeah I detest this chutiyaap too even though I used to be a huge fan. 

It's mouthbreathers like @Laaloo who give us sane sachinistas a bad name. 

7 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Thala as you know means leader and its attributed to Rajini and Dhoni. Rajini's fame came naturally but if you wanna nitpick he became a superstar to the 90s kids because of the "superstar yaarunu kaetta" song. Dhoni became thala due to :csk: 's PR team and media.

its free enterprise to an extent all the PR campaigns but hero workship of cons from movie industry makes me sick, but for me the real boundary is really where someone brings in faith and prejudice. oh Indians have a billions gods so its quite normal there to make Sachin a GOD, i feel like asking the goras who do this "* off smelly arse cant stand the stench did you use a bidet in the morning or do you still have **** stuck in a-hole ? ".

4 hours ago, Cricwala said:

Maybe someone like Michael Jordan could be called GOAT of basketball

there is some truth in it and rest is hype but there is also some evidence, like when he came back to a training session to a pro who called him out after his retirement and absolutely owned his ass..i will post that video. Michael Jordan was probably GOAT there, and Sachin could be too in terms of Run scoring *ing epic but this God business is pathetic.