Dhoni's last match in competitive cricket?

sourab10forever

Will Sunday's match against Punjab be Dhoni's Last IPL match(And probably the last in any form of competitive cricket)?

I know CSK owner has said that he will continue next year but I highly doubt it. The man is just done. Looks tired.

Remember, this year is the end of the 3-year cycle and next year will be a fresh auction with players being signed on a new three-year contract. I don't think Dhoni will sign one.

Typical Dhoni will keep everyone in guessing mode till the very last minute. What do you think?

4 hours ago, puneet28 said:

The way he is getting out. It is such a sad ending to his career. I don't understand why Indian players like to stretch it to very late. He should have retired at least 2 years ago. 

After the 2015 semi-final exit or latest after the ignominy of getting booed at Lords, he should have hung up his shoes. Ever since, we all have waited in vain for the return of the MSD of 10 years ago into Team India.

Watching this season's CSK performance, I couldn't help but re-live the frustration of the submissive, gutless performances of the Indian team during 2011/12, which were all put away with process platitudes by MSD. 

I don't believe that he will go away after his team finished at the bottom of the table. Whether right or wrong, I expect him to be back next season to correct that record & hope to leave in a blaze of glory. 

17 hours ago, sourab10forever said:

Will Sunday's match against Punjab be Dhoni's Last IPL match(And probably the last in any form of competitive cricket)?

I know CSK owner has said that he will continue next year but I highly doubt it. The man is just done. Looks tired.

Remember, this year is the end of the 3-year cycle and next year will be a fresh auction with players being signed on a new three-year contract. I don't think Dhoni will sign one.

Typical Dhoni will keep everyone in guessing mode till the very last minute. What do you think?

There is no auction before next year's IPL

40 minutes ago, jf1gp_1 said:

He has to now be viewed as a good keeper - captain. CSK now has to decide is they are alright with him playing such a role next year. 

Their only consideration will be if he can still draw the crowds or not. By now, even casual fans must have realized that he is a mere shadow of his heyday. But if the IPL happens in India, there is chance of crowds showing up to see the legend in action one last time and bid farewell. 

21 hours ago, nevada said:

Their only consideration will be if he can still draw the crowds or not. By now, even casual fans must have realized that he is a mere shadow of his heyday. But if the IPL happens in India, there is chance of crowds showing up to see the legend in action one last time and bid farewell. 

Quite likely that Dhoni is contractually bound to 'flaunt' his brands on and off the field for a certain period of time and will stick around till he honours those contracts. Why would he want to lose out on an important revenue stream?

If Dhoni is grooming himself for a career in politics, an extended delay in total retirement is bound to hurt him. He is losing goodwill and most of his fans are already :mad: