Is 2021 going to be the final year of Virat Kohli as captain?

SecondSlip

Virat Kohli will be under tremendous pressure this year to cling on to his captaincy in all 3 formats! The CoA doesn't exist anymore to save him, and neither BCCI is RCB where he can choose to do all he wants! 

With Rahane winning the test series in Australia, it has rung alarm bells all over that we have a very capable replacement if we ever do strip Virat of his captaincy. The excuse of "If not Kohli, then who?" holds no water anymore! Winning the series at the Gabba is an amazing way to make a statement! A lot of people on social media also want Rahane to take over full time captaincy right now because they feel that India will win many more tests particularly in SENA as compared to Kohli! I believe the 5 test series in England this summer will be the final time we see Virat as test captain. If we lose that series, Kohli and his fans will have absolutely no excuse as to why they lost when we just defeated a much better Australian team that to at the Gabba! BCCI and Ganguly might just go right in for the kill and remove Kohli as test captain! 

Also, IPL 2021 is coming very soon as well. Everyone on planet Earth knows that RCB will never win the trophy under this joker's captaincy anyways. I believe if Rohit wins another trophy for Mumbai Indians, then the BCCI will have absolutely no justification to keep Kohli as captain in white-ball cricket. Rohit has already already won 5 trophies for the Mumbai Indians franchise and a 6th one might very well be on its way as well this May. How much more longer are we going to deny him Team India's captaincy in ODIs & T20s? As Gambhir said, it's only India's loss that Rohit isn't our captain. We have a T20 World Cup at home this October, which neither me nor many other people see us winning only because of who our captain will be for that tournament. A guy who has done nothing for 8 years as IPL captain can win a World Cup only in his dreams!  

I believe that this year is going to be the most toughest year for Virat as captain, because there's a big chance he will go back empty handed at the end of it. The test series in England and the T20 World Cup at home should be the final nail in the coffin for Captain Kohli and his supporters. By November 2021, Kohli should have lost the captaincy in all 3 formats! The ball is in his court now, you either win or you either perish. Because this is Team India and no player is bigger than the team! Team India has shown to the whole world that they don't need you to win and be a very successful side! 

read & watch the player interviews. Rahane and Ashwin both said Ravi Shastri decided the strategies and who should be in playing 11. Ashwin and Sridhar said - Getting more left handers in the side was joint idea by Ravi & Kohli - before Kohli left. 

Getting Ash to bowl within first hour in Melbourne was 100% Shastri's idea.

Yes, when they make dumb selections, curse them, crucify them. Rahane was amazing this test series. But the fitness and fast bowling culture was not initiated by him... When you are in the middle, batting against Cummins, Hazlewood, starc. Lyon, you are not batting because your captain told you to stay there; you are doing it for yourself and your country. 

I see a 100 reasons to applaud Rahane and this team. I do not see any reason to remove Kohli from captaincy. And yes, it was a ballsy move to take paternity leave - I also applaud Kohli for that.  

13 hours ago, kruiser said:

read & watch the player interviews. Rahane and Ashwin both said Ravi Shastri decided the strategies and who should be in playing 11. Ashwin and Sridhar said - Getting more left handers in the side was joint idea by Ravi & Kohli - before Kohli left. 

Yes, when they make dumb selections, curse them, crucify them. Rahane was amazing this test series. But the fitness and fast bowling culture was not initiated by him... When you are in the middle, batting against Cummins, Hazlewood, starc. Lyon, you are not batting because your captain told you to stay there; you are doing it for yourself and your country. 

I see a 100 reasons to applaud Rahane and this team. I do not see any reason to remove Kohli from captaincy. And yes, it was a ballsy move to take paternity leave - I also applaud Kohli for that.  

I thought @putrevus was the only Kohlitard on this forum but it’s good to see you come out of the closet as well! :laugh:

Even if I agreed to your point of letting Virat remain as test captain, what justification or excuse do you have to let him remain in charge of our white-ball teams? 

13 hours ago, kruiser said:

Obviously the players know the power of Kohli-Shastri. Did you expect Rahane to say I made decisions independently? He would have never played again for India if he said so.

On getting more left handers in the team, Kohli-Shastri had the Pant option in first test, who was also in better form, plus his stellar record in Aus but they still picked Saha. Thats shows these players are just buttering the power duo, which is sad for a professional setup.

3 hours ago, SecondSlip said:

I thought @putrevus was the only Kohlitard on this forum but it’s good to see you come out of the closet as well! :laugh:

Even if I agreed to your point of letting Virat remain as test captain, what justification or excuse do you have to let him remain in charge of our white-ball teams? 

What is Kohlitard.I was not wrong on Shastri or Arun when everyone was clamoring for overseas coaches.Shastri said it best This is Kohli's team and Rahane led well in his absence.

Kohli I repeat just incase you have a problem in understanding, is the best captain for India in all formats. He is 100 times better test captain than Rahane ever will be.Rahane deserves all the credit and accolades he is getting but he is not better than Kohli as a captain. Let him justify his role as batsman first.

Edited by putrevus
19 hours ago, SecondSlip said:

Virat Kohli will be under tremendous pressure this year to cling on to his captaincy in all 3 formats! The CoA doesn't exist anymore to save him, and neither BCCI is RCB where he can choose to do all he wants! 

With Rahane winning the test series in Australia, it has rung alarm bells all over that we have a very capable replacement if we ever do strip Virat of his captaincy. The excuse of "If not Kohli, then who?" holds no water anymore! Winning the series at the Gabba is an amazing way to make a statement! A lot of people on social media also want Rahane to take over full time captaincy right now because they feel that India will win many more tests particularly in SENA as compared to Kohli! I believe the 5 test series in England this summer will be the final time we see Virat as test captain. If we lose that series, Kohli and his fans will have absolutely no excuse as to why they lost when we just defeated a much better Australian team that to at the Gabba! BCCI and Ganguly might just go right in for the kill and remove Kohli as test captain! 

Also, IPL 2021 is coming very soon as well. Everyone on planet Earth knows that RCB will never win the trophy under this joker's captaincy anyways. I believe if Rohit wins another trophy for Mumbai Indians, then the BCCI will have absolutely no justification to keep Kohli as captain in white-ball cricket. Rohit has already already won 5 trophies for the Mumbai Indians franchise and a 6th one might very well be on its way as well this May. How much more longer are we going to deny him Team India's captaincy in ODIs & T20s? As Gambhir said, it's only India's loss that Rohit isn't our captain. We have a T20 World Cup at home this October, which neither me nor many other people see us winning only because of who our captain will be for that tournament. A guy who has done nothing for 8 years as IPL captain can win a World Cup only in his dreams!  

I believe that this year is going to be the most toughest year for Virat as captain, because there's a big chance he will go back empty handed at the end of it. The test series in England and the T20 World Cup at home should be the final nail in the coffin for Captain Kohli and his supporters. By November 2021, Kohli should have lost the captaincy in all 3 formats! The ball is in his court now, you either win or you either perish. Because this is Team India and no player is bigger than the team! Team India has shown to the whole world that they don't need you to win and be a very successful side! 

Isn't the t20 wc scheduled in Australia ??

4 hours ago, SecondSlip said:

Why would I need an excuse to make anyone the captain? Make Bumrah the captain for all I care.  As we are seeing the multiple interviews in last two days - captain is just one voice. The coaches play a key role in devising on field strategy as well as off field selections. 

I will be happy to have Rohit captain white ball if that helps the team. Only thing a captain needs to do is to keep the team united and motivated..

And yes, I was a Sachin fan. A Dravid fan. In the current team, to me Kohli is the player that defines who we are. You may disagree, and thats OK. Same as Dhoni defined the team in his peak as best middle-overs stranglers, Kohli has made it more energetic and bold. I do not want to see meek - satisfied - docile Inidan team. Who ever is the captain, want to see passion and drive and hearts on the sleeve.

I am a team India fan - who ever plays! 

19 hours ago, kruiser said:

I do not see any reason to remove Kohli from captaincy.

Let's see drops Rahane from first two tests in SA, drops BK for second test in SA. Picks TTF Dhawan over KL in SA, Pujara in Eng. Has two spinners on Lord's - the greenest of green tracks wit overnight rains & basically playing under lights. Picks unfit Ashwin for 4th test, doesn't pick Jadeja until the very end in last test. Should I go on? Oh yeah let's no forget a timely FU adios to Kumble at CT finals :bow:

See the source image

28 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

Let's see drops Rahane from first two tests in SA, drops BK for second test in SA. Picks TTF Dhawan over KL in SA, Pujara in Eng. Has two spinners on Lord's - the greenest of green tracks wit overnight rains & basically playing under lights. Picks unfit Ashwin for 4th test, doesn't pick Jadeja until the very end in last test. Should I go on? Oh yeah let's no forget a timely FU adios to Kumble at CT finals :bow:

See the source image

What did Rahane do in England , he stunk except one fifties proving Shastri was right. KL Rahul stunk over five different continents in test matches. Dhawan was given a chance just like Shaw to see if works. That is not coahing or selection mistake.That is just a gamble which they took.

There is no one in team who is undroppable except Kohli, Bumrah and now Pujara. Everyone else can be rotated as per the pitch and form.

9 minutes ago, putrevus said:

What did Rahane do in England , he stunk except one fifties proving Shastri was right. KL Rahul stunk over five different continents in test matches. Dhawan was given a chance just like Shaw to see if works. That is not coahing or selection mistake.That is just a gamble which they took.

There is no one in team who is undroppable except Kohli, Bumrah and now Pujara. Everyone else can be rotated as per the pitch and form.

Kohli has dropped Pujara also I think 

Jadeja has been playing with kohli since his u19 days but jadeja was in the team more no of times under dhoni captaincy than under kohli 

Kohli never backs any player even sehwag reminded him that if dhoni had not backed kohli after his failure in England series  and in two test against Aussies kohli would not have made this far

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cricket/story/inspiration-cheteshwar-pujara-on-being-dropped-from-indian-test-team-for-slow-strike-rate-1646816-2020-02-15

Edited by helperononline
1 minute ago, helperononline said:

Kohli has dropped Pujara also I think 

Jadeja has been playing with kohli since his u19 days but jadeja was in the team more no of times under dhoni captaincy than under kohli 

Kohli never backs any player even sehwag reminded him that if dhoni had not backed kohli after his failure in England series  and in two test against Aussies kohli would not have made this far

Kohli's job is to play best players he thinks will win the match for him.Pujara failed to score a run in county cricket for two months before that tour. Ashwin was the lead spinner till he flopped then Jadeja became lead spinner. Was jadeja not preferred over Ashwin in Australian series in 2018?

He did back Rahul by playing him even though he rarely scored double digit score till Australian series when Mayank debuted.There is nothing wrong in dropping player .As I said there is no player other than Bumrah and Kohli who are undroppable.

Now if they drop Pujara you should have a problem. They are not idiots to drop players who will win matches for them.

4 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Kohli's job is to play best players he thinks will win the match for him.Pujara failed to score a run in county cricket for two months before that tour. Ashwin was the lead spinner till he flopped then Jadeja became lead spinner. Was jadeja not preferred over Ashwin in Australian series in 2018?

He did back Rahul by playing him even though he rarely scored double digit score till Australian series when Mayank debuted.There is nothing wrong in dropping player .As I said there is no player other than Bumrah and Kohli who are undroppable.

Now if they drop Pujara you should have a problem. They are not idiots to drop players who will win matches for them.

Pujara got dropped because of strike rate read the above enclosed articles mentioned in my previous post 

This is pujara performance year and year 

Dropping ashwin was not a bad decision since most of other team were able to read his mystery balls

but I beleive even jadeja was dropped from ODI frankly I stopped following cricket after kohli started captaining so I am not able to recollect when jadeja was dropped 

Screenshot_20210122-233302.jpg

1 hour ago, R!TTER said:

See the source image

The picture also displays a man who fought with cancer while playing world cup for India. He is laughing too. 

I guess he was also not committed to Indian Cricket? 

5 minutes ago, helperononline said:

Pujara got dropped because of strike rate read the above enclosed articles mentioned in my previous post 

This is pujara performance year and year 

Dropping ashwin was not a bad decision since most of other team were able to read his mystery balls

but I beleive even jadeja was dropped from ODI frankly I stopped following cricket after kohli started captaining so I am not able to recollect when jadeja was dropped 

Screenshot_20210122-233302.jpg

Pujara wasn't able to score a run in county, but not only that he was an utter failure in SA tour, so it was an easy decision to make. 

If a guy can't make a run in county cricket against international rejects then why would Kohli give him a chance. He was totally out of form. 

This strike rate theory is BS. 

If he was dropped on basis of strike rate then he wouldn't have played more than 10 matches in his career. 

10 hours ago, putrevus said:

Dhawan replaced KL in the first test of SA, this was when Rahul was actually playing well ...was ranked 6th in ICC tests ranking ...lol