Highly overrated films n Tv shows acc to you

Ankit_sharma03

On 4/24/2020 at 9:53 PM, rkt.india said:

They are overrated but that doesn't mean they are bad. People like them because they are good entertainment.

I think of films as an interior decorating assignment. An interior decorator needs good furniture (plot line) and good aesthetic sense (CGI/Acting) to make the home unique. An interior designer can use substandard, but good looking furniture and arrange it in a really nice way. But on closer inspection, people will realize that this is not the real deal.

3 hours ago, Ranvir said:

I think Goodfellas is the best Italian American Mafia movie of all time. The Godfather is just too slow moving. A Bronx Tale is another great mafia movie.

Shawshank is good but I don't find it as good as people say it is.

Well Goodfellas is a different type of mafia film, it portrays the violent aspects of the mafia life. It's like a different sub-genre altogether. Godfather is more nuanced and deals with the characters in a family run mafia. Both are good in their own ways. 

1 hour ago, I6MTW said:

Well Goodfellas is a different type of mafia film, it portrays the violent aspects of the mafia life. It's like a different sub-genre altogether. Godfather is more nuanced and deals with the characters in a family run mafia. Both are good in their own ways. 

That's what I like about Goodfellas. It shows the mafia to be the violent psychopathic scum that they truly are. The Godfather on the other hand glorifies and glamourises them somewhat.

Goodfellas is more realistic and is based on a true story.

5 hours ago, Ranvir said:

That's what I like about Goodfellas. It shows the mafia to be the violent psychopathic scum that they truly are. The Godfather on the other hand glorifies and glamourises them somewhat.

Goodfellas is more realistic and is based on a true story.

Godfather is written by Mario Puzo. the story starts after WWII till 70s . It is based on a different school of mafia thought about immigrants from Sicilly to US and surviving in NYC. Goodfellas is about homegrown mafia neighborhoods in NJ/NYC from the 70s, 80s, so they are different stories and can’t be seen in the same scale

16 hours ago, Mariyam said:

I think of films as an interior decorating assignment. An interior decorator needs good furniture (plot line) and good aesthetic sense (CGI/Acting) to make the home unique. An interior designer can use substandard, but good looking furniture and arrange it in a really nice way. But on closer inspection, people will realize that this is not the real deal.

As a student of cinema, I would say plot alone isn't cinema.  What is plot? Plot is a story you want to tell and different stories are told in different ways.  There are some complicated stories, some simple stories. Some tell complicated stories in simple ways while some tell simple stories in complicated ways.  Ultimate purpose of cinema is to entertain and engage the viewer but with cinematic elements. If any film combines these elements with entertainment, they become great. Even if you have a good story but it's execution can't hold viewer's attention, it wont become great.  Regarding superhero movie, it isn't the story but how the story is told and its impact on viewers like in case of DiCaprio's The Revenent. Avengers Endgame is probably the greatest superhero movie ever. We will have to compare this movie to other movies of its own genre.  We aren't going to compare it to Godfather or Goodfellas or Shawshank Redemption. 

A simple plotline well executed that creates impact is what's important. Again will say cinema isn't just a story or a plot. Stories you can read in novels too. Cinema is much bigger, has many more elements to it. Watch the movie Bokeh, you will know how you can like a movie without a story. It's not great but it's beautiful and likeable. 

Edited by rkt.india

On 4/23/2020 at 7:52 PM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

DDLJ

Kuch kuch hota hai

Raja hindustani

Great point.. These were some of the worst gaudy snooze fests ever created.. Creative high point for apeshitwood...totally tasteless for rest of the world.

1 minute ago, Vilander said:

Great point.. These were some of the worst gaudy snooze fests ever created.. Creative high point for apeshitwood...totally tasteless for rest of the world.

creativity is subjective and i can understood a lot of creative calls were taken due to times in which films were made but i dont even find these films good. hum aapke hai kon n dil to pagal hai were in same times but i liked them